Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Typical suburban arrogance. Detroiters elect a myriad of races in their most recent election and you claim they're voting by race. Absolutely baffling.

Competence? Jim Fouts. I rest my case. Yeah, you guys have a monopoly on the brain trust all right. Explain to me then why property values are still in the sewer and Metro Detroit is still a largely undesirable place to live.
    You rock, poobert! Burb response is so typical, I particularly like the "I'll await your reply". From Artds, So pompous. I'll stack the brains and gene pool of our block against any burb block any day of the week.Two MBAS, An installed minister, a social worker, two teachers, a retired career military female, a caring foster parent, Self employed carpenters, a certified public accountant, an attorney, two BA's that work in the Non profit sector, an insurance agent. I think I missed a few. Oops forgot to mention this is a predominate black neighborhood. Many smart talented folk.

I just hate stupid and racist comments.

Listening to these 2 argue is like watching the sensationalized 5PM Newscast... you don't know who's going to come out with the most sensationalist comment... the suburban lawyer with the condescending attitude towards the city, and should know better, or the city soldier with a chip on his shoulder against the suburbs. All the while... the rest of us in both city and suburbs have the chasm that separates us further widened with this type of mentality...
    Last edited by Gistok; November-09-13 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks Gistok for reasonable dialogue. The chasm should not exist but it does.

I admit to a chip on my shoulder when I see so many amazing people slammed.

We will host a street association meeting Sunday night. I deal with fabulous people all the time. I just want people to know that Detroiters work hard to care for our community. The problems are hard. We know better than others our innate problems.

The sneering and jeering just do not sit well.

Oh no, Sumas is talking about her neighbors again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Listening to these 2 argue is like watching the sensationalized 5PM Newscast... you don't know who's going to come out with the most sensationalist comment... the suburban lawyer with the condescending attitude towards the city, and should know better, or the city soldier with a chip on his shoulder against the suburbs. All the while... the rest of us in both city and suburbs have the chasm that separates us further widened with this types of mentality...

Spot on, Gistok!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    This is wrong, shelia cockrell was a council member until 2010. And Marry Ann Mahafy was on the council untill 2006. So your fact about last white council member since Young is flat out wrong

You haven't read about the history about the members of Detroit City Councilmen. The Last White Detroit City Councilman was Mel Ravitz. He served in the seat during Cavanagh-Coleman Young and Archer Years from 1962 to 1974 and from 1982 to 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Oh no, Sumas is talking about her neighbors again.
    Sure, why not. Islandview VILLAGE. Cares about our seniors, our poor, our kids.

I am very proud to be a member of our community. I am pleased that we can work with outreach programs for people in need, kids programs and the like. We work with government agencies, churches and private donors. Our success is damn good.

Very very proud to be a part of a community [[village) that is caring. I know my neighbors, so what is the issue.

Burb friends have helped supply bikes for kids, churches subsidize kids going to camp etc. We write grants to improve our area.

Why wouldn't I brag. We are a small part of this movement.

My neighbors, the best!

I didn't understand sumas why, in your recent discussion with the guy with the undisclosed quantity of fur babies that was "Relocating to Detroit" you didn't recommend he looks at your neighborhood because of its apparent idyllic qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I didn't understand sumas why, in your recent discussion with the guy with the undisclosed quantity of fur babies that was "Relocating to Detroit" you didn't recommend he looks at your neighborhood because of its apparent idyllic qualities.
    I didn't because our neighborhood is not for everybody. Idyllic, of course not. I Don't know of any current for sale or foreclosures. my neighbors worked diligently to keep our neighbors in their homes.

The foreclosures bought by outsiders have resulted in blighted properties. Old homes need TLC and quick profit folk don't want to invest.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    And therein lies the difference between Detroit and the suburbs. We [[the suburbs) focus on competence first. Race and culture is a secondary or tertiary consideration at best. We want to know who is going to provide us the best services for our tax dollars. And that's it. Detroiters, on the other hand, focus on race first, and everything else takes a back seat. The first thing you noticed about Duggan was his race, not his competence. And now you're asking us to give you a pat on the back for recognizing that his competence was enough to overcome the fact that he wasn't the race you would have preferred he be. Electing someone to public office is not a reward and it should not be a popularity contest. It should be a question of which applicant will be the most effective and productive at the jobs he's tasked with. And as much as you want to believe it, the suburbs are not the old south. Not even close. We don't exclude otherwise qualified candidates from consideration because they don't look like us, and I would challenge you to point to one instance where you think we did. I'll await your reply.
    The aftermath of last week's election is just a really strange time to be making this comment.

I would also say that in the suburbs, as in the city, a lot of otherwise qualified candidates probably exclude themselves because they presume, perhaps wrongly, that they wouldn't be given a fair hearing. It isn't as if Detroiters had been rejecting a lot of competent white candidates for office over the past 40 years. We can hope that recent election results will expand the notion of who is electable.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

You haven't read about the history about the members of Detroit City Councilmen. The Last White Detroit City Councilman was Mel Ravitz. He served in the seat during Cavanagh-Coleman Young and Archer Years from 1962 to 1974 and from 1982 to 1997.

so know you are splitting hairs as he was the last male white person on council. he was not the last white person. and even still originally you posted the last white council person was 1974.

Mel Ravitz was the last Jewish member. that is why gabe Leland is historically significant because he is jewish, and not even that significant as it has only been 15 years since the last one

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

That would be Gabe Leland and Raquel Lopez.

Gabe Leland became Detroit's first White Jewish councilman since 1950s and the first white councilman since Coleman Young years.

Raquel Lopez [[I met her in my church). Became Detroit's first Hispanic Detroit city councilwoman in living memory. Now Hispanics in Detroit can finally have a voice to deal with urban problems in their SW Detroit barrios.

Danny Mel Ravitz was last jewish member you said your self in a nother post. please just google it.

"Mel Ravitz was the last Jewish member. that is why gabe Leland is historically significant because he is jewish, and not even that significant as it has only been 15 years since the last one"

Just goes to show; only 15 years without a white Jewish member is all it's taken to slide into bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    so know you are splitting hairs as he was the last male white person on council. he was not the last white person. and even still originally you posted the last white council person was 1974.

Mel Ravitz was the last Jewish member. that is why gabe Leland is historically significant because he is jewish, and not even that significant as it has only been 15 years since the last one
    I wrote Mel Ravitz was the last Detroit City CouncilMAN! After that there were no White Detroit City Councilmen during the late Archer, Kilpatrick, Cockerel and Bing Years Just 2 city councilwomen Maryann Mahaffey and Sheila Cockerel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Hope for what?
    It was more of a tongue-in-cheek response, settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sure, why not. Islandview VILLAGE. Cares about our seniors, our poor, our kids.

I am very proud to be a member of our community. I am pleased that we can work with outreach programs for people in need, kids programs and the like. We work with government agencies, churches and private donors. Our success is damn good.

Very very proud to be a part of a community [[village) that is caring. I know my neighbors, so what is the issue.

Burb friends have helped supply bikes for kids, churches subsidize kids going to camp etc. We write grants to improve our area.

Why wouldn't I brag. We are a small part of this movement.

My neighbors, the best!
    I hope you know I was only joking around. I wish every neighborhood could come together like that, whether it be Detroit proper or the suburbs, the lack of community these days is not cool.

That's nice of you subsidized. It is not always possible to know if one is being teased on line.

Sometimes I think the destruction of our communities are attached garages. Simplistic, I know! But driving into a garage doesn't lend itself to knowing neighbors. We are porch sitters. So we meet and greet all who pass.

Did feel bad that a neighbor who attended our meeting had her home invaded and she lost many things. However, the spirit remains. Warren Connors is offering grants and each of us will write one addressing different neighborhood needs.

I welcome our new mayor and district appointed council. A new positive move that will hopefully build [[rebuild ) a better Detroit.

so are we now going to begin segregating this region by gender as well?

And you also said "Gabe Leland became Detroit's first White Jewish councilman since 1950s and the first white councilman since Coleman Young years."

again wrong

mel ravits fits both those claims and as you stated 1998 was the end of his tenure

Jaytheory... not trying to pick on you personally... but someone very succinctly posted here once that "anyone with more than 50 posts and half a brain knows better than to pick an argument with Danny"....

That Great Guy Guest

I think all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties should be annexed into one city and be called Detroit. This way we could all share government services and be taxed the same. Many cities have done this and I think Detroit could benefit from doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    I think all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties should be annexed into one city and be called Detroit. This way we could all share government services and be taxed the same. Many cities have done this and I think Detroit could benefit from doing this.
    You're obviously joking to extract some sputtering clamor from us poor suburbanites whose money you want but are not going to get this side of your dreams. If on the other hand you want Detroit to raise a tax to support the suburbs, that's a plan worth considering.
    Last edited by coracle; November-12-13 at 09:30 AM.

I think this is the first time the news media has gotten to use the "first white..." phrase

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4