Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Wurlitzer Building Sale To Go Through TOMORROW

It's official! Well, almost. The Jewish developer that put the Wurlitzer building under contract will finally get it tomorrow, 30 days after the deal [[October 1st.) The Crain's article states that the developer has plans "larger than the city could call for." what do you think it might be?

An IHop restaurant?

...does the developer's ethnicity matter?

Hopefully this isn't another Texas eccentric situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

Not really, I guess. Sorry for trying to be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

It does if he's greek apparently.

Gilbert might buy that building, too.

I heard the sale of the Packard plant to the Christian woman fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I would have guessed Scientologist.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post

Well we already have a cheesecake factory, so I'm guessing it's going to be a House of Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Well we already have a cheesecake factory, so I'm guessing it's going to be a House of Blues.
    I was hoping for the world's largest In N Out burger

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I was hoping for the world's largest In N Out burger
    How about a Big Kahuna Burger chain?

A fictional restaurant for another developer's pipe dream.

Last edited by davewindsor; October-31-13 at 01:27 PM.

what kind of money will it take to properly renovate that building?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    God Bless.....

I like a Royale with Cheese. And no, that does not constitute an endorsement of the metric system.

According to this article, "After 31 years of vacancy, the Wurlitzer Building was recently purchased by an Israeli developer with big plans".http://www.improvementcenter.com/adv...enovation.html

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    According to this article, "After 31 years of vacancy, the Wurlitzer Building was recently purchased by an Israeli developer with big plans".http://www.improvementcenter.com/adv...enovation.html
    Ya, his big plans are to flip it for more "than the city would call for" like the last owner tried to.

We don't know who he is. We know nothing about his experience. He won't say specifically what he's going to do with it. He makes no mention of applying for and has no idea of how much government tax credits and grants he could to apply for [[it's not feasible to do a huge overhaul like that without government aid). No specific plans = typical land speculator/future demolition order for parking lot due to further neglect.

That's a very good positive national story about the city.
    We stay have. WAYS to go, but at least the press is at least seeing another side to our story , but like I said there is still a LONG way to go

Let's hope they have an open mind about what constitutes a "hazard" or "acceptable risk."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Detroit— The group hoping to buy one of downtown’s “most dangerous” buildings wants to ensure it is no longer hazardous before finalizing the deal, according to city officials.

Structural engineers are inspecting the Wurlitzer Building as part of the pending sale of the 14-story structure at 1509 Broadway, across the street from the Detroit Opera House. Three years ago, a 40-pound chunk of terra cotta fell off the exterior and crashed through the roof of a neighboring building. The city has pursued the current owner in court ever since, labeling the structure a public risk.

“The buyers understandably want to make sure that no part of the building is going to fall off and possibly kill somebody,” said Michael Muller, the city of Detroit attorney involved in the Wayne County Circuit Court case.
    “Right now, the structural engineers are in there in order to determine if Paul Curtis has removed all ... hazards,” Muller said. If he fails to resolve the issue, he could kill a deal that would allow him to get rid of an empty building and end the court case.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Don't be daft! Those people have been fleeced out of their money by the Church [[though they don't deserve that name).