Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

And here's one not yet listed: During the mid-to-late 1950's there was a Dairy Queen apparently franchised by an Affholter at 14070 Fort Street in Southgate. It appears in this 1950's Detroit News photo: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...-30298%5D30298
    And here's Google Street View of the above from last July: http://goo.gl/maps/qkTy6

Was this one actually part of the DQ chain? The sign may indicate it may have been [[this was before the "lips" logo currently still used at many DQ locations was first used). By 1975, it became Tasty Home Donuts and by 1991, it had become Natale's Barber Shop, which stayed as such for the 21 calendar years that followed. However, neither my 2012 or 2013 phone books list it any more and the Street View link does not show the "open" sign lit up and a "sorry we're closed" sign appears at the bottom of a window, which would assume it's vacant, but the sign reading "Natale's Barber Shop" is still up, so it may actually still be in business.

And BTW, that CVS project in Ecorse may actually have been a victim of the great recession of five years ago, because that's how long it's been a vacant lot.

EDIT: The ex-DQ in Richmond is now Pure Naturals as of last July. And here's a few additions:

KFC; Detroit; 15340 Wyoming; closed 2011?, became Tim Horton's 2012
    KFC/Long John Silver's combo; Detroit; 19833 West 7 Mile Road; closed 2011?, became Tim Horton's 2012
    A&W/Long John Silver's combo; Detroit; 17630 Grand River Avenue; opened circa 2005 on former site of Norwest Theater; became Checker's either late 2012 or early 2013
    Last edited by mtburb; December-21-13 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    A&W/Long John Silver's combo; Detroit; 17630 Grand River Avenue; opened circa 2005 on former site of Norwest Theater; became Checker's either late 2012 or early 2013
    Since that location's now listed, I noticed an error: you put in KFC instead of LJS. This 2011 Street View photo does not show a KFC, but rather an LJS.

I am surprised no one mentioned Baker Square. There were four locations in Southfield, Dearborn, Livonia, and Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganlady View Post
    I am surprised no one mentioned Baker Square. There were four locations in Southfield, Dearborn, Livonia, and Warren.
    Every location you mentioned [[except Southfield) has already been listed, plus several more you didn't mention.

And if you don't know, I've started to map out every Yum!-owned restaurant's location in the city of Detroit, past and present. While working on it, I discovered this:

KFC; Detroit; 17505 East Warren Avenue; closed late 2013; vacant
    Last edited by mtburb; December-27-13 at 04:36 PM.

The Dearborn Baker's Square is a Leo's Coney Island. Has been there for years now and is open 24 hrs. Greenfield @ Ford Rd. Right across the driveway from Art Van.

Two more locations for Schlotzsky's Deli in the 1990's

West Warren Road and West Milwaukee Road, both on the first block off of Woodward.

Both buildings now gone.

I believe there was one in Taylor as well, across from Southland Mall, and another was in Ypsilanti.

All of the Michigan locations are now closed, although the chain is still active in the rest of the Upper Midwest states.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I believe there was one in Taylor as well, across from Southland Mall, and another was in Ypsilanti.
    The Taylor one's already listed [[and I noticed something just opened up in that building recently).

And here's some updates to two Wendy's already listed:

Wendy's; Southgate; 14791 Eureka Road; closed 2006, became Popeye's Chicken circa 2009-10
    Wendy's; Trenton; 3041 Van Horn Road; closed 2006, became a relocated Subway circa early 2013

Plus, I'm still looking for confirmation on whether or not there was a Kentucky Roast Beef in Westland circa 1969-70 [[or if there were any in Michigan at all, which is probably doubtful, since most of their stride was on the left coast).

Plus, the Eureka/Fort Street KFC is, curiously enough, still listed as "Kentucky Fried Chicken of Wyandotte" in my most recent phone book [[from this past July), even though it's technically in Southgate, so this is likely an indicator that this location relocated from the previous location in the city of Wyandotte. This relocation has to have taken place after 1987 [[since a listing from that year still has it listed as being in Wyandotte on the Wayne County Register of Deeds website), but before 1991, as can be seen in this Google Street View image that was taken around the same time the aforementioned phone book was published the "Drive-Thru" portion of the road sign uses the same typewriter-esque font that was used for the logo KFC used between the early 1980's and 1991 [[when the name was officially shortened to KFC).
    Last edited by mtburb; December-28-13 at 10:28 PM.

You sure on this one? I've found no proof of one in Southfield.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    Two more locations for Schlotzsky's Deli in the 1990's

West Warren Road and West Milwaukee Road, both on the first block off of Woodward.

Both buildings now gone.
    Again, I can't prove these. I have one at 3750 Woodward — this would mean there would be three within a one mile block of Woodward.

Well, I think this former Chinese restaurant was once a Hot & Now: http://goo.gl/maps/xtmxY

You sure on this one? I've found no proof of one in Southfield.
    I meant to say OAK PARK, not Southfield. There used to be a Baker's Square on Greenfield Road in Oak Park.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Well, I think this former Chinese restaurant was once a Hot & Now: http://goo.gl/maps/xtmxY
    Looks a little "off" to me. There was a drive-in restaurant here in the 50s, so the building may date back that far.

And here's another one to add:

KFC/Taco Bell combo; Detroit; McNichols and Dequindre; closed 2011?; vacant

And a couple of corrections:

Where it says "[[Taco Bell combo)" on the listing for 6320 West Fort [[which closed, BTW, in early 2013) on the Taco Bell page, change that to "[[KFC combo)"
    Where it says "Later Tubby's" on the Ecorse listing on the Tubby's page, change that to "Opened 200x in former Taco Bell Express". Then it became a coney island [[which you already mentioned), then became Boize's Food 4 The Soul by 2011 [[that can also be listed on the Taco Bell page).

GUSHI Guest

Big boy in hamtramck Wendy's in hamtramck,

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I noticed the Big Boy's in Dearborn shut down.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I noticed the Big Boy's in Dearborn shut down.
    Yes, in 2013, can't remember exactly when.
    Last edited by msamslex; January-03-14 at 02:45 PM.

Here's some more updates and corrections [[italicized text is already on the site):

• As of 2012, New York Deli has replaced Boize's Food 4 The Soul at the BP station at 3824 West Jefferson in Ecorse.
    • Burger King; Woodhaven; 18737 West Road; closed 2011?, became Wild Coney & Grill summer 2013
    • Domino's; Southgate; 13754 Fort Street; later V's Pizzeria, closed 2013, vacant
    • KFC; Wyandotte; 3587 Fort Street; opened ca. 1966; possibly relocated to Eureka/Fort in Southgate ca. 1990, now a dentist's office
    • Church's Chicken; Southgate; 16795 Fort [[White Castle combo); originally just White Castle; Church's added mid-2000's, removed ca. 2010, White Castle remains open.
    • Church's Chicken; Southfield; 23000 Telegraph Road [[White Castle combo); originally just White Castle; Church's added mid-2000's, removed ca. 2010, White Castle remains open.
    • McDonald's; Grand Rapids; 5531 28th Street Southeast [[in Meijer); removed, store torn down and rebuilt 2010.
    • Sbarro; Taylor; Southland Center; was in food court, relocated 2006 to Borders [[now Forever 21) wing, food court torn down for Best Buy same year.
    Last edited by mtburb; January-12-14 at 12:43 PM.

GUSHI Guest

big boy on dequirder at oakland general hos. in madison hgts

And a couple more:

• KFC; Trenton; 2220 West Road; possibly relocated to 16177 West Road in Woodhaven ca. 1986, later Slick Disc, then a chiropractor's office, now vacant
    • As of December 28, 2013, Natale's Barber Shop in the ex-DQ on Fort Street in Southgate is still open.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    big boy on dequirder at oakland general hos. in madison hgts
    So there was a Big Boy in the hospital?

Here's a new entry:

Wendy's; Riverview; 18520 Fort Street; closed late 2012 or early 2013, vacant

Quote Originally Posted by TenPoundHammer View Post
    So there was a Big Boy in the hospital?
    The Big Boy was actually located inside the office blfd on Dequindre Rd in front of the hospital. It is now Parthenon Coney Island 27301 Dequindre Rd Madison Hts. Closed sometime in the early 90s, I believe.

I'm having some problems with Angelfire right now. It says my password is invalid, but when I click "forgot password" and enter my username, it tells me the username doesn't exist. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by TenPoundHammer View Post
    I'm having some problems with Angelfire right now. It says my password is invalid, but when I click "forgot password" and enter my username, it tells me the username doesn't exist. Weird.

"You have been terminated...."

^ Turns out Angelfire was having some sitewide issues. I'm back now.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast