Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nunns BBQ on Conant south of 7mile is pretty good. Nothing like fries smoothered in bbq sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Woah. this is DetroitYES, not SuburbiaYES.

Like it or not the suburbs are Detroit.

"Mission
    Detroit. What went wrong? How can we heal it? Where are we going? The DetroitYES! Project takes on these questions by providing a cyberspace setting where an audience of those who care can meet, discuss, and discover the way forward toward resolution of the complex and evolving issues facing the strugglingDetroit-Windsor international metropolis."
    http://www.detroityes.com/about.php

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Loopier? I guess that's what you get for supporting mom & pop shops over chains these days! Of course, only a man as educated and rational as Gistok understands that - for example - shopping at Wal-Mart is just as good for the local economy as shopping at a locally owned market.
    Alright... Tim Horton [[a Canadian restaurant chain) provides health insurance, dental, vision and 401K benefits for their workers... whereas most locally owned independent restaurants do not provide even simple health care.

Now which would you would lump together with worker benefit starved Walmart??

If you're going to make educated choices... you need to look at the bigger picture. It's a much more complex set of parameters... rather than lumping things together based solely on independent vs. chain...
    Last edited by Gistok; October-22-13 at 10:30 AM.

You're seriously going to talk up the benefits packages offered up by national chains? At the wage Tim Horton pays [[at or very near minimum wage), for example, you'd have to work there 4 or 5 years before the employer contribution to the benefits package is sizable enough to not make a huge dent in your paycheck. And the package isn't even that good!

Believe me, the higher wages mom & pop shops tend to pay more than makes up for whatever bogus healthcare package McDonald's or what have you is offering. You're really living in a fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Mexican: Maria's Comida [[are they still open?) On Campau across the street from L. George Coney.
    Maria's closed the restaurant last year to concentrate on making and marketing their line of salsa.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Believe me, the higher wages mom & pop shops tend to pay more than makes up for whatever bogus healthcare package McDonald's or what have you is offering. You're really living in a fantasy world.
    First of all I'm amazed at your level of wisdom of mom and pop restaurant wages vis a vis national chains...

But after reading some of your "sage" comments on the Mayoral thread... I think that arguing with you is... well... pointless...

Not too far from Buddy's!

My bad, Poobert. They are indeed open. I'm sorry, I would never make something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok
    First of all I'm amazed at your level of wisdom of mom and pop restaurant wages vis a vis national chains...

Yes, because I've worked for corporate chains and big box stores, and I've worked for mom & pop operations.

To me, you sound like one of those people that drives to your mid-level job five days a week, believes everything the mainstream media reports, and never questions much of anything. It's easy to live in a bubble and parrot whatever the media reports and sound like you know something, so that's what you do. But there are way more layers to what's happening in this world than you're apparently ready to discuss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2