Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I spy

four original bathrooms, largely intact

two ultra-rare Crane Nova sinks with glass legs [[Trenton Pottery Co), although looks like one of them has been outfitted with 1950s Standard Aqua-seal faucet handles, [[but I have a few Crane parts left whoever buys it).

porcelain shut-off valve handles

Chicago Faucet barrel drain in one of the bathrooms is bad-ass.

The iridescent pink bath is popular in that neighborhood,
    but that blue I've never seen before WOW

I dunno, alot of that brass in the rest of the house looks original, and with the exception of all the mirrors, [[and maybe? some of the marble), alot of the original architectural features in the house looks to pretty well in tact.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Actually U of D High and Gesu are only a few blocks away.
    Quite a few blocks since to get to Gesu you have to go up to Seven Mile and then back to McNichols, but while Gesu is usable, and UDHS is excellent, you don't have a reasonable nearby high school if you have girls. Even 40 years ago most of the girls I knew went to Mercy or Marian, or one of the schools that has since closed [[mostly Immaculata) although a few went to Cass and a few went to Mumford.

Frankly there aren't many kids in the area anymore anyway. The likely buyer for that house is a childless or empty-nest couple who likes to entertain. They won't care about the schools.

To many people shopping for a home like this, they tend to send the kids to private schools anyway,, many buyers may not even have kids of school age so no biggie there,,,shopping is not far,,, malls the same distance as many inner suburbs, and other alternatives,, Security is handled pretty well in the area, they are used to the issues, Believe me... and taxes at 12000? Your going to pay at least that anywhere in metro for a home like that,,and the home will be at least double.. It will be appealing to someone I am sure,
    There are people spending 200,000 plus in Boston Edison renovating now so Im sure you will find a willing buyer for this gem.

True, those would be good local options for Catholics or those with teenage boys. But no one would confuse their academic quality with Cranbrook, Country Day, or top-tier public districts.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    My 1280 sq. ft. semi in a Toronto suburb lists for 489k. Maybe I should trade?
    Yes, you could probably get it cheaper, but it's definitely a good move.

With Toronto's Mayor admitting he's a crack head and vowing to run again and Detroit getting a former drug fighting prosecutor as a Mayor, Toronto is heading down a similar path that Detroit did 40 years ago and Detroit's going to be rising. The wrong or right municipal leadership can make or break a city. Detroit should have recovered like Chicago 40 years ago, but it had bad municipal leadership like Toronto now does. The dark cloud of chaos over Toronto now. And you'll never get rid of him just like Washington could never get rid of Marion Barry. Glad I left years ago.
    Last edited by davewindsor; November-06-13 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Not exactly one of your more intelligent posts on this forum [[for a lawyer).... when do people in exclusive neighborhoods go to public schools?? And don't tell me that murders don't occur in Beverly Hills, Bel-Air or Brentwood?
    I was using the term "neighbors" more broadly than you're assuming. If murders are occurring 2, 3, 4, 5 miles away on a regular basis, that affects your property value. So does the quality of your local public schools system, regardless of whether you happen to use it. Pretty basic concepts here, Gistok. Perhaps its better if you avoid posting in threads about property values. You seem to be one of only a handful of people who can't wrap your head around why the market values this property the way it does.

Peer privates for boys include: Cranbrook, Country Day, Catholic Central, and Brother Rice. They are all roughly 30 or more minutes away. International Academy would be an acceptable public, also 30 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

With Toronto's Mayor admitting he's a crack head and vowing to run again and Detroit getting a former drug fighting prosecutor as a Mayor, Toronto is heading down a similar path that Detroit did 40 years ago and Detroit's going to be rising. The wrong or right municipal leadership can make or break a city. Detroit should have recovered like Chicago 40 years ago, but it had bad municipal leadership like Toronto now does. The dark cloud of chaos over Toronto now. And you'll never get rid of him just like Washington could never get rid of Marion Barry. Glad I left years ago.
    Washington, D.C. is probably the most booming city in the nation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

With all due respect to Detroit, and in full disclosure it has been a few years since I've been to Toronto but I would love for Detroit to be 40% of what Toronto is right now in ten years.

Can you imagine what it would cost to build a gem like than right now? It may need a few bucks in deferred maintenance and updating but I could see some youngish professional DINKS jumping at that in a heartbeat. Remember, it only takes one buyer!

Quote Originally Posted by mark.vandorn View Post
    Not when Marion Barry was mayor. In his first term of office, there were dramatic increases in crime and unemployment. The corruption and scandals and crime continued while he was in office. Even today as Councilor for Ward 8 [[Southeast Washington), his ward is plagued by consistently high crime rates, widespread poverty and the corruption scandals continue.

Just in case you wanted some statistics on Marion Barry's Ward 8:
    "D.C.’s Ward 8 has the highest unemployment rate of any U.S. metropolitan area with a comparable size workforce, Bloomberg News reported, citing data from the Department of Employment Services.

Ward 8’s jobless rate stood at 25.2 percent in January, up from 23.1 percent in December. El Centro, Calif., had the next-highest unemployment rate at 25.1 percent.

The poverty rate in Ward 8 is now 35 percent..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ml?response=no
    Last edited by davewindsor; November-06-13 at 10:24 AM.

"-30 minute drives to dinners after you get tired of the 2 or 3 restaurants worth visiting id Detroit and/or because none of your friends will meet you in the city"
    There are way more than 2 or 3 restaurants worth visiting in Detroit. Not only are there the ones in Downtown and Midtown, but there are small restaurants all throughout the neighborhoods that serve great food, they just don't get the fanfare. Also, downtown Ferndale is a 2-3 miles away.

In addition, concerning friends meeting you in the city, most likely the person who buys this house has many friends that live in the city

House across the street worth $115K. The houses up and down the street are worth even less. Not much of a bargain ...

Renaissance High School is also two miles away, but you have to test your way in. The DPS FLICS [[Foreign Language and Cultural Immersion) is on the same block as Renaissance.

No thanks to its municipal government.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Renaissance High School is also two miles away, but you have to test your way in. The DPS FLICS [[Foreign Language and Cultural Immersion) is on the same block as Renaissance.
    Have you ever met the best & brightest Renaissance and Cass Tech grads? I have. I have had them in my groups at U-M, Ann Arbor. Their grammar is atrocious, their writing ability is maybe a 9-10th grade level, and they just aren't smart, at all. Perhaps the really smart ones ended up at private colleges, but the ones I dealt with at Michigan were sad. I would never send my kids there.
    Last edited by mark.vandorn; November-06-13 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    No thanks to its municipal government.
    I was just offering a rebuttal that the mayor doesn't single handedly destroy the town. The crack head former mayor is apparently still on D.C. city clownsel.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    There are way more than 2 or 3 restaurants worth visiting in Detroit. Not only are there the ones in Downtown and Midtown, but there are small restaurants all throughout the neighborhoods that serve great food, they just don't get the fanfare. Also, downtown Ferndale is a 2-3 miles away.

In addition, concerning friends meeting you in the city, most likely the person who buys this house has many friends that live in the city
    There are some adequate options. But this house wants $500k and it will be at least $250k to modernize it. And I already touched on the other expenses like insurance, private schooling, etc. People with that kind of money aren't going to chicken shacks and diners, drive-ins and dives for dinner. Nor are their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by steve from virginia View Post
    House across the street worth $115K. The houses up and down the street are worth even less. Not much of a bargain ...
    A quick Zillow check shows recent sales across the street and on Windemere in the $19k-$39k range, houses that look sound in Street View. There doesn't seem to be much buyer confidence in that neighborhood, despite the splendid architecture.

I was just offering a rebuttal that the mayor doesn't single handedly destroy the town. The crack head former mayor is apparently still on D.C. city clownsel.
    Sorry, I should have elaborated on my answer. The entire DC municipal government has no effect on the prosperity in the city. It is prosperous because of the presence of the federal government which can and does pick up the fumbles of the rather inefficient government they have in Kinshasa -on-the-Potomac.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I spy

four original bathrooms,

two ultra-rare Crane Nova sinks with glass legs [[Trenton Pottery Co), although looks like one of them has been outfitted with 1950s Standard Aqua-seal faucet handles.....

Chicago Faucet barrel drain in one of the bathrooms is bad-ass.

One iridescent pink bathroom [[that tile is still my favorite & it's all over that neighborhood...University District)
    And its not Pewabic.

$500k for:
    - need to send kids to private schools 30 minutes away @ $10k+ each/year
    - 30 minute drives every time kids want to hang out with friends, soccer practice, etc.
    - dodge murderers and burglars
    - annual expenses that costs multiple times a newer home
    - sky high insurance
    - spend $250k easily to make home livable/modernized
    - 30 minute drives to dinners after you get tired of the 2 or 3 restaurants worth visiting in Detroit and/or because none of your friends will meet you in the city

What a steal!
    I am guessing you do not have a clue to anything in the city. There are two restaurants in the city about a mile or so from the home. La Dolce Vita on Woodward and the Dakota Inn Rathkeller. Also as Midtown starts to become overpriced "uptown" will become a viable alternative.

http://www.ldvrestaurant.net/

http://www.dakota-inn.com/

Have you ever met the best & brightest Renaissance and Cass Tech grads? I have. I have had them in my groups at U-M, Ann Arbor. Their grammar is atrocious, their writing ability is maybe a 9-10th grade level, and they just aren't smart, at all. Perhaps the really smart ones ended up at private colleges, but the ones I dealt with at Michigan were sad. I would never send my kids there.

I have a Cass Tech graduate working in my lab right now. She's very bright, has excellent grammar and a great work ethic. I'm a professor at WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I am guessing you do not have a clue to anything in the city. There are two restaurants in the city about a mile or so from the home. La Dolce Vita on Woodward and the Dakota Inn Rathkeller. Also as Midtown starts to become overpriced "uptown" will become a viable alternative.

http://www.ldvrestaurant.net/

http://www.dakota-inn.com/
    Dakota Inn is awful [[if we're talking strictly food) and has limited hours.

I think if you come up with two restaurants in the general radius, you aren't exactly making a strrong case for local dining options.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Dakota Inn is awful [[if we're talking strictly food) and has limited hours.

I think if you come up with two restaurants in the general radius, you aren't exactly making a strrong case for local dining options.
    I agree the food at the Dakota leaves little to be desired. His comment was 2 or 3 in the CITY OF DETROIT. I was just pointing out there were 2 in the area around Fairway. There is also 1917 American Bistro on Livernois. I hope you are not falling into the "clueless" camp.

Maybe an outlier, or maybe your standards are low. I'd almost guarantee the middle 50% ACT scores at both schools is in the 18-21 range, i.e., not even college ready. The top 25% with 22+ ACT scores get invited to Michigan. The ones I shared classes with were complete morons. I repeat, I'd never send my kids to those schools. Cheaper house and private schools > $500k house and DPS
    Good for you and your, [[supposedly yours) offspring. As far as your generalized comments insulting and condeming ALL CT and DPS graduates, it's too bad while you were taking a class, they weren't teaching you any. Detroit has some SERIOUS educational issues, but your lumping ALL graduates into one sack truly shows you know not what you speak of. I hope your kids come out a little more open minded then you did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast