Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    They don't sell slurpees inside big plastic cups and they closes after business hours. Don't fool everyone; the one on Merchant's Row is a LIQUOR STORE and cant be compared to a 7-11

Most of those places do stay open past business hours, unless by that you mean 9pm is a business hour.

Most of the owners are decent, hard working folks that have been working long hours and investing their own money to provide a service to downtown residents and office workers when 7-11 didn't give a rat's ass. You'll need more than a Slurpee to get me into a 7-11.

I think everone has missed my point, not where are the 7-11? like actually where, but there was announcement all over the print and TV news about 3 7-11's opening in Downtown detroit this eyar. i dont see anything. i do no that the storefront on the corner of caddillac sq and Randolph is being renovated, i thought i heard thats were one was going.

I took the liberty of simply emailing, which no one else thought of. Margaret said: Hi - We plan to open a 7-Eleven store at Jefferson Avenue near Jos. Campeau on December 16, 2013. Another 7-Eleven store on Cadillac Square @ Randolph is scheduled to start construction on December 2 and is expected to open in early February of 2014. - Margaret
    Last edited by jw101; October-14-13 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    I took the liberty of simply emailing, which no one else thought of. Margaret said: Hi - We plan to open a 7-Eleven store at Jefferson Avenue near Jos. Campeau on December 16, 2013. Another 7-Eleven store on Cadillac Square @ Randolph is scheduled to start construction on December 2 and is expected to open in early February of 2014. - Margaret
    So they should be open sometime in late 2014 or early 2015 then

7-11 has slurpees and they are generally clean and know what to expect that is why I prefer those then to the generic party store which I avoid at all costs.

Well thank you. Direct approach is usually the best

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Oh my god!!! They don't sell SLURPEES!?

It's a crime against humanity I tell ya! Off with their heads!

And how many people here honestly go to a convenience store late at night? Downtown Detroit is a ghost town after the 9-5 workday [[not that they're very many people down there during the work day). There's nothing that important at these places that can't wait until the next day. And if it's absolutely necessay, gas stations are open 24 hours.
    There are people who live and play downtown. I agree that downtown need more stores than a 7/11 but it is a start

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Oh no! Where are we gonna get hot dogs that have been on metal rollers for 5 hours from?
    There's always the Speedway gasoline station at Larned/Congress & the I-75 service drive. Just watch your back there.

And how many people here honestly go to a convenience store late at night?
    Me. All the time, in fact.

Downtown Detroit is a ghost town after the 9-5 workday
    Not really. But then I'm one of the "ghosts." Anyway, when was the last time you were downtown on, say, a summer Friday night? It's at at least as active as almost any suburban area. Particularly with more and more people living downtown, I think the area could pretty easily support a well-run late night store. But I certainly don't think it has to be a generic 7-11.

And how many people here honestly go to a convenience store late at night?
    I do too... I go 4 times a week. You'd be surprised what funny habits people will have when 1) given a nearby choice... and 2) not having to worry about watching your back...

I know the electrician doing work for one of them early this summer. With the city in general dissarray and BSE inspectors not showing up when scheduled, the process is painfully slow, exhibit the Crown Plaza taking forever to "open"

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    There's always the Speedway gasoline station at Larned/Congress & the I-75 service drive. Just watch your back there.
    Filled up my car and / or stopped in for coffee a ton of times at that Speedway [[not at night though) never had a hint of a problem there.

Name:  7 11 thialand.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  36.3 KB

This was NOT any of the many 7-11's I enjoyed in Thailand, and they were everywhere. I doubt the slushie machine would work in this place but maybe the hotdogs kept cooked okay. The slushies in Thailand were so much better than ours.

I have NO idea what was in the Thai 7-11 hot dogs, dont want to know but they were good.
    Last edited by Django; October-16-13 at 11:58 PM.

^^ Haha...I plan to go to Thailand in April, Django. I'd love to hear some of your tales.

LOL! That was a good one....

Saw the first 7-eleven sign go up on that building on Jefferson across from IHOP. It use to be an AT&T store and then it was a Rick Snyder campaign office.

This post made me think about 7-11's for the first time in 20 years. Now I will forget about them and go on with my life. Sheesh.

Well for all the folks who haven't been to a 7-Eleven in years... things have changed somewhat... they now carry a lot of healthy snacks and food... fresh fruit, salads, sandwiches... as well as their greasy spoon and artery clogging fare. And even their coffee.. is a really good roast. I'm pretty snooty when it comes to coffee, and usually buy European imported roast coffee... but I often will just go to 7-Eleven and get a pouch of their own blend for 99 cents and cook up a pot at home. It's really pretty good.

But when you are up at midnight... and crave something... it's hard to beat the convenience of a 7-Eleven when you have a sudden impulse, or some unexpected visitors.

They also seemed to be doing some work at the Cadillac Sq location earlier this week, first time I've really noticed anything happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I know the electrician doing work for one of them early this summer. With the city in general dissarray and BSE inspectors not showing up when scheduled, the process is painfully slow, exhibit the Crown Plaza taking forever to "open"
    This.

This is a huge problem that takes a back seat to the failing schools and police who don't come.

Even if you're brave or shrewd enough to set up a business in the city [[or buy a home, for that matter) good fucking luck. While the city should be falling over themselves to get you in, they instead gum up the process to the point where many people just throw up their hands. The freaks at the City County Building don't help, either.

the 7-11 by Randoph and Monroe wil be opening ssoon, they already remodling the building and the signs ae up saying 7-11 deliveries go to back of building

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    the 7-11 by Randoph and Monroe wil be opening ssoon, they already remodling the building and the signs ae up saying 7-11 deliveries go to back of building
    You meant Randolph and Cadillac Square?

I hope the one on chene/Jefferson opens soon. Does 7-11 have good coffee? What about doughnuts?

The 7-11’s around here have several – like 5 or 6 – varieties of coffee, they are all in carafes, and each one has a thermometer displaying the temperature of the coffee inside. Don’t forget the “shots” and various creamers available. I don’t buy coffee there – I make it at home and take it with me. I have had their coffee, and think it’s fine @ $1.50
    Donuts are kinda limited but good
    7-11 does have several cold sandwiches which I do purchase when I’m on the run – easy peasy – lemon squeezy.
    Most have Bank of America ATM

Signage is up for the 7-11 at Jefferson and Chene in the strip mall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast