Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
I used to tell people I roasted my own coffee, and many would reply that they ground their own beans, as if to say that was an equivalent. I always liked coffee but never knew how good it could taste until I started roasting. Nor did I ever think there could be so many subtle nuances between coffee regions, or even between growers within the same country.
Cliffy and downtownguy-
It is nice to learn that you both are home roasters. I roast with a Nesco, started with a popper, and I buy my beans from Sweetmaria's. If I am short of green beans between orders, I will pick up a pound at either Germack's or at Espresso Elevado in Plymouth. She is a great small-batch roaster, and the espresso bar is excellent.

It is also great that we finally have a few places around the city to enjoy a good cup of coffee, but not like the number you'll find in other cities. Always Brewing Detroit just opened this year in my neighborhood, and I love having a place I can walk to for a cup. The place is pretty busy, especially in the morning, with a lot of neighbors who seem to feel the same way I do. They specialize in pour-overs and also do espresso drinks. I try to get to all of the new espresso bars, but there are enough new ones that I have a backlog.

I agree about Anthology. Very knowledgeable roasters, and they produce a great roast. The first time I had their coffee was in Traverse City, and I was impressed.