Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    [/COLOR]Sounds like most of Metro Detroit! If you get away from all the US vs. Canada bickering, I think both parties would see benefit, but we're way to shortsighted to get past the arbitrary lines.
    Since we already have enough angst betwixt Detroit and the northern and western suburbs, how would it benefit Detroit [[or Windsor for that matter) by moving the border from the river to a line about 15 miles south of the river? The only benefit would be that it would be administratively easy to travel between the two cities. Commerce seems to flow just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Please name one example of this greenbelt in Canada. Now it is true they have a penchant for less single family homes, but that is not the same thing. I am willing to bet most of the towers are being driven by one of two factors: a) the desire to live close to work or transit, or b) wanting a great view.

What I have noticed is that when a city ends, it ends. This has more to do with law and where they allow the sewer and water pipes.

What is really needed is that we need to work more with our neighbors to ensure that none of us allow folks into North America that we don't want in. We also need to make it harder for those with criminal records that may be seen as questionable [[say drug trafficking) to get across.

*Added after lunch. During lunch I researched the Ontario Greenbelt and was surpr9ised to see that it has one. One of the issues I saw in the maps was that it was either on land that would never be developed anyway [[Niagra Escarpment and lowest extensions of the Canadian Shield). And that there was still a lot of room st sprawl before it starts. I also see that Wendall Cox is against it. That make me for it.
    The Greater Toronto area has a crazy amount of sprawl that makes Macomb Twp look tiny. Just go north on the 400 or 404 from Toronto and you will see it alive and well. Area like Concord, Vaughn, Newmarket, Aurora, Bradford, and Gwilliabury are all essentially carbon copies of places like Novi.

Detroit just might be a unique international city and Windsor it's sister city

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    How disgusted were you with the government shutdown during the Gerald Ford administration, the five shutdowns during the Carter administration, the eight under Reagan, and the one under the elder Bush. All of these shutdowns were engineered by a Democratic congress [[including shutting down the government while one of their own, Carter, was in the White House).
    Interesting. A person says they're disgusted with both parties, and Hermod writes, as if in rebuttal, about the disgusting behavior of both parties. Did I miss something here?

If Windsor were part of the United States, and hence Detroit, there would be one good thing: That Journey song would finally make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCy7lLQwToI

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Interesting. A person says they're disgusted with both parties, and Hermod writes, as if in rebuttal, about the disgusting behavior of both parties. Did I miss something here?
    As usual, you completely [[and probably deliberately) missed the point. There was nowhere near the current poutrage when the Dems in the house shut down the federal government as a lever against the sitting president .

As usual, you completely [[and probably deliberately) missed the point. There was nowhere near the current poutrage when the Dems in the house shut down the federal government as a lever against the sitting president .
    Oh, so you're not sick of both parties, like the post you're responding to. You're using a person's remarks about being fed up with both parties to springboard into your own partisan moan of "b-b-b-b-but the Democrats ...!"

And here I was sensing a little something fresh in your politics. Ah, well ...

DetroitPlanner, there are large greenbelts surrounding both Toronto and Ottawa. They do not cover "undevelopable land". The idea behind them is to protect agricultural land because southern Ontario has the most fertile land in Canada and we can't just allow it to be eaten away by development. In turn, this requires that cities and suburbs build more high-density neighbourhoods to accommodate the growing population.

Regarding Windsor, there is no desire to become part of Michigan because we already have all the benefits of living next to a big city [[pro sports teams, concerts, shopping, etc) but none of the big city problems like crime, traffic, etc. It's perfect - we can just hop over there and take advantage of all the good stuff for a day or evening and then leave all of the bad stuff behind when we cross back over at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Embee; October-05-13 at 09:51 PM.

How disgusted were you with the government shutdown during the Gerald Ford administration, the five shutdowns during the Carter administration, the eight under Reagan, and the one under the elder Bush. All of these shutdowns were engineered by a Democratic congress [[including shutting down the government while one of their own, Carter, was in the White House).
    To be honest Hermod, i was younger then and retrospect i never gave serious enough thought to our government not being able to , or not wanting to , fulfill all of the promises that had been made to our people over the years. I believed in what i was told. I believed in our Government. It has only been in the last 7 or 8 years that i have seen what has happened and that the great idea of "it wont happen to me" has hit home. It is going to affect all of us. And i am damn disgusted that politicians who earn more than us forever, have much better insurance benefits than we do, but we pay them for life.......and on and on. and that these same politicians are not there 6 days a week, 18 hours a day to get this figured out! The American people deserve better than this. [[Climbing down off my soapbox)

lily

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2