Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Just checked the Tubby's section and the Wyandotte one has been added, but I notice a huge error: I do [[vaguely) remember both Tubby's and Stroh's in operation simultaneously and Tubby's was actually on the Sycamore Street side of the mini-mall, most likely between the former Sprint store and the former UPS Store [[both have since relocated to Eureka Road addresses).
    This source lists Tubby's as 3162 Biddle.

Quote Originally Posted by TenPoundHammer View Post
    This source lists Tubby's as 3162 Biddle.
    Well, I'm assuming that Tubby's changed where in that strip mall they were opening, as I do remember one on Sycamore Street around 2003. And what happened to that 1998 directory you were going to scan?

And here's a few updates regarding to the branding of Marathon gas stations that formerly had Blimpie locations:
    • 18300 23 Mile Road in Macomb Township is now Mobil.
    • 4407 Fort Street in Trenton and 2821 Fort Street in Wyandotte are now Future Fuels.
    • 23011 Hoover Road in Warren is now Metro.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-05-13 at 11:18 AM.

Has anyone mentioned the Lums chain, loved their beer steamed hotdogs

Here's the 1998 Southland directory: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenpoun...r/10697228995/

I finally found an address for the Sycamore Tubby's. It was 132 Sycamore.
    Last edited by TenPoundHammer; November-05-13 at 05:00 PM.

I'm now wondering what that restaurant on Racho Road near Southland Center that got torn down for the current Culver's was. Was it part of a chain [[which is very likely, since it had a drive-thru window)?

At least I now know County Seat was one of the stores that operated in the former Southland Taco Bell [[the pre-food court location) before the current Charlotte Russe, thanks to that 1998 directory.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-05-13 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward's Cousin View Post
    Don't think I saw any references to The Clock restaurants. This was a local chain of 7 to 9 as I recall with at least one in the city on the north side of Jefferson, just east of the UAW Dave Miller Retiree Center [[ formerly Nichols). Good food. 1960s.
    The Clock was at my ol' corner of Jefferson and Seminole. The building is still there. It's been a dental office for years now.

There also used to be a Biff's [[another local burger, breakfast & coffee chain) closer to the retiree center [[in fact, part of the retiree center's parking lot is now on the site) at Jefferson and Fischer.

There are actually a whole bunch of old Clock buildings still standing around the metro area and in use as something else. There is also at least one, on Joseph Campau in Hamtramck, that was still operating under the Clock name [[but not the old Clock management) until very recently.

I'm now wondering what that restaurant on Racho Road near Southland Center that got torn down for the current Culver's was. Was it part of a chain [[which is very likely, since it had a drive-thru window)?
    Looks like it was Schlotzsky's.

At least I now know County Seat was one of the stores that operated in the former Southland Taco Bell [[the pre-food court location) before the current Charlotte Russe, thanks to that 1998 directory.
    Charlotte Russe is huge. I would bet that they actually took both the former County Seat and former Taco Bell locations, since County Seat stores were only mid-sized — larger than what a TB would use, but smaller than what Charlotte Russe uses. With that in mind, it looks like the TB space was actually vacant on the 1998 map.

The 7-11/Citgo combo store/gas station in Derborn is closed. Greenfield just north of Ford Rd. Noticed it whenpassing by Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    The 7-11/Citgo combo store/gas station in Derborn is closed. Greenfield just north of Ford Rd. Noticed it whenpassing by Saturday.
    I think you posted this in the wrong thread. But here's an update on the former Southland Hot Sam: it's former space was later Baker's Shoes as of 1998 [[before becoming Christopher & Banks) and is now Lids Detroit Locker Room as of May of this year [[C&B has since relocated to the ex-CJ Banks across the corridor).

Speaking of Southland, you can add that Taco Bell's food court location was already closed by 1998, as it's not listed on that map. In addition, for those food court restaurants already listed that were opened circa 1992, you can note that the food court itself also opened circa 1992.

Plus, you can add the relocation note I mentioned about the Wyandotte KFC and add another ex-KFC in Troy that I first told you about in an email.

EDIT: Well, I just noticed that Great American Cookies was listed and there was one in Southland as well that's also now Mrs. Field's. And you can also add the relocation note to the food court Sbarro [[also in Southland). Plus, you can add the two ex-Church's Chicken/White Castle combos already mentioned in this thread [[I mentioned one of these locations).
    Last edited by mtburb; November-10-13 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Does anyone recall Kmart briefly attempting to expand into the fast-food business with Kmart Chef?

I ran across a reference to this a few years ago in a blog:

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogsp...l#comment-form

Like its namesake store, the pilot restaurants started in the Detroit area, apparently locations in Pontiac and Mt Clemens--both buildings are still standing and are restaurants under different names.
    There was definitely a cafeteria inside the K Mart on Thirteen Mile Road between Little Mack & Harper back in the '80s but I don't recall if it had a name of any kind. That K Mart has been vacant for nearly 20 years now.

Circa 1984 there was a red-colored restaurant built out in the supermarket end of the parking lot called Po Folks. It lasted a few years before being turned into an Outback Steakhouse.

Edited to add: I see another poster has provided a more definitive answer.
    Last edited by Midnight Rambler; November-13-13 at 05:39 AM.

I'm also looking for confirmation that the St. Clair Shores Tim Hortons was once Hardee's. I know it was a Burger Chef at one point, so I'd assume it was also a Hardee's if it became a Tim Hortons.
    As I recall the Tim Horton's at 28101 Harper Ave was a Taco Bell in the late 80s & 90s.

Does anyone have a photo of the Sveden House restaurant that was located at 31230 Harper in St. Clair Shores? It relocated in 1992 and has long since been
    demolished.

There used to be a family-owned Timmons Restaurant at 2945 Harper [[near the corner of 12 Mile Road & Harper in SCS). It was demolished in the '90s and the site is now a Walgreens. I am seeking a photo of the restaurant.

In the late '80s there was a Friendly Restaurant at 29613 Harper. The bldg is now the FME Credit Union. I am seeking a photo of the restaurant.

Friendly Restaurant may have been a restaurant chain in the region.

Here's a 1980s addition for Little Ceasars...46991 Van Dyke in Shelby Twsp...it
    became a Big Boy Restaurant in the '90s/'00s...today the bldg still sits vacant & boarded up. The property must be worth more than the bldg by now.

Circa 1970s...Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor at Schoolcraft & Telegraph...there may have been other locations in the Metro Detroit area...

http://farrellsusa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    There was definitely a cafeteria inside the K Mart on Thirteen Mile Road between Little Mack & Harper back in the '80s but I don't recall if it had a name of any kind.

All of the original prototype 60s/70s Kmart stores had cafeterias. Since you referenced SCS, the 2nd store in the chain is still open at 9 Mile & Harper.

Kmart Chef was a different concept: a stand-alone building. I believe the one on Gratiot in Mt Clemens wasn't on the property of a retail store.

Circa 1970s...Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor at Schoolcraft & Telegraph...there may have been other locations in the Metro Detroit area...
    There was also a Farrell's in the Oakland Mall parking lot fronting 14 Mile Rd. The revival of the Farrell's chain in CA is relatively recent. About 5 years ago, there was a similar large scale resurrection of Bob's Big Boy--but it peaked quickly and sputtered. There are still a few BBB around, including the vintage location near Warners in Burbank.

I believe most older consumers enjoy nostalgia as a an occasional experience [[maybe even introducing their kids or grandkids), but a viable business model requires appealing to a wide-range of demographics and, most importantly, frequent repeat business.
    Last edited by Onthe405; November-13-13 at 12:21 PM.

. . .In the late '80s there was a Friendly Restaurant at 29613 Harper. The bldg is now the FME Credit Union. I am seeking a photo of the restaurant.

Friendly Restaurant may have been a restaurant chain in the region.
    Friendly's is a MA-based ice cream parlor that later branched out to include diner-style food. They made a failed attempt to expand into MI about 30 years ago. In addition to the Harper location, there was also an outlet at Lakeside [[and probably Fairlane) when it first opened in '76. Their website displays Maumee & Sandusky, OH as the nearest locations to Detroit . .

http://www.friendlys.com/

Speaking of Southland, you can add that Taco Bell's food court location was already closed by 1998, as it's not listed on that map.
    I swear it was there in 2004.

Plus, you can add the relocation note I mentioned about the Wyandotte KFC and add another ex-KFC in Troy that I first told you about in an email.
    I forget, which one was Troy again?

Plus, you can add the two ex-Church's Chicken/White Castle combos already mentioned in this thread [[I mentioned one of these locations).
    Again, which two?

I swear it was there in 2004.
    I forget, which one was Troy again?
    Again, which two?
    1. Yes, I know there was definitely one in the food court, but I thought it was already closed by 1998. Thanks for correcting me.
    2. The one that was on Livernois at Maple.
    3. The Southgate one I mentioned and the Southfield one another member mentioned. Plus, if you don't know the address of the since-torn-down White Castle that was across from MCS [[that I mentioned in this thread as well), just put in the intersection.

Eastside Al--Thank you for correcting my confabulation of The Clock and Biff's. I remember them well. Good bean soup at Biff's. It's good to be reminded that memory is imperfect as time marches on.

Plus, if you don't know the address of the since-torn-down White Castle that was across from MCS [[that I mentioned in this thread as well), just put in the intersection.

Surprisingly I found another picture that gives the exact address.

I've been working for years now on a list of every closed-up fast food place and chain restaurant in Michigan. You can view the list here: http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgott...er/former.html
    The Coffee Beanery in Berkley [[28557 Woodward) closed earlier this year.

It was briefly The Foodtruck Cafe, but that shut down rather quickly. Now, it's supposed to reopen as Firehouse Subs.

Also, the Red Barn you have listed in Royal Oak was not the Burger King. It was across the street on land that is now part of the Detroit Zoo property. I believe it used to be an antique store at one point when I was a kid. I do know that before 696 was finished in the area, it used to be the Alligator Alley arcade. That was torn down so that the Zoo could expand and build its parking deck.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    Taco Bell on Schaefer south of W. Warren, next to the Mobil gas station in Dearborn. Closed earlier this spring/summer? Recently reopened as Location Cafe, a Middle Eastern restuarant.

Rams Horn on Greenfield, Dearborn, between W. Warren and Ford Rd. closed a 1-2 years ago, but has been remodeled and reopened.
    Update:

The above mentioned closed Taco Bell that was reopened as a middle eastern restaurant a few months ago called Location Cafe appears to be closed. Windows are covered with paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Friendly's is a MA-based ice cream parlor that later branched out to include diner-style food. They made a failed attempt to expand into MI about 30 years ago. In addition to the Harper location, there was also an outlet at Lakeside [[and probably Fairlane) when it first opened in '76. Their website displays Maumee & Sandusky, OH as the nearest locations to Detroit . .

http://www.friendlys.com/
    Hello! I remember a Friendly's at the northeast corner of Lilley and Ann Arbor Rd in Plymouth. I think it was still there in the mid-90's. Now an office of some sort, last time I drove by. Other enterprises among the missing in Plymouth include Daly's drive-in at A2 and Main, and of course Silverman's south of A2 on Morton Taylor, [[I think Main becomes Morton Taylor south of A2 Road). Sorry if these were already mentioned.

The KFC on Warren just west of Wyoming, Dearborn is closed. Not sure when it closed. Had to be recently. Windows are boarded up. It had been there for many years.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast