Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Then, it's look at all this money I freed up so we can pay everything on time! If anything, he's hurting the city's case in regards to short-term debts, and putting the onus on reducing long-term debts, like pensions.
    The short term debts aren't what bankrupt us. It's the long-term structural debts that are a drain on the coffers.
    In fact, I thought Orr claimed he was going to do just that. But the last few times I drove around Detroit, traffic lights were out all over the place and most of the east side was in the dark! But I'm glad to know whoever is bidding on tethers or whatever is getting paid on time.
    Installation of new lights will begin in the next 3 weeks.

http://detroit2020.com/2013/10/22/re...y-not-working/

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    The short term debts aren't what bankrupt us. It's the long-term structural debts that are a drain on the coffers.

Installation of new lights will begin in the next 3 weeks.

http://detroit2020.com/2013/10/22/re...y-not-working/
    Quit posting facts into these threads!

I will be honest, I have noticed things SLOWLY improving from where we were in 2012. New traffic signs have been put up along my part of 7 Mile, along with a bike lane being added. Also, I've seen the new police cars several times throughout the NE side [[I've seen the new ambulances twice). There are also a lot more cops on the street patrolling [[and even doing traffic stops) now versus in 2012. But I would really like to see improvements in street lighting and blight removal, which I haven't seen yet.

Will these PAINFULLY SLOW, INCREMENTAL improvements convince me to stay [[or even come back) once I make my move out of state? Not a chance, I'm done. But I won't say I haven't noticed any improvements from the absolute bottom we had hit back in the Spring/Summer of 2012 either [[I wouldn't wish that experience on the citizens of any city), and this can't be nothing but a plus for those who will still be here.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-22-13 at 06:48 PM.

whether or not you agree with the EM or not MD has a mild point. EM is here. This is a non issue at this point. Detroit needs someone looking to the future as opposed to someone gridlocked against past shit we cant do much about.... Someone who can work with the EM until they go away. Lets face it. Even if the EM was removed where does that leave Detroit? Same creditors, same operating costs, same deficit, same challenges, same problems. An EM obstructionist doesn't help Detroit. This to me is just a candidate looking for something incendiary in order to undermine the opponent regardless of its merits or lack thereof.

Now if getting rid of the EM was the way to fix Detroit I would staunchly support it because IMO fuck the EM but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work like that. Detroit needs to do what it has to do to get rid of the EM. Someone resisting the EM will only prolong the situation and make it worse.

I say this as a few things. A non supporter of BN, MD and the EM, Im a suburbanite, I have no vote so my opinion is worthless.
    Bing seems to get it. Its too bad he doesn't run again. I think hes the best mayor Detroit has had in Decades.
    Last edited by rex; October-22-13 at 10:41 PM.

clearly you don't live in the city. Bing is a nice man but has accomplished little.

nope dont live in the city. Takes $$$ to accomplish things in a city. Detroit has been saddled with expensive debt. I dont remember exactly what I read but I think it was something like 40 cents on the dollar was being paid to interest on loans that went bad. I think hes accomplished quite a bit. City payroll didn't shrink with the decline in population. Bing chopped a lot of jobs in an effort to rightsize despite the unions. Doesn't make him popular and doesn't make me happy to think about but growing cities add employees, conversely shrinking cities need to cut employees. He was pretty much all over the place trying to figure out ways to save $$$ and prevent the EM. EM is unpopular and rightly so but I think he finally realized the EM was inevitable. You cant suspend lawn mowing and close enough parks to make a difference when you are in that deep. I think there is less corruption since he has become mayor. Plenty has been uncovered to be sure. I think he must have inherited a lot of that corruption. City council made it hard for him to accomplish much. His ideas were a little too big and unimplementable. That whole move people out of mostly empty areas. It makes some sense i suppose but where was the money supposed to come from? He did tear down his share of houses but its possible new ones were being abandoned as fast as he was tearing em down. Above all he was the face behind unpopular agenda that really wasn't his own and he couldnt do much to stop. It was every couple months "city to run out of $$$ in 2 weeks" and then what? City services stop and checks stop coming? Unpopular painful stuff was going to happen eventually. This wasn't going to be swept under the rug and it finally happened. IMO at this point the best that could happen is everything works smoothly, shit gets renegotiated, detroit gets some fed help which came along right after bankruptcy and the city moves on. A new mayor that fights the process isnt going to help the process along. Better to have someone that cooperates, pretty sure thats how you chase an EM out of town. I could be wrong on lots of things here, I dont really pay that close of attention.
    Last edited by rex; October-23-13 at 10:19 AM.

Corktown you are giving orr too much credit. Lighting Authority was being set up by council before he came in.

Eliminating red tape...good job.
    But tearing down houses is a short term fix. Detroit has been tearing down structures and clearing slums since the 1950's. tearing down a house is good for the neighbors but does nothing to help the city. just another vacant lot.
    No one is bringing in business, Havnt heard anything about lowering property tax. Haven't heard anything about implementing DFC.

I have seen some Sidewalk and road improvement projects. But those are not Orr.

What Craig is doing seems to be good. But results are not there yet.

I think the point is. How can he restructure the books and do the City's work at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I still don't understand what you're talking about. I read the article.

Detroit Lighting Authority - Pilot project began on September 20, 2013.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.freep.com/article/20130919/NEWS01/309190177/

Blight Emergency Order dated August 29, 2013 drastically reduces red tape to eliminate blight, a process which previously required 36 steps and 2 years to complete.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

Things are looking ridiculously hot. And certainly hotter than any other administration has been able to accomplish in a long, long, long time.

These problems are so huge that even with these giant steps which remove miles and miles of financial and legal hurdles, blight and lighting will STILL take 2-3 years to work through. But credit Orr for eliminating the red tape.

I'm not rooting for Orr. I'm not rooting against Orr. I'm rooting for all the BS in City Hall that makes it impossible to make progress on this stuff.

36 steps and 2 years of legal work to clear title to demolish a blighted house??

No wonder we weren't getting anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    I think the point is. How can he restructure the books and do the City's work at the same time?
    You raise a good point here, and frankly I'm not sure that he can. It would honestly be better if there was a strong Mayor/City Manager Type Figure -- analogous to DPD Chief Craig -- on the municipal side of the operation restructuring the City of Detroit bureaucracy.

Like Craig, I think he should answer to Orr, but I agree that I don't think Orr can handle both the books and the operations simultaneously.

But already this is a different conversation from, "Orr hasn't done anything and he's been here 3 months".

word is that dpd didnt pay the rent and they are getting kicked out of the lakeshore building on grand blvd and woodward.

maybe its just a vicious rumor?

Detroit as in the city and metro powers the state,so it is in the states best interest to look after that.

The state as in Michigan is in a stagment situation and the quickest and most productive or return and growth is in Detroit,the city rebuilt will show growth for the state.

The state wants to control that growth and the city wants to protect its identity,so it becomes a battle nobody is right or wrong and both sides need to find a happy medium in order for it to work.

EM works on the finances and the mayor and city council work on the daily running of the city.

The EM now is playing the role of EM,mayor,and city council,face it if he had come in and removed everybody all hell would have broke loose.

In theory that has taken place all ready it just looks better this way.

Mr. Bing ? I think nobody will ever know if he could have made or even did make for a good mayor,because there seemed to be zero cooperation
    between the mayors office and city council,to many self serving egos to do anything.

So other then the legalities of the legacy costs what exactly is the EM doing that a strong mayor working together with a strong city council cannot accomplish in their course of duties and responsibility to the taxpayer.

Every thing the EM is doing now was the job of the city government,you could not walk in there and fire everybody so the solution was the EM,maybe not the best or right but there was no other choice ,kinda stuck with it and the consequences that follow.

The new city mayor and council will not be going in as a powerless face they will be the transition of power back to the city where it needs to be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2