Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    for the roast-at-home folks -

I know the least expensive roasters are air-roasted. are there flavor advantages to drum roasting or is it just a volume thing? do the ones that allegedly filter the smoke really work?

At Westborns in RO they have an air roaster in the middle of the store and they used to let me run it for myself -- I would just watch until it reached the roast I wanted and hit the stop button
    There is a different taste between air roast and drum roast. Drum roast requires a longer rest period for the beans.

I've only used air roasters, and yes, there is a difference in taste, but I haven't sampled enough drum roasters to be able to describe it.

The Nesco roaster was my first and it had some kind of catalytic gizmo that did a good job of filtering smoke. The one's I've had since then did not have filters, and it can become rather obnoxious, especially if you go for a darker roast. I describe the smell as similar to the smell you get when you leave a coffee pot on the warmer too long. However, an hour after roasting, the beans have one of the most pleasurable smells you will ever experience. I used to roast in a warehouse space I rented, and the drive home with the beans in the car was heavenly!

Do you roast inside your house... I roast in my garage because of the smoke.

I had visited Peetes today in Grosse Pointe. Free medium drinks were giving out until 2pm today. I love the setup. The coffee was good. More spacious than Caribou had it. I hope that one would open in the downtown midtown area. I still love places such as Great Lakes, Roasting Plant, and 1515. I love Trinosophes for its tea. I wished they had the drip system as well as the press system. I would go there more
    r
    I
    n

I have always been partial to the Burger King on Lafayette. Great coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Do you roast inside your house... I roast in my garage because of the smoke.
    Thank goodness it is warm this morning...I'm headed to the garage to roast some beans fresh for my darlin's birthday breakfast.

Wish me luck!

That Great Guy Guest

Tim Hortin's is the best coffee. But then I don't go anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Thank goodness it is warm this morning...I'm headed to the garage to roast some beans fresh for my darlin's birthday breakfast.

Wish me luck!
    Well how did it go

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Well how did it go
    Total success...roasted some of the Germack-sourced Ethiopian Sidamo first for 26 minutes, and per the instructions watched the whole time. Fascinating to see 'em grow with the heat, and I was listening for the 'first crack' that some roasters stop at for best flavor...and was distressed that there was another seven minutes left after hearing it. I've been a darker roast kinda guy for years, but now will need to experiment with THAT, too!

The second roast was Costa Rican Tarrazu...which I didn't babysit. Thought the first batch didn't make a smell, but when returning to the garage after a short break...whoa. They say this Nesco roaster can be used inside due their filtration system, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I couldn't wait, so the first batch was ground and made just after an hour. I smelled the leftover beans from both after a few hours and notice a distinct difference in the smell. I was worried that the second had one of the 'bad' beans I learned about at Anthology...they have some common pest infestation and smell like rotten potatoes after the beans are roasted, and especially after they are ground and watered.

That first batch went over very well with my birthday girl...I notice a more complex collection of taste, especially the aftertaste. SO smooth, yet every tastebud joining in the party. The smell is intoxicating...

So the next experiment is to make a few more cups for the next part of the day...we've really stretched out this morning!

Cheers

Oh, and it is great to have compressed air nearby to clean up the chaff filter and roasting mechanism...I've got a compressor in the garage with a carry-tank, so I had the air without the noise. Best cleanup scheme ever...

Best coffee in a pinch off the true coffee connoisseur scene? Speedway is great for gas station coffee...

The worst? Tim Hortons! ----

Thought the first batch didn't make a smell, but when returning to the garage after a short break...whoa. They say this Nesco roaster can be used inside due their filtration system, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Cheers
    My first roaster was a NESCO and I never had a smell come from it, even inside the small apartment I occupied at the time. You're roasting in the garage and you still noticed a strong smell?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    My first roaster was a NESCO and I never had a smell come from it, even inside the small apartment I occupied at the time. You're roasting in the garage and you still noticed a strong smell?
    NOT strong, but noticeable. Remember, my gal has a super-smell sense and is already on edge from the first attempt...which was pretty horrid, in a cast-iron skillet and all!

I wouldn't have complained, but will still likely roast the beans out there once a week.

Odd how fluffy the pour is now...I've had some beans take their time 'out-gassing' but they way fresh-roasted behaves is a little ridiculous. Might have to use No.4 filters in the No.2 holder to contain it. Had a wee issue in a rush a few moments ago...she called it 'chewy'. Last thing an eager barista needs to hear.

Cheers

Looks like we helped another young journalist with their homework.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/entert...w/-/index.html

Not very much information...and some errors. I think she is confused between wholesale and retail. And to ignore the ones in Corktown is akin to a journalistic sin.

I typed two originally, but then realized I was committing a bit of sin, too, forgetting the great joint on Trumbull a few blocks from the big post office...Le Petit Zinc.

There is SO much good coffee in this city...

^^ Geez, that's one of the busiest pages I've ever seen! My eyes hurt! I couldn't find anything through the clutter on the first page before my head almost exploded. Got a link to the actual article? Oh, and a happy 50th, G!

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    ^^ Geez, that's one of the busiest pages I've ever seen! My eyes hurt! I couldn't find anything through the clutter on the first page before my head almost exploded. Got a link to the actual article? Oh, and a happy 50th, G!
    I had the same experience at first, I really hate how they've programmed that page. It was designed by someone who thinks ADHD is a gift, I'd bet. And they want to infect the rest of us with their inability to hold attention.

There was no direct link to the story, sorry.

Thanks for the b-day wishes! I'm going to go roast some more beans this morning...this is already one of my favorite ways to spend an hour...might have to get a bigger roaster, though, this one just doesn't have the production capability to keep up with my honey's and my relative addiction!

Cheers

Thanks for the b-day wishes! I'm going to go roast some more beans this morning...
    Make sure you put a candle on top of those beans!

And, if you buy yourself a roaster for your birthday, take a good look at the Iroast. Seeing as you're so into the process, you'll love how you can create different "profiles" adjusting the time and temperature during the roast. That gives you some control between the first and second cracks, and the overall length of the roast.

Cool, thanks.

Just caught this article in the Freep. Nicely done, but the image is from some joint up in TRAVERSE CITY! [[ugh) I'd suggest that none of the locals advertise in this rag...heh.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013112...ls-work-better

The Avenue of Fashion was going to have its first coffee shop opening on the strip in years. Sad to say that the owner[[winner of the Hatch Award) decided to pull out and not open it. The art store next to it had tried to open it with no sucess. I would had love to see a cafe in that area

I'm probably too showered to be mistaken for a hipster but I love 1515 Broadway. He plays french CBC!

Name:  wurlitzer.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  39.3 KB

The Bottom Line is a nice place with a rustic flair

My favorite spot is Chazzano on 9 Mile in the eastern-most section of Ferndale. They offer a huge variety of different beans and serve it in a French press. You can also get pour-over or vacuum, too. The beans are roasted right there. Really excellent! These people know beans, coffee beans.

Excellent.

When will the Starbucks at Campus Martius open? It is strange that Potbelly set up shop within a month of the coming soon sign being posted but there is still no signs of life in the Starbuck's end

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    When will the Starbucks at Campus Martius open? It is strange that Potbelly set up shop within a month of the coming soon sign being posted but there is still no signs of life in the Starbuck's end
    Good. Starbuck's is crap

I know this thread is ancient...but this is worth sharing.

Went down to the Market Sunday to meet a friend from Rochester down for the game.

He all but dragged me up to see the folks at White Pine Coffee...in Shed 3, I think. They were giving tastes of one of their roasts, and he was impressed.

Geez, these cats are easily as scientific, if not more, than that wonderful maniac at Chazzano.

I got the whole spiel...but it was so much I went into overload. Suffice to say their introductory level of bean is what most roasters consider their most premium source. Their top level of 4 contains small batches of very special beans...of which I bought their "Fazenda Santa Barbara" 2014 CoE Brazil PN Lot #4.

This particular source...not narrowed to the region, or even grower...but the actual date/lot heritage...of an award-winning roast in the Brazil Cup of Excellence competition. Single origin...in a range that White Pine calls their Lumber Baron's reserve.

I just went back for my second cup today, not from a need for caffeine...but rather a desire for the wonderful lingering tastes of this brew.

Get down to Eastern Market, White Pine Coffee will be there at least on Sundays...it'll save you the drive up to just the other side of Auburn Hills, but if you want to see where they do all the magic...they are just north of the Palace. Appointment only, though.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; June-29-15 at 02:06 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast