Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Good. I'll never forget the day I took my son, who was about 6 at the time, to the water slide near the Belle Isle beach. There were a couple young people standing around who told me they weren't open yet, even though it was 10 minutes past the posted opening time.

So we waited around for several minutes before they finally decided to open the gate. We were the only people in line. The attendant couldn't have been ruder, ordering my son to show him the inside of his trunks to ensure they were indeed swimming trunks [[as opposed to shorts). I realize they have to do this, but it was the way he talked to him -- so rudely, in fact, I asked to see the manager. I was told the manager wasn't in yet.

So my son took one trip down the water slide, and the attendant told me he was closing. I asked why and he said "break." I said, "You have got to be kidding me; you just opened," and I got a snide answer.

So I stuck around until the supervisor showed up about a half-hour later. Again, I was treated with the utmost rudeness by this jerk. So I cussed him out and went on my way.

I would have reported him to a higher power if I thought it would've done some good. Instead, I chalked it up to yet another rude City of Detroit employee.

So let the state take over Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    Good. I'll never forget the day I took my son, who was about 6 at the time, to the water slide near the Belle Isle beach. There were a couple young people standing around who told me they weren't open yet, even though it was 10 minutes past the posted opening time.

So we waited around for several minutes before they finally decided to open the gate. We were the only people in line. The attendant couldn't have been ruder, ordering my son to show him the inside of his trunks to ensure they were indeed swimming trunks [[as opposed to shorts). I realize they have to do this, but it was the way he talked to him -- so rudely, in fact, I asked to see the manager. I was told the manager wasn't in yet.

So my son took one trip down the water slide, and the attendant told me he was closing. I asked why and he said "break." I said, "You have got to be kidding me; you just opened," and I got a snide answer.

So I stuck around until the supervisor showed up about a half-hour later. Again, I was treated with the utmost rudeness by this jerk. So I cussed him out and went on my way.

I would have reported him to a higher power if I thought it would've done some good. Instead, I chalked it up to yet another rude City of Detroit employee.

So let the state take over Belle Isle.
    Thanks for taking part in the dismantling of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    All that time wasted by the "Clownsil". This should have been done the first time it was offered, and maybe there would already be park improvements.
    I'm with you. Their refusal to do this earlier was the epitome of idiocy.

Wonderful news. This will be good for Belle Isle and city residents

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    Thanks for taking part in the dismantling of Detroit.
    Yup, Joe is guilty of using nasty four letter words to dedicated CoD employees. Nasty words like "WORK!"

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...l#.Ukt9U4asjlM

[COLOR=#2C2C2C]“It flies in the face of all the public pronouncements of the state trying to help the city,” Watson said. “It sounds like a rape to me. It should never be touched. It’s a disgrace before God to have this outrageous seizing of an asset.”

Hey J-dawg, you know what sounds like rape, you ignorant beast? Rape. Rape destroys lives. My girlfriend was raped. It isn't a joke. It isn't hyperbole. It isn't a metaphor. 1 in 5 women in the United States of America have been raped.

And the nerve to bring God into this? Who raised this person?

I'm goddamn sick of this dumpster fire and her never-ending race-baiting.
    Last edited by poobert; October-01-13 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

[COLOR=#2C2C2C]“It flies in the face of all the public pronouncements of the state trying to help the city,” Watson said. “It sounds like a rape to me. It should never be touched. It’s a disgrace before God to have this outrageous seizing of an asset.”

Hey J-dawg, you know what sounds like rape, you ignorant beast? Rape. Rape destroys lives. My girlfriend was raped. It isn't a joke. It isn't hyperbole. It isn't a metaphor. 1 in 5 women in the United States of America have been raped.

I had to go to the article, because I didn't believe she said what you quoted she said.

And, I was wrong. My God.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It would be nice if they wouldn't hassle those who have their business meetings in the full moon over 40s of beer.

Pretty sure that wouldn't happen in a State Park.

Amen to that, brother.

I promise not to give a shit about the state taking over Belle Isle if the police leave me and my friends alone to blaze and drink our drank in peace. Like we've been doing for the last 15+ years with ZERO problems. We even pick up the garbage during the process.

And they betnot mess with the parking lot pimpin that ensues on the weekend evenings. Grown folks need places to hang out and meet people and show off their cars after the kiddies are tucked away.

Speaking of "they" I wonder how this impacts law enforcement presence on the island. Does DNR patrol the Island, DPD, or state troopers? And what will the hours be?

It sure wouldn't suck if the island went back to being open 24 hours, IMO.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; October-01-13 at 10:22 PM.

[QUOTE=detroitsgwenivere;404735]Amen to that, brother.

I promise not to give a shit about the state taking over Belle Isle if the police leave me and my friends alone to blaze and drink our drank in peace. Like we've been doing for the last 15+ years with ZERO problems. We even pick up the garbage during the process.[quote]

I'm cool with that too. The question of enforcement of weed is going to be a sticky one. It's decriminalized in Detroit but not legal, though, frankly it should be. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're reasonably quiet and don't leave a mess, do whatever you want.

I think this will likely be one of the stickiest parts of the deal, and it's a big question mark.

Speaking of "they" I wonder how this impacts law enforcement presence on the island. Does DNR patrol the Island, DPD, or state troopers? And what will the hours be?
    One of the benefits to the city in this deal is that MSP will take over law enforcement. This would free 22 more cops to work the rest of the city. Given my encounters with both, I find MSP somewhat more professional. But that's just me.

By the way, the 2014 Indy Grand Prix was already finalized for Belle Isle...in fact, just a few days ago, another race [[United SportsCar) was annouced:

http://www.detroitgp.com/news/index.cfm?cid=58143

So, I guess that will mean racing will happen in a State park.

I was for state management, as I was for the group that manages Metro beach. Home [[Detroit ) rule sure doesn't work. I am old enough to remember when Belle Isle was fabulous. Want my neighborhood kids to experience something really good. They have no functional rec centers or even libraries.

[QUOTE=corktownyuppie;404738]
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Amen to that, brother.

I promise not to give a shit about the state taking over Belle Isle if the police leave me and my friends alone to blaze and drink our drank in peace. Like we've been doing for the last 15+ years with ZERO problems. We even pick up the garbage during the process.

I'm cool with that too. The question of enforcement of weed is going to be a sticky one. It's decriminalized in Detroit but not legal, though, frankly it should be. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're reasonably quiet and don't leave a mess, do whatever you want.

I think this will likely be one of the stickiest parts of the deal, and it's a big question mark.

One of the benefits to the city in this deal is that MSP will take over law enforcement. This would free 22 more cops to work the rest of the city. Given my encounters with both, I find MSP somewhat more professional. But that's just me.
    There is nothing sticky about the weed issue. the decriminalization is for private use on PRIVATE property. You still can't spark a blunt in a public park.

The only "sticky point" on this is that a large segment of Detroit in both leadership and the general population think that Belle Isle is just fine the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yup, Joe is guilty of using nasty four letter words to dedicated CoD employees. Nasty words like "WORK!"
    I hope the NSA is reading this.

[QUOTE=bailey;404746]
    Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

There is nothing sticky about the weed issue. the decriminalization is for private use on PRIVATE property. You still can't spark a blunt in a public park.

The only "sticky point" on this is that a large segment of Detroit in both leadership and the general population think that Belle Isle is just fine the way it is.
    This is the main problem! And its really not that surprising because so many Detroiters are so used to living in blighted conditions. Just look at how some of us keep our living environments. We need a major mindset change here in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

I would like to remind Gannon that this is the company he is keeping with his "THE STATE IS TAKING OUR PRECIOUS JEWELS AND SELLING THEM TO WHOEVER THEY WANT" whining. Seriously, JoAnn Watson is more types of crazy than I'd ever like to encounter. That comment was beyond out of line.

[QUOTE=getmoore;404756]
    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    This is the main problem! And its really not that surprising because so many Detroiters are so used to living in blighted conditions. Just look at how some of us keep our living environments. We need a major mindset change here in Detroit.
    I'm not sure how you got "we need a major mindset change in Detroit" from "so many Detroiters are used to living in blighted conditions," as if Detroiters LIKE living in blighted conditions, when in reality the situation is a lot more complicated than that.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Detroiters just aren't that paticularly thrilled about having people who share that faulty thought process "run the show" [[if that's the only other option besides the Joann Watsons).
    Last edited by 313WX; October-02-13 at 10:23 AM.

[QUOTE=313WX;404762]
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post

I'm not sure how you got "we need a major mindset change in Detroit" from "so many Detroiters are used to living in blighted conditions," as if Detroiters LIKE living in blighted conditions.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Detroiters just aren't that paticularly thrilled about having people who share that faulty thought process "run the show" [[if that's the only other option besides the Joann Watsons).
    Just as a point of clarification, the cited text is not mine.

[QUOTE=313WX;404762]
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post

I'm not sure how you got "we need a major mindset change in Detroit" from "so many Detroiters are used to living in blighted conditions," as if Detroiters LIKE living in blighted conditions.

I feel that when you live in less than pristine conditions, your standards for perfect are lowered. I'm not saying these people enjoy the conditions they live in, in fact I am sure they absolutely dislike them. However when you're used to being surrounded by shit, you might be more inclined to accept a messy environment that is lacking said shit.

It's so easy to give away other people's democracy.

If anybody proposed to help you, but said you had to just sign a contract blind, you'd raise holy hell, wouldn't you? Anybody would. But Detroiters are just supposed to hope for the best without any misgivings. And if you so much as mention one single misgiving, you're a grape-thrower.

That's rich.

[QUOTE=bailey;404767]
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Just as a point of clarification, the cited text is not mine.
    Yeah, I know. Sorry about that.

Someone fucked up the quotations [[can't really correct it on a smart phone)

[QUOTE=313WX;404772]
    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Yeah, I know. Sorry about that.

Someone fucked up the quotations [[can't really correct it on a smart phone)
    Hmmmmmmm...... Not very smart, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

If anybody proposed to help you, but said you had to just sign a contract blind, you'd raise holy hell, wouldn't you? Anybody would. But Detroiters are just supposed to hope for the best without any misgivings. And if you so much as mention one single misgiving, you're a grape-thrower.

That's rich.
    And I thought that Gov Snyder was democratically elected by a majority of the people of all the state and that Belle Isle was part and parcel of the great state of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

That's rich.
    Has anyone in city government even attempted to come up with an alternative, whether it was when the initial proposal was floating around or any time since they denied it? The Council had to have been aware that the State, especially after appointing an EM, was most likely going to attempt to lease Belle Isle, yet not one single soul has sat here and thought how they could best find savings and improve Belle Isle. This entire "They haven't had time to review" it thing is moot now, since this has been in play for what, six months?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    And I thought that Gov Snyder was democratically elected by a majority of the people of all the state and that Belle Isle was part and parcel of the great state of Michigan.
    Ah, yes. And I thought that the people of the state of Michigan voted against the Emergency Manager Law too.

But I guess some people's democracies trump other peoples democracies, hmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Has anyone in city government even attempted to come up with an alternative, whether it was when the initial proposal was floating around or any time since they denied it? The Council had to have been aware that the State, especially after appointing an EM, was most likely going to attempt to lease Belle Isle, yet not one single soul has sat here and thought how they could best find savings and improve Belle Isle. This entire "They haven't had time to review" it thing is moot now, since this has been in play for what, six months?
    The city did work to hammer out an agreement, and both parties walked away, unable to reach an agreement. If two private businesspeople did that, you'd just say the potential deal fell through. But it's always different for Detroit. Which is a function of prejudice and bias. So there you go.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast