Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN!! I waited 40 years for White Detroit Mayor and we got it!!!
    Danny Danny Danny.... you forgot to tell everyone that you are African-American.... otherwise [[for those who have never met you) your comments make you sound... well... just a bit racist....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Danny Danny Danny.... you forgot to tell everyone that you are African-American.... otherwise [[for those who have never met you) your comments make you sound... well... just a bit racist....
    Well, I'm speechless, finally.....

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed.

My vote was for the LESSER of the two evils, and unfortunately that was Duggan.
    Isn't that how we have to choose in any election ?

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    I disagree. Once those crazy fucks on City Council start throwing up road blocks to everything Duggan wants to do for reasons they don't even understand, things will get a little testy, and Duggan will likely lose patience.
    At the neighborhood level and after Jan 1st the chain of command would be your representative on the council then the mayor,if your council representative is not attending to the best interest of that district as a whole you do not need to wait until the next election.

The only way there will be an impasse between the mayor or council is if it is allowed by the population.

That was the whole reason of the changes,which was to give the person on the street a voice.

Write down the phone number and email of your representative and use it,the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Voted for Duggan as the better of 2 poor choices [[thank goodness though that he's replacing an even poorer choice...). Of course, the whole matter of local democracy is largely moot at the moment, for as long as we have Lansing's hand-picked dictator in charge and making big $$ for his old friends in the bankruptcy lawyering biz.

Also, not happy to see Mary Sheffield beat out Adam Hollier for our local Council seat. I guess we'll now get to see if she's more like her distinguished grandfather or her opportunist [[and slightly nuts IMO) father. I do hope that the promising Hollier runs for office again in the future.

The Lions are in first place, GM and Chrysler are enjoying record profits only four years after facing bankruptcy and Mike Duggan is mayor. Has hell finally frozen over?

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Isn't that how we have to choose in any election ?
    You make a fair point.

Perhaps eye and hair should be considered...and the complete lineage as well..and, oh yea...you guys were kidding... right?

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    For too many people, the last 40 years are summed up as: "well, we [white people] gave them [black people] the city, and look what they did with it."

I don't want the next sentence of that story to be: "and then they elected Duggan, and that's when things started to turn around."
    which is exactly one of the reasons why i was leery of having a white guy win this race. yeah Duggan's probably better qualified in many ways, but at the same time i'd say its pretty evident he is only using this position as a stepping stone to the governorship of MI or something. its a career move, i dont think he really gives a rip about "turning detroit around"...that will not happen in the space of even two terms as mayor.

wow, i just still cant believe there's a white guy in the Manoogian Mansion...
    AND a black guy in the White House!
    nothing necessarily wrong with it; i just literally never thought i would live to see either one, let alone both.

That's funny. I just thought everyone knew......

)) Hugs Danny [[[[ !

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    The Lions are in first place, GM and Chrysler are enjoying record profits only four years after facing bankruptcy and Mike Duggan is mayor. Has hell finally frozen over?
    Not yet but it is starting to get mighty cold around here!

Quote Originally Posted by BasementBeat View Post
    I voted to Duggan but geez, listening to some of the fellow supporters shouting from the rooftop about how Detroit finally has a white mayor is starting to make me sick to my stomach...
    Relax. The only person doing that is Danny, and he's not exactly "right in the head", if you catch my drift.
    Last edited by aj3647; November-07-13 at 10:07 AM.

We also now have a Jewish and Hispanic council member.

Detroiters have proven to be pretty damn open-minded. Still waiting on the glorious suburbs. Oh but the schools are good [[give it five years).

It is a rumor spreading around the city that Mike Duggan was sworn in a Chief Financial Officer today. Is this just a rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Detroiters have proven to be pretty damn open-minded. Still waiting on the glorious suburbs. Oh but the schools are good [[give it five years).

That would be Gabe Leland and Raquel Lopez.

Gabe Leland became Detroit's first White Jewish councilman since 1950s and the first white councilman since Coleman Young years.

Raquel Lopez [[I met her in my church). Became Detroit's first Hispanic Detroit city councilwoman in living memory. Now Hispanics in Detroit can finally have a voice to deal with urban problems in their SW Detroit barrios.
    Last edited by Danny; November-08-13 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It is a rumor spreading around the city that Mike Duggan was sworn in a Chief Financial Officer today. Is this just a rumor?
    NO, Duggan is not going to be Chief Financial Officer. RUMOR VOLAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Gabe Leland became Detroit's first White Jewish councilman since 1950s and the first white councilman since Coleman Young years.

This is wrong, shelia cockrell was a council member until 2010. And Marry Ann Mahafy was on the council untill 2006. So your fact about last white council member since Young is flat out wrong

Danny, I think you forgot Mel Ravitz.... also Jewish and a council member as recently as 1997.

Didn't Troy elect a black woman to their school board recently? So there's some hope...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Didn't Troy elect a black woman to their school board recently? So there's some hope...
    Hope for what?

I would love to see a multicultural administration including council without the payoffs and pay to play

The divisive mess in Toronto is contrasted with Detroit's mayoral election in today's Globe and Mail: http://ow.ly/qEqIg

Danny, I think you forgot Mel Ravitz.... also Jewish and a council member as recently as 1997.
    Yeah, I guess Danny forgot about those people mentioned.

And therein lies the difference between Detroit and the suburbs. We [[the suburbs) focus on competence first. Race and culture is a secondary or tertiary consideration at best. We want to know who is going to provide us the best services for our tax dollars. And that's it. Detroiters, on the other hand, focus on race first, and everything else takes a back seat. The first thing you noticed about Duggan was his race, not his competence. And now you're asking us to give you a pat on the back for recognizing that his competence was enough to overcome the fact that he wasn't the race you would have preferred he be. Electing someone to public office is not a reward and it should not be a popularity contest. It should be a question of which applicant will be the most effective and productive at the jobs he's tasked with. And as much as you want to believe it, the suburbs are not the old south. Not even close. We don't exclude otherwise qualified candidates from consideration because they don't look like us, and I would challenge you to point to one instance where you think we did. I'll await your reply.
    Last edited by artds; November-09-13 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    And therein lies the difference between Detroit and the suburbs. We [[the suburbs) focus on competence first. Race and culture is a secondary or tertiary consideration at best. We want to know who is going to provide us the best services for our tax dollars. And that's it. Detroiters, on the other hand, focus on race first, and everything else takes a back seat. The first thing you noticed about Duggan was his race, not his competence. And now you're asking us to give you a pat on the back for recognizing that his competence was enough to overcome the fact that he wasn't the race you would have preferred he be. Electing someone to public office is not a reward and it should not be a popularity contest. It should be a question of which applicant will be the most effective and productive at the jobs he's tasked with. And as much as you want to believe it, the suburbs are not the old south. Not even close. We don't exclude otherwise qualified candidates from consideration because they don't look like us, and I would challenge you to point to one instance where you think we did. I'll await your reply.
    Typical suburban arrogance. Detroiters elect a myriad of races in their most recent election and you claim they're voting by race. Absolutely baffling.

Competence? Jim Fouts. I rest my case. Yeah, you guys have a monopoly on the brain trust all right. Explain to me then why property values are still in the sewer and Metro Detroit is still a largely undesirable place to live.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast