Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

We rented in Gpp for the schools for our kids. I didn't find it too stuffy, mostly I was amused. Like the lab retriever dressed in a rain slicker complete with hat and booties. It is or at least was quite racist. That was not amusing.

Kids got through school and we made a bee line back to Detroit. EEV for 7 years [[great community) and now Islandview, another great community. I guess our house is big but it doesn't feel that way. Our home value is close to nothing being Detroit and all. But I am not selling so don't care. In fact we continue to invest in our home.

I went to a ritzy party in GPS and an old lady complimented me on my outfit then informed me it was 5 yrs out of date. Like I could care. I am typing this with my hair in a pony tail, no make up, wearing a hoodie and sweats.

Someone mentioned on this thread that Detroiters resent the attention to downtown/midtown and yes we do.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I went to a ritzy party in GPS and an old lady complimented me on my outfit then informed me it was 5 yrs out of date.
    Then she wasn't from Grosse Pointe. If anything, Pointers are not trendy. It's the home of the mint condition 10-year-old luxury car. I think the most popular car is still the pre-GM Saab wagon.

So GP schools were good enough for your kids, but GP wasn't good enough to live in? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Then she wasn't from Grosse Pointe. If anything, Pointers are not trendy. It's the home of the mint condition 10-year-old luxury car. I think the most popular car is still the pre-GM Saab wagon.
    That's what I was thinking. I always thought of the Pointes as anti-trendy.

The Bloomfields and nearby areas are where you see all the bling. Bentleys, Ferraris and other high end vehicles are common in good weather. Women wear Louboutins when they go out, and four-figure purses are the norm. Obviously not everyone is like that [[I personally know few people like that) but you see it everywhere you go. Scary thing is that a lot of these blingy people actually don't make that much money.

The Pointes have the stereotype of having sensible folks driving old Saabs and Volvos, clipping coupons, and eating simple dinners at home. Compare the scene at Papa Joes in Birmingham, with its perpetually tanned Real Housewife types and "casual cafe" with $30 entrees and then visit a grocery store in the Pointes [[say Trader Joes or Kroger in the Village). Like another galaxy, though probably the bank accounts aren't radically different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I always thought of the Pointes as anti-trendy.

The Bloomfields and nearby areas are where you see all the bling. Bentleys, Ferraris and other high end vehicles are common in good weather. Women wear Louboutins when they go out, and four-figure purses are the norm. Obviously not everyone is like that [[I personally know few people like that) but you see it everywhere you go. Scary thing is that a lot of these blingy people actually don't make that much money.

Compare the scene at Papa Joes in Birmingham, with its perpetually tanned Real Housewife types and "casual cafe" with $30 entrees
    Well, with that picture, I can't imagine any place in Michigan less appealing to me that the Bloomfields or Birmingham. I think I'd rather live next to a crack house than next to people that live in SE Michigan and think $1,000+ purses are necessary to keep up with the Jones

Actually she was in her 70's and lived next door forever to the home where the catered party took place. I thought she was just rude.

I liked GPP just fine, walkable and so forth we made many neighbor friends The schools were adequate but not stellar. Please remember we lived there for many years, were involved in civic activities,,schools and church.

I am not slamming areas, we just are city people so hell yes we returned to our roots quickly. Detroit is my home. It just feels real.

Actually she was in her 70's and lived next door forever to the home where the catered party took place. I thought she was just rude.

I liked GPP just fine, walkable and so forth we made many neighbor friends The schools were adequate but not stellar. Please remember we lived there for many years, were involved in civic activities,,schools and church.

I am not slamming areas, we just are city people so hell yes we returned to our roots quickly. Detroit is my home. It just feels real.
    Sumas, just from reading your many post on here makes me wish you were MY neighbor. I think I would be truly honored. You seem so cool, down to earth and 'real' as you say.

I doubt if you'd want to move so how about letting us know if the place next door goes up for sale and I'll see if I can beat the fellow DYES'rs to it!

That was a very sweet post. Thank you much. The place next door to our south may or may be up for auction. Really not a good bet. It was actually the original Verheyden funeral parlor. Sadly bad shape. Our next door neighbor on the north has an amazing beautiful home. Our area is is like all Detroit, block by block. We really do have great neighbors. Our old homes fantastic. More than happy to give you a tour of our sweet old home and stroll our neighborhood. We are city folk, not all is bright and pretty but we are happy and like our life.

I don't mean to rag on you or anything, you are entitled to live anywhere you like. But - you wanted to live in the 'city' so you moved across Mack to EEV? Is there that much difference in a few hundred yards?

I don't mean to rag on you or anything, you are entitled to live anywhere you like. But - you wanted to live in the 'city' so you moved across Mack to EEV? Is there that much difference in a few hundred yards?
    Great question! Let's talk about this.

Say I buy a house on Alter Road, show up at GPP city hall and request a Grosse Pointe parks pass, because hey, I'm pretty close, right? My neighbors across the alley can use the parks, so why can't I? How much difference can there be in a few hundred feet?

Now let's say I have some kids, and I'm interested in enrolling them in Grosse Pointe schools. I've heard they don't accept out-of-district students, and technically my house is zoned for DPS, but I see my neighbors across the alley sending their kids to Grosse Pointe schools, and I live awfully close to them. Is there that much difference in a few hundred feet?

After the smashing success of these two efforts, I really get to thinking. My house is very architecturally similar to my neighbor's house across the alley, and they have very similar amenities. But I just put a new roof on mine, and my neighbor's roof looks a little raggedy. So I decide to do her a good turn, and offer her a straight-up trade: her raggedy-roofed house on Wayburn for my immaculately-roofed house on Alter. Of course, she enthusiastically agrees, because there just isn't that much difference in a few hundred feet. From that point forward, she and I will be fast friends, and we'll meet at My Dad's Bar every Tuesday and she'll regale me with stories of the rapid and efficient police response she gets from Grosse Pointe Park Police whenever she tells them that she's just a few hundred feet outside their jurisdiction.

Actually yes, huge difference. I grew up in EEV, moved back to care for my aging mother. Owned and maintained a home in Islandview but thought family came first. Live here now and yes significant differences between burb and city. Too bad I am not a song writer, I give no excuses for being a city girl but wish I could write that song.

My 200 hundred yards were temporary, try 7 years of home hospice. Sucked but then you "don't want to rag on me" EEV is a great community. Loved it, love my Islandview Village much better! City rules!