Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

And then there was a Johnny Rockets in downtown Detroit at 2239 Woodward Ave. It closed either in 2009 or 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by TenPoundHammer View Post
    I'm also looking for confirmation that the St. Clair Shores Tim Hortons was once Hardee's. I know it was a Burger Chef at one point, so I'd assume it was also a Hardee's if it became a Tim Hortons.
    Are you talking about the one on Harper next to the car wash? I know they built that building as a Tim Horton's, but I don't remember there being a Hardees there before.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Are you talking about the one on Harper next to the car wash? I know they built that building as a Tim Horton's, but I don't remember there being a Hardees there before.
    No, it was a Hardee's at one point. i remember eating there.
    And I believe there is one Taco Bell on the Eastside, on Jefferson close to the Grosse Pointe border...unless that has closed as well.

You forgot Onasty's aka Onassis Coney. I believe Harper & Gratiot location was #1 or 2.

Top Hat not on the list. I would be curious to know those former locations. I remember one at Telegraph and Van Born in Taylor, now a Burger King

Good list:
    There was a Red Barn on Michigan Ave. near Central turned into auto sales
    Anybody remember seafood place called Hungry Penguin?

Quote Originally Posted by detdog1 View Post
    Good list:
    There was a Red Barn on Michigan Ave. near Central turned into auto sales
    Anybody remember seafood place called Hungry Penguin?
    Hungry Penguin rings a bell, but I can't remember anything about them. Was it the forerunner of Arthur Treacher's?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Hungry Penguin rings a bell, but I can't remember anything about them. Was it the forerunner of Arthur Treacher's?
    There used to be one of those on Wayne Road in Westland.

There was a Hungry Penguin on Telegraph Road, just south of Warren Ave. on the east side of the street. It was close to where the Bone Yard Restaurant currently sits, if not the same lot.

There were several Daly Drive-Ins in Detroit. Greenfield north of Joy. Plymouth at Burt. Warren at Outer Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    There were several Daly Drive-Ins in Detroit. Greenfield north of Joy. Plymouth at Burt. Warren at Outer Drive.
    There is one Daly's still open on Plymouth and Merriman in Livonia. And there use to be a Red Barn hamburger restaurant on 8 Mile and Meyers. There is a Ice House sitting on the location now.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-29-13 at 05:29 PM.

Forgive me for asking tenpoundhammer but isn't this a depressing area for research. Why this particular area of interest?

There was a Jack in Box Restaurant on Woodward near Temple St. now a vacant lot.

Another one on Michigan Ave and Outer Drive Rd now a Tubby's

Plymouth Rd. and Evergreen Rd. now a Conley Island.

Ford Rd. and Wildwood St. Became a Sliverman's Restuarant now a Arab owned Cellular Shop.

One of Van Dyke Rd and 11 Mile Rd. [[ I-696) FWY now some restaurant.

On James Couzens near outer drive there was a Top Hat. I would say it closed in the 80's. The building is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    On James Couzens near outer drive there was a Top Hat. I would say it closed in the 80's. The building is still there.
    I don't recall a Top Hat at James Couzens/Outer Drive, but there was definitely one at James Couzens and Puritan. That building is still there too.

A couple people mentioned the Red Barn. They used to be all over town. My brother and I used to stop at the one on Woodward across the street from the Highland Park Y after long sessions of swimming and basketball. We'd spend our bus fare and whatever loose change we had on us at the RB and walk home instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I don't recall a Top Hat at James Couzens/Outer Drive, but there was definitely one at James Couzens and Puritan. That building is still there too.

A couple people mentioned the Red Barn. They used to be all over town. My brother and I used to stop at the one on Woodward across the street from the Highland Park Y after long sessions of swimming and basketball. We'd spend our bus fare and whatever loose change we had on us at the RB and walk home instead.
    You are absolutely right, I went by there today. That former Top Hat is on Puritian, right near James Couzens and Mendota. The building is painted a pale grey and looks empty.

There was a fast food place called WUVS Burgers on Telegraph a while back....perhaps the 80's? 90's? I don't know if it counts or if there were others of that name.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

Actually the old Top Hat slider place. Was at James Couzens FWY and Puritan.

In his autobiography Otis Williams wrote that Eddie Kendricks owned a restaurant in Detroit. It was called "Three Little Pigs", does anyone know where this restaurant was located?

Well, I just found another ironic conversion, even though this one's not even in Michigan, but not too far south of the border [[but far enough to be considered a world where no one even wants to hear Ann Arbor mentioned). This Toledo Church's Chicken was originally a KFC, judging by the architecture: http://goo.gl/maps/Zv9xL
    Last edited by mtburb; October-12-13 at 08:49 PM.

Penn Station East Coast Subs has opened earlier this year in the strip mall that replaced the Taylor Mountain Jack's, leaving just one yet-to-be-filled spot left in it. Before it was demolished for the strip mall, however, the Mountain Jack's had already been vacant for a few years.

I just noticed that you did not list the following:

Church's Chicken; Detroit; 1554-56 Woodward Avenue; opened circa 1976 in building that was built in the late 1950's; eventually closed; building collapsed 2008

The Taylor Rio Bravo has just reopened as a Panera Bread.

The former Taco Bell at 1297 Fort Street opened in 1977. Source: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18788...-Wyandotte-MI/

Another omission:

The Big Boy at Belleville Road and I-94 has closed as of October.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast