Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Crain's Article on a Detroit MLS Team

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...d-beat-odds-on

A lot of good [[if not groundbreaking) info on how MLS works and how franchises get awarded. It also takes a peek in the finances of the league and it's economic structure.

I also have a new idea for a name for the team, if we got one: Arsenal Detroit. 2 reasons for this name: it's a storied soccer name [[London's Arsenal FC) in a league where a number of other teams have adopted soccer-history names. It also pays tribute to Detroit being the center of US manufacturing as FDR's "Arsenal of Democracy".

I hope we do get a team. I think it could be made to work. It would require an owner with a long-term commitment to the team, league and city. It would not recoup it's investment quickly. Here's to hoping.

the article was also saying that we would find out who would win the jail site. gilbert or apop..

to be honest i'm still very skeptical apop could get the financing he needs for this billion dollar project.. kind of hoping gilbert wins out... he would act immediately

SpartanDawg, I hope the Greek does not get the site, or an MLS franchise. I don't doubt his intentions, but rather his ability to pull it off. I mean, he and his people have neither revamped nor replaced the Silverdome. Vague promises of high-end retail, food courts and an office building with a little stadium thrown in don't make me feel confident.

I would be shocked if Gilbert doesn't get the nod for the space. As to a location for a stadium, I prefer behind the Fox, with forntage on Grand River.

I'd be very happy if Apop didn't win. He keeps promising us the world and delivering us a slice of nothing. I just drove past the Silverdome last weekend and that place just looks sad. Gilbert, while not perfect, at least has said he'll do something and followed through of the most part.