Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Here's the current list as of Monday evening...

Sigmunt Szczepkowski [[not sure who he is, or where he came from)
    Fun fact: He's a perennial candidate. He runs for every office in Detroit that comes up, including the past mayoral election [[you mean you didn't vote for him?) He had some weird idea about putting everybody in jail, or something, a while back. I'm always amused when he resurfaces.

Where he came from? Predictably, just outside Hamtramck.

I read that the only business leader who has backed a candidate so far is Bill Ford, Jr. and he is backing Bill Wild.

Evans diddled with another officer while Chief. That is such comically bad judgment and attention to public perception -- even if not illegal or against department SOPs -- that I would never consider voting for him.

so is it a democrat's seat to lose? are any official republicans entering into the race? Independents?

Currently Bill Wild has my vote, Kim Worthy would have my look/see but she is not running. I do not care about dem or rep, just someone competent and has values. Ficano is counting on split votes for re election. Vote anyway you want but please not more of the same old, same old.

Default Here's the list of "potential" candidates... as of the 4-22 deadline

The surprises continued to roll in across metro Detroit as the filing deadline passed Tuesday afternoon.

In Wayne County, Hilton Napoleon, brother of Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon and police chief in Inkster, filed late Tuesday to run against Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano and a field of 13 others, which includes several other high-profile names.

Napoleon joins previously named candidates Wayne County Commissioner Kevin McNamara, state Rep. Phil Cavanagh, D-Redford Township, former Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans and Westland Mayor William Wild, as well as Detroit Public Schools board President LaMar Lemmons, former state Rep. Bettie Cook Scott and Christopher Wojtowicz, the son of Wayne County Treasurer Raymond Wojtowicz.

Others who filed to run for county executive include Fred Bolden of Detroit; John Dalton and Daniel Wenderlich of Livonia; Adam Adamski of Wayne; Russell Leviska of Westland and Sigmunt John Szczepkowski Jr. of Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...188/1001/rss01

I will be voting for Phil Cavanaugh. I have seen how he conducts his office [[although I am not a constituent) and he is top-notch.
    Last edited by SWMAP; April-23-14 at 07:19 AM.

Has Hilton Napoleon ever run for political office before? Does anybody know what kind of police chief he has been in Inkster?

"LaMar Lemmons, former state Rep. Bettie Cook Scott and Christopher Wojtowicz, the son of Wayne County Treasurer Raymond Wojtowicz."

Seems legit.

The surprises continued to roll in across metro Detroit as the filing deadline passed Tuesday afternoon.

In Wayne County, Hilton Napoleon, brother of Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon and police chief in Inkster, filed late Tuesday to run against Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano and a field of 13 others, which includes several other high-profile names.

Napoleon joins previously named candidates Wayne County Commissioner Kevin McNamara, state Rep. Phil Cavanagh, D-Redford Township, former Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans and Westland Mayor William Wild, as well as Detroit Public Schools board President LaMar Lemmons, former state Rep. Bettie Cook Scott and Christopher Wojtowicz, the son of Wayne County Treasurer Raymond Wojtowicz.

Others who filed to run for county executive include Fred Bolden of Detroit; John Dalton and Daniel Wenderlich of Livonia; Adam Adamski of Wayne; Russell Leviska of Westland and Sigmunt John Szczepkowski Jr. of Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...188/1001/rss01
    [[in Robin's voice)

Holy barrel of cronies Batman!!!

And I'm guessing Warren Evan's reality show didn't work out like he thought it would...

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Has Hilton Napoleon ever run for political office before? Does anybody know what kind of police chief he has been in Inkster?
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...me-ridden-city
    Inkster police chief calls on state to help crime-ridden city

i remember inkster got a brand spanking new police headquarters a few years ago.
    http://www.cityofinkster.com/Service...ticeCenter.asp

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23...ice-department

so napoleon having a shiny new building in the middle of a bankrupt city? hmm sounds like benny and his wayne county jail boondoggle.

please dont vote for more of that.

Sigmunt John Szczepkowski Jr. of Detroit.
    Works for me.

I don't know Bill Wild of Westland, but I am voting for him just for the headlines: "Wayne Gets Wild", "Wild Takes Over", "Wild Times Ahead" and other such word plays.

We are exactly 60 days away from the August 5 primary.

Current polling is pretty interesting.

Warren Evans: 29%
    Bill Wild: 14%
    Phil Cavanaugh: 13%
    Kevin McNamara: 12%
    Bob Ficano: 10%

My personal choices in order.

1. Evans.
    2/3 Cavanaugh/McNamara. Nothing against either of them. I just don't know that much about them.
    4. Wild. He's blitzing Detroit. But his connection to the scrapping world...I just 't overlook that with the hell it's wreaked on this city.

5. Ficano. He's a very persuasive speaker. As much dirt has been slung his way, he talks a very convincing talk that it's not his fault. And I believe some of it is true. But it's just not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    We are exactly 60 days away from the August 5 primary.

Warren Evans: 29%
    Bill Wild: 14%
    Phil Cavanaugh: 13%
    Kevin McNamara: 12%
    Bob Ficano: 10%

My personal choices in order.

1. Evans.

2/3 Cavanaugh/McNamara. Nothing against either of them. I just don't know that much about them.

4. Wild. He's blitzing Detroit. But his connection to the scrapping world...I just 't overlook that with the hell it's wreaked on this city.

5. Ficano. He's a very persuasive speaker. As much dirt has been slung his way, he talks a very convincing talk that it's not his fault. And I believe some of it is true. But it's just not a good look.
    I hope that you'll use some of those 60 days to do some research on number 2 and 3... an informed decision is always a good thing.

Wild's done a good job in Westland. That was a city that easily could have gotten into big trouble finance-wise. Wild's shown he can work with the unions to get the finances stabilized.

what's Wild's alleged connection to scrapping?

I would like to see Ken Cockrel Jr. throw his hat in the race.

I always thought that he was a voice of reason and a true leader during his time on city council. When we were going through our tumultuous period of corruption and disgrace in city hall, Ken Cockrel was the epitome of class and dignity. He was a strong advocate of regional cooperation for Cobo and DDOT/SMART during his short time as interim mayor, and I think that he could be an asset in a county, state, or federal position.

Wild is an interesting candidate. I have heard good things about his management of Westland, but I still don't know enough about him to have a fully-formed opinion yet.

Ficano has no chance of being re-elected, and I don't know why he is even running. He will be lucky if he doesn't go to prison over all the shady deals that have happened under his watch.

Napoleon is political retread who still clings to the old-school us-vs-them style of politics. He says that Lansing is against Detroit, he won't support anything that a Republican supports, Palmer Woods isn't really Detroit, Downtown/Midtown/Corktown/Woodbridge growth has come at the expense of "the neighborhoods", Mike Duggan shouldn't be mayor because he isn't a "real Detroiter", etc. Napoleon was crushed in the mayoral elections, and his tired schtick will be even less appealing to voters across the county than it was in the city proper.

Wild owns Scrapbusters, which is an auto salvage yard in Wayne. He has nothing to do with the scrapping business that is destroying the city.

http://www.scrapbusters.com/Our_History.html

Here's a good puff piece on Bill Wild from the Srapbusters web page.

http://www.scrapbusters.com/About_Our_Owner.php
    Last edited by subsidized; June-07-14 at 02:55 AM.

I wish Cockrel would have beat Bing for the mayor job

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2