Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Haven't been to Whole Foods. I could care less. They remind me of Walmart with the way they moved into the market late, and right on the doorstep of local businesses. So what if the grapes aren't perfect at YOBS? I will and do give them some slack because I prefer to shop at a local business over a chain any day of the week.

The way some people have fallen all over themselves to support Whole Foods saddens me, when in spite of popular opinion the central core has many good food options. Harbortown has been slow lately. Locally owned, a clean and well-stocked store, ample, guarded parking, and they've been serving the neighborhood for more than a quarter of a century. Some prices are a bit high, but consider they have an upscale community literally in their back yard. Most prices are competitive and sale prices are often excellent. I would hate to see them, Lafayette Foods, Honey Bee, University Foods or YOBS become casualties of WF.

This is food we're talking about folks, not a new car. You consume it every day. Spread the wealth around or don't cry crocodile tears when one of them closes.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I think the name is just fine. To even suggest a Piggly Wiggly is needed is an insult. They don't even exist in the north.
    1. Companies invest in new regions all of the time.

2. Based on your flippant remark, are you seriously suggesting that Detroit doesn't need more chain grocery stores that sell everyday items at reasnable prices [[or at least grocery store owners that don't sell outdated, overpriced food in poorly maintained excuses for supermarkets).

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I dunno. The name "Old Butcher Shop" makes me think of a butcher that sells old meat. I've eaten stringy chicken breast sandwich before and was told the reason it tasted so bad was because it was from an old chicken. Maybe the problem is the name. Maybe they should change their name to Detroit's Finest Meats Butcher shop or the World's Best Meats Butcher Shop.
    You of all people [[from Canada) are questioning the use of a name following an old custom?? Funny that.... http://www.thecanadaguide.com/legal-system

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-peop.php#more

Curbed has been reading this thread. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    I shop there pretty regularly and like it a lot. There is always ample parking behind the building and on the street to the side of the building. Anyone complaining about the parking there is barking up the wrong tree.

That said, the name is awful, whether or not the family has history with the name. At least a dozen people that I've talked to about it when I was pimping it pretty hard had the impression that it was a butcher and not a full-service grocer. Sucks for them, but I'll still go there when I'm going high-end so I don't have to deal with the lines and whatnot at WF. Otherwise, it's UFoods or Honeybee.
    I knew it was a full grocer from reading about it, but I went there with the expectation that they had a heavy focus on meat. The first time I went, I was looking for some good sausage. Much to my dismay, they didn't even carry any house-made sausage! There are some good things about it [[beer selection, quality cheese/produce selection, easy in/out) but their identity is not good. I like it, and would frequent it much more if I lived nearby, but it's not worth going out of my way to shop at. I do my regular shopping at Lafayette Foods since it's close, and WF/HB if I want something better or different.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You of all people [[from Canada) are questioning the use of a name following an old custom?? Funny that.... http://www.thecanadaguide.com/legal-system
    What the??

What does the Canadian legal system have to do with a butcher shop? If something doesn't work, you evolve and change with the times, just like your article says: "...the Canadian legal system has undergone tremendous evolution over the last century and a half."

Using that article as an example, "The British North America Act of 1867" was replaced with "The Constitution Act". The name was changed. Let's try to stay on topic.
    Last edited by davewindsor; November-07-13 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-peop.php#more

Curbed has been reading this thread. LOL
    I emailed the author of that article last night asking if they could run something too.

Ye olde car wont starte.

Ye Olde Spice aftershave smelles awfulle.

Ye olde lady is mad at you for getting drunke.

My olde heade is sleepye.

G'nighte y'alle.

P.S. Please staye on topicke.
    Last edited by canuck; November-07-13 at 09:28 PM.

I shop at YOB but I have to say the mark up on some items is beyond reason...for example one 6 count pkg of Bay's English muffins is going for 4.99...granted, I expect to pay more but when the price is 50% to 100% more than even Holiday Royal Oak or Lafayette Park Market I draw the line. I am not a wine or beer drinker, but I understand the prices are fair. The deli counter tends to be erratically priced also, but for convenience sake, the price is what it is.
    Last edited by detroitbob; November-09-13 at 01:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2