Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hamilton
    Really think that greenways and the Riverfront walk could play a positive role in integrating GPs with Detroit. Planned greenway on Kercheval could have practical and aesthetic appeal. Recommend GPs support extension of riverfront walk as far east as possible, up to GPP line. These positive developments in Detroit could benefit GP access to downtown as well as improving city between GPP and downtown.
    Your big mistake is thinking the GPs have any interest in integrating with the Detroit. They don't even let Detroiters into their parks - do you think they want the RiverWalk ending in there back yard, after it's winded through a bunch of rough Detroit neighborhoods? Or that a GP citizen would feel safe using a greenway along Kercheval, which is pure desolation for most stretches?

Hell, there's still serious talk about figuring out a way to make Kercheval inaccessible for Detroit drivers. You should've seen the hornet's nest I kicked up when I bickered about the GPs forbidding outsiders from visiting the lakefront parks. The last thing GPers want is integration.

The bottom line is that urban planning is blind without sociology.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Your big mistake is thinking the GPs have any interest in integrating with the Detroit. They don't even let Detroiters into their parks - do you think they want the RiverWalk ending in there back yard, after it's winded through a bunch of rough Detroit neighborhoods? Or that a GP citizen would feel safe using a greenway along Kercheval, which is pure desolation for most stretches?
    Just as a point of fact, residents of the GPs exclude residents of the other GPs from the resident's only parks. For example, as a GPFarms resident, I can not go to see a movie [[Gravity is tonight's movie) at GP Park's private movie theater unless I go as a guest.

So, it's not a "mean GPers won't let Detroiter's in" NO ONE execpt for residents who pay for it get to be there. They are, for all intents and purposes, private clubs. Shall we all demand access to the Detroit Yacht Club? Its in a STATE PARK now after all.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Just as a point of fact, residents of the GPs exclude residents of the other GPs from the resident's only parks. For example, as a GPFarms resident, I can not go to see a movie [[Gravity is tonight's movie) at GP Park's private movie theater unless I go as a guest.

So, it's not a "mean GPers won't let Detroiter's in" NO ONE execpt for residents who pay for it get to be there. They are, for all intents and purposes, private clubs. Shall we all demand access to the Detroit Yacht Club? Its in a STATE PARK now after all.
    bailey save your nice prose! I have been trying to get that point through for four years on here, but nobody gets it or wants to get it. They have their prejudices about GP and are never going to change them.