Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This whole thing just pisses me off.

Assuming publicly available information is correct it appears that the owners offices may be reached at the following numbers [[This is just from a Google search so it isn't private info)

Paul Curtis - [[313) 331-5265
    Daphne Curtis - [[313) 224-2240

Anyone have any pics of the new damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Thanks. That was an unusually informative article. The update is at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    This is only good news if they actually fix the building. The deal should be - fix the building and the tickets get torn up. Demolish the building and you still have to pay.

I'm guessing they have to pay either way, which makes demolition cheaper...
    Think this one through. If you can just pay later, then you'll never do now. It has to be a fine -- and paying the fine must not be avoidable.

Detroit's administrative court on this is one of the few good things Detroit's done lately. Its far from perfect, but its the beginning of setting standards that will help the city.

I saw a generator running with elecrical wires running to the roof next to the Wurlitzer. There were construction noises inside. Anybody know what is going on?

A sign at 1515 Broadway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    A sign at 1515 Broadway.
    Saw this a few weeks ago when I dropped a friend off at Small Plate's. Love it! Just wish someone would ACTUALLY buy it and try to fix it

I like coffee. I'll have to consider it.

I stopped by 1515 Broadway Coffee and I was told the Wurlitzer was sold about a week ago. The new owner had come in for his free cup of coffee. They said the same person has been negotiating to purchase the Metropol Building.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    I stopped by 1515 Broadway Coffee and I was told the Wurlitzer was sold about a week ago. The new owner had come in for his free cup of coffee. They said the same person has been negotiating to purchase the Metropol Building.
    odds it's Gilbert? 50/50?

Suppose it's free coffee for life or just A free coffee?

Well this should be interesting. But if it was Gilbert, I'd think we'd have heard something at this point. Bedrock seems to have this stuff announced on it's site the moment the ink is dry on the paperwork. I guess we will have to wait and see, unless someone goes and interrogates the owner of 1515.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Bedrock seems to have this stuff announced on it's site the moment the ink is dry on the paperwork.
    Not so. Bedrock didn't acknowledge buying the Vinton for several months, and I'm not sure they've publicly acknowledged buying the two smaller buildings on the Bates Garage block, although it's been widely reported he used his agent to keep it under wraps for some time.

if it was gilbert though do you think anyone from his organization would go in requesting the free cup of coffee? seems like a strange thing to do for a guy who is beginning to buy things somewhat secretly.

If it's Gilbert, say goodbye to these buildings.

These would be the first derelict ones in his portfolio. He's not a preservationist, he's a capitalist. The Metro and Wurli are more valuable to him as rubble.

I thought that getting a hold of the Metro building involved a lot of hoops to jump through...

According to City of Detroit Buildings, Safety Engineering & Environmental Department website, 1509 Broadway has already been approved for demolition. Of course.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...litionMap.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    According to City of Detroit Buildings, Safety Engineering & Environmental Department website, 1509 Broadway has already been approved for demolition. Of course.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...litionMap.aspx
    I wouldn't out too much stock in that site. 1216 Randolph has also been approved for demoliton. Someone better notify Diversified Restaurant Holdings, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    If it's Gilbert, say goodbye to these buildings.

These would be the first derelict ones in his portfolio. He's not a preservationist, he's a capitalist. The Metro and Wurli are more valuable to him as rubble.
    How so? The city's got a million empty lots and he used two to build his Z building. I don't think he's been proven to be against preservation. He's done a pretty good job of doing positive things and avoiding controversy. Taking down the Wurlitzer and/or Metropolitan would burn up a lot of his goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    How so? The city's got a million empty lots and he used two to build his Z building. I don't think he's been proven to be against preservation. He's done a pretty good job of doing positive things and avoiding controversy. Taking down the Wurlitzer and/or Metropolitan would burn up a lot of his goodwill.
    No doubt. I think he'd fall out of everybody's good graces if he took them down.

However, he's purchased what, 30 buildings in the past two years? The majority of them have been semi-occupied, or vacant yet mothballed. There's 30 examples of the type of properties he's interested in for ya. He's invested a shit-ton of money into them, sure.

My fair assumption is the Metro and Wurlitzer would take Book Cadillac or Broderick Tower style rehabs. Dan Gilbert has no track record of developing these types of properties. Could he? Certainly. Will he? Probably not. There's a better chance of him leveling the two and building something in their place.

He's said in interviews that his real estate activity here in downtown isn't charity. It makes business sense for him. So whatever he does has to make financial sense.

Don't let me give you the impression that I wouldn't be pissed if either of them came down though. The Metropolitan is possibly my favorite downtown building.

More info. Apparently the sale has not yet gone through but it is not Gilbert. It involves Kincaid Henry Associates in Lansin​g. They have been evaluating the building. Kincaid Henry has a history of renovating old buildings.

More info. Apparently the sale has not yet gone through but it is not Gilbert. It involves Kincaid Henry Associates in Lansin​g. They have been evaluating the building. Kincaid Henry has a history of renovating old buildings.
    this is good news

hopefully they will completely renovate the building and make it into something attractive again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast