Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

The former Subway at 3391 Fort Street has a new tenant yet again.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...4740177883.txt

A correction and an update:

-The A&W at Dix and Moran is still open, but the station it's inside now has a new brand that I can't recall.
    -The Wendy's at the northeast corner of Dix and Southfield opened this past Monday [[12/8), replacing another Wendy's a couple blocks up Southfield in Allen Park in front of the still-vacant Farmer Jack.

The former Taco Bell at 1297 Fort Street opened in 1977. Source: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18788...-Wyandotte-MI/

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    The former Subway at 3391 Fort Street has a new tenant yet again.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...4740177883.txt

What an improvement. I can't stand the sweet chemical smell of the bread they bake at Subways. Fast food that makes me want to fast.

April 2015 Update:

• The old Ponderosa in Wyandotte has just reopened as the Camino Real Mexican Grill.
    • The Biggby Coffee in Studio One in Midtown closed a while ago.
    • It looks like Chimney Cake Cafe in Southland Center closed, according to a recent photo.
    • Pizza Papalis will be opening in the old Fuddrucker's in Taylor.

New thing to add.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...f854482196.txt
    Despite signs on the doors saying “closed for renovations,” the Big Apple Bagels location in Allen Park will not be reopening for business, according to the bagel chain’s corporate office.

“The franchisee’s franchise agreement expired and the franchisee opted to close the store rather than renew the franchise agreement,” said Rosanne Angell, director of franchise administration for Big Apple Bagels, in an email. “We do not know who owns the property or what is being done with it but we can tell you that it will not be a Big Apple Bagels.”

The franchise, located in the 14500 block of Southfield Road, has had a sign posted outside the business claiming it will be closed for renovations since early December. However, the agreement with former franchise owner Robbins & Griffin Investments, LLC, expired on Dec. 21, Angell said.

Calls from The News-Herald to the former franchise owner have not been returned.

McDonald's announced that they will be closing 700 "poorly performing" stores across the country.

I'm pretty sure there will be several in the Detroit area...

Another omission:

The Big Boy at Belleville Road and I-94 has closed as of October.

There was also a Top Hat in the Grand River--Inkster Rd. area on the West Side. I loved those small, cheap [[White Castle-type) burgers. I think that they were 12 cents each when I was a kid. In high school, after a date, we'd [[sort of) brag that we'd taken our girl to the "Top of the Hat" [[a reference to the "Top of the Flame" high-end restaurant at One Woodward Avenue on the upper floor of the Michigan Consolidated Gas Building in Downtown Detroit). It was great growing up in Motown in the 1960s -- especially 1968 when the Tigers ruled!!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    McDonald's announced that they will be closing 700 "poorly performing" stores across the country.

company owned or franchisor owned? Hmm..

Just happened to notice today that the Dunkin Donuts in the gas station [[which was formerly Future Fuels and has now gone unbranded) at Fort Street and Van Horn had closed. Must've been sometime within the past year.

EDIT: Also noticed today that the old Riverview McDonald's is now Metro Shores Internal Medicine.
    Last edited by mtburb; May-08-15 at 01:58 PM.

The McDonalds on Grosebeck and 9 Mile has been closed and demolished within the past year.

Noticed a couple things today.

The old Burger Chef in Woodhaven is now Massage Envy Spa and the Big Apple Bagels a short distance away on West Road has become Firehouse Subs.

The Mikey D's on Woodward and Seven closed in a hurry last fall. I thought maybe it was gonna be a tear-down for a new one but it sat empty. Then there looked like some activity going on inside.

Now there's some 'tacky' looking signage painting doo-dad stuff on the angled roof. Could not make out the words but painting any words on a slanted roof? Looked more like cousin Jeff and the paint bucket at it again. Which has its place: like car wash business signage!

Maybe it will become a coney island. We almost have a shortage of them on Woodward with the one on Woodward near the HPark border closed for a few years and one by Woodward and Euclid burnt out and stripped needing to be torn down.

I would have thought a more upscale, albeit 'fast food' franchise would have taken the Woodward and Seven building but who knows. It is very expensive to start up and run any kind of restaurant.

Last edited by Zacha341; May-10-15 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The Mikey D's on Woodward and Seven closed in a hurry last fall. I thought maybe it was gonna be a tear-down for a new one but it sat empty. Then there looked like some activity going on inside.

Now there's some 'tacky' looking signage painting doo-dad stuff on the angled roof. Could not make out the words but painting any words on a slanted roof? Looked more like cousin Jeff and the paint bucket at it again. Which has its place: like car wash business signage!

Maybe it will become a coney island. We almost have a shortage of them on Woodward with the one on Woodward near the HPark border closed for a few years and one by Woodward and Euclid burnt out and stripped needing to be torn down.

I would have thought a more upscale, albeit 'fast food' franchise would have taken the Woodward and Seven building but who knows. It is very expensive to start up and run any kind of restaurant.
    I believe the 7 Mile and Woodward McDonalds was shut down for the McDonalds that opened at Gateway Plaza...

^^^ Yep. That's right. Sounds like a strategic move. It was an older store too, all of which are being redone for the new slimmer modern foot-print style.

There's a old Mickey Dees converted to this horrid, multi-business unit in Warren on 12 and Mound I think that is really a site! Huge garish signage on most of the huge blacked out glass panels, so as to make it like partitioned office space. Scary!

It was formally one of those old McDonalds that had the kids play-scape.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Yep. That's right. Sounds like a strategic move. It was an older store too, all of which are being redone for the new slimmer modern foot-print style.

There's a old Mickey Dees converted to this horrid, multi-business unit in Warren on 12 and Mound I think that is really a site! Huge garish signage on most of the huge blacked out glass panels, so as to make it like partitioned office space. Scary!

It was formally one of those old McDonalds that had the kids play-scape.
    Speaking of which...I passed a McDonald's in Trenton at West and Grange today [[just east of the Woodhaven restaurant conversions I mentioned in the post above dated 1:56 PM) that has been remodeled into the current style, but kept the kid's play area.

Right next door to that is a Boston Market [[this adjacency may be a holdover from when McDonald's owned Boston Market).
    Last edited by mtburb; May-10-15 at 08:04 PM.

I can confirm that both Chimney Cake Cafe and the new Taco Bell at Southland Center are officially gone-in fact, every store along the west court starting at Charlotte Russee and continuing into the corridor right up to the future theater site is gone, all taken out to become a large H&M.

Not only that, but the Dairy Queen/Orange Julius kiosk in the east court has been removed.
    Last edited by mtburb; May-21-15 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Fire Mountain; Taylor; unknown address [[northeast corner of Eureka Road and Huron Street); closed 201x, vacant
    It's going to become a Golden Corral.
    http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...6183762505.txt

And the site hasn't been updated since April 1st, it seems. A lot of things posted since then aren't on there yet.

My apologies for not catching up sooner. I thought this thread had gone dead in December and didn't pay attention to it afterward. I believe I have caught up with everything posted here since. Keep me informed!

Good to see you back. The Subway in the future Southland theater wing closed sometime between May 20 and June 2015.

A couple of updates:

1. The Burger King at 17440 East Warren Avenue in Detroit has been remodeled and reopened [[and is no longer shuttered). It is currently listed on BK's website as an active location.

2. The shuttered and demolished Taco Bell at 16511 Harper Avenue in Detroit is now a Checkers, which has been an active locations since at least early 2015.

3. Tubby's Subs at 21425 Schoenherr in Warren, MI closed in 2014 and is now home to a mom & pop restaurant [[A & A Diner).

4. The Burger King at 25058 Schoenherr in Warren, MI closed in 2014 and is currently vacant.

5. The Old Country Buffet at 29180 Van Dyke Avenue in Warren, MI [[inside Tech Plaza) closed in April 2014 and is currently vacant.

A couple of updates:

1. The Burger King at 17440 East Warren Avenue in Detroit has been remodeled and reopened [[and is no longer shuttered). It is currently listed on BK's website as an active location.

2. The shuttered and demolished Taco Bell at 16511 Harper Avenue in Detroit is now a Checkers, which has been an active locations since at least early 2015.

3. Tubby's Subs at 21425 Schoenherr in Warren, MI closed in 2014 and is now home to a mom & pop restaurant [[A & A Diner).

4. The Burger King at 25058 Schoenherr in Warren, MI closed in 2014 and is currently vacant.

5. The Old Country Buffet at 29180 Van Dyke Avenue in Warren, MI [[inside Tech Plaza) closed in April 2014 and is currently vacant.
    hmm.. I wonder if there will be any new restaurants to be opened in that plaza. Wal-Mart owns the property, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hmm.. I wonder if there will be any new restaurants to be opened in that plaza. Wal-Mart owns the property, yes?
    That's correct.

I don't know what plans Walmart has for Tech Plaza...

I'm told the Popeye's on Woodward[[&Milwaukee?)is closed.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast