Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Abandoned Belle Isle Zoo Adventure

On Monday, October 21, 2013 Bryan Levy and Alanna St. Laurent headed to Belle Isle to explore the abandoned Belle Isle Zoo, which first opened in 1895 and closed for good in 2002. See http://alannastlaurent.com/belle-isle-zoo-adventure

That is the MacArthur bridge, not the McGregor.

How did you get into the Zoo? Did you pose as homeless kangaroos?

sorry,got to say it but is it really wise to post names and dates of trespassing?Or is it open to the public at this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    sorry,got to say it but is it really wise to post names and dates of trespassing?Or is it open to the public at this time?
    I agree, thats what I was getting at with my posing as homeless kangaroos statement.

That question would be better asked of the bloggers, rather than Gingellgirl on this forum who just repeated what the bloggers said.

Outing someone on this forum [[without their expressed permission) is a no-no... but once they've outed themselves on their blog... the point becomes moot [[although one would question their wisdom in doing so!).

I think it is best not to discuss these sorts of things. I for one would never tress pass, but I understand the lure of doing so. What would be really crazy is if someone came on here and said "look what I did" and posted videos of them smashing stuff or painting crazy things like freeway signs with "Eat Cheetos"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I think it is best not to discuss these sorts of things. I for one would never tress pass, but I understand the lure of doing so. What would be really crazy is if someone came on here and said "look what I did" and posted videos of them smashing stuff or painting crazy things like freeway signs with "Eat Cheetos"
    I would agree... especially if you give out your name.... you never know who will come a knockin' at your door...

As if our police dont have enough to do. You really think there going to show up at someones door because they took some pics of the old zoo? Theres more than a few photographers on this site including me who have wondered on to property and posted the pics of any number of buildings in Detroit.

Sounds like the doors were open to the zoo anyways, are there any no trespassing signs in the first place?

This site used to be so much fun, sheeesh.

Yeah I know Django... so much fun is now gone from urban explorers... with the state taking over Belle Isle... no more visits to the closed zoo... no more skinny dipping in the lagoon, or drinking 40's late at night... nor that worry free doob at 1AM...

The MCS is now fenced off... the Roosevelt Warehouse is 1 popsicle man short of a full house, the GAR is sealed and being rehabbed... the Broderick is leased and unaccessible, the Whitney is being rehabbed... so no more throwing chairs from the upper floors into the skylight... the number of tagging locations, while not diminished... is now relegated to lesser buildings...

Sigh... borderline illegal stuff just isn't what it used to be....