Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    That Great Guy Guest

I'm in favor of a property tax increase to pay fast food workers higher wages. I think it is only fare to pay them this because no fast food place can support themselves without taxpayer help and pay a good wage. The present tax breaks are not enough.

This will help out those who are struggling and give the property owners a strong sense of compassion, peace, harmony and support for the brotherhood of man.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; September-25-14 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    I'm in favor of a property tax increase to pay fast food workers higher wages. I think it is only fare to pay them this because no fast food place can support themselves without taxpayer help and pay a good wage. The present tax breaks are not enough.

This will help out those who are struggling and give the property owners a strong sense of compassion, peace, harmony and support for the brotherhood of man.
    You're already transferring a great deal of your taxes to help support fast food workers. McDonalds tells its workers how to apply for food stamps, welfare, and medicade. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...re-queens.html

It is about time that these corporations either pay their employees a fair wage or go under. We as tax payers should not be supporting their profit margins and stockholders.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-25-14 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    You're already transferring a great deal of your taxes to help support fast food workers. McDonalds tells its workers how to apply for food stamps, welfare, and medicade. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...re-queens.html

It is about time that these corporations either pay their employees a fair wage or go under. We as tax payers should not be supporting their profit margins and stockholders.
    Ridiculasly low minimum wages are already a huge burden on taxpayers in the form of entitlements. Just another example of the success that the upper class has had in getting the middle class to fight their battles for them. The wealthy take care of the children in poverty, elderly or disabled, unless you convince a bunch of middle class folks to think that 300 a week is a reasonable income, then both upper and middle will cover a shit load of entitlements. But only one class has the real opportunity to exploit the low wage class and make a shit load of money to pay those taxes. The middle class is the uppers bitch.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; September-25-14 at 10:02 PM.

thoro Guest

The Wendy's in Ham town closed a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by thoro View Post
    The Wendy's in Ham town closed a while back.
    Already listed.

The McDonalds on West Grand Blvd near the Lodge down the street from the Fisher Bld closed about three weeks ago and was torn down very fast and now it looks like another one is going up in its place. The original building was very old and worn. Probably one of the oldest ones left. The McDonalds at Woodward and Seven remains vacant from closing a few months ago.

I am looking for official confirmation that the building currently housing Chicken Coop and Cream Barber & Shop at Eureka Road and 5th Street in Wyandotte was built as a Church's Chicken, because the building looks very similar to many Church's locations.

Here's a new entry:

Burger King; Detroit; 130 East Congress in the Greyhound bus terminal building, opened 1970's?, closed 1980's?, entire building torn down ca. 1990 for One Detroit Center parking garages.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The McDonalds on West Grand Blvd near the Lodge down the street from the Fisher Bld closed about three weeks ago and was torn down very fast and now it looks like another one is going up in its place. The original building was very old and worn. Probably one of the oldest ones left. The McDonalds at Woodward and Seven remains vacant from closing a few months ago.
    Wow, interesting, I guess at least the Blvd./Lodge location will reopen. I wonder who owns that outlet? I didn't know about 7 mile/woodward either.

I was at the McDonald's on Woodward and Seven Mile fairly late at night this past Spring.

Even at that point, it seemed to had fallen apart, as the drive-thru speaker wasn't even working and you had to place your order at the pick-up window...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I was at the McDonald's on Woodward and Seven Mile fairly late at night this past Spring.

Even at that point, it seemed to had fallen apart, as the drive-thru speaker wasn't even working and you had to place your order at the pick-up window...
    The McDonalds at 7 Mile and Woodward closed when the new one in the Meijers Shopping Center on 8 Mile and Woodward opened.

My spouse told me about a real cool chicken place owned by Wendy's. There was one on 8 mile near Graitot, it was called Sisters Chicken or somethinglike that

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    My spouse told me about a real cool chicken place owned by Wendy's. There was one on 8 mile near Graitot, it was called Sisters Chicken or somethinglike that
    There was another Sister's Chicken at Eureka and Fort in Southgate-the exact same building where KFC is now-KFC moved into that building from the Wyandotte side of Fort Street in 1988.

Here's an approximation of what it looked like.

And here's the description of that photo:
    An approximation of the new Sisters' Chicken & Biscuits restaurant which sat across from A&W on Eureka Road. It served short two terms as Sisters' after an ill-fated [[and also short) run as Zendl's Chicken & Ribs. Overhauled in the late 1980s, it now houses Kentucky Fried Chicken, which moved from Fort Street.
    Last edited by mtburb; October-14-14 at 02:53 PM.

The Panera Bread in the outlot of the Southgate Shopping Center has closed.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I can think of a couple other Sister's locations: NW corner of Michigan Ave. and Venoy Road in Wayne, now a Taco Bell. Also, 8275 N. Wayne Road in Westland; this one has seen several restaurants come and go; not sure what's in there now if anything.

http://goo.gl/maps/mT1Nf

http://goo.gl/maps/2XL7m

Is Papa Romano's large enough to qualify for the site? If so, add this in Trenton.

The doors are permanently closed for Papa Romano’s at 2208 West Road.

The owner of the pizza parloe decided to close prior to being issued a distraint warrant Oct. 30.

A distraint warrant is a document that indicates the amount of overdue taxes, the due date and instructions prohibiting the destruction of any property within the business. Removal of personal property inside the business also is prohibited.

City Treasurer Michael McCullough said when he found out that the business closed, he immediately issued the warrant on the premises. He said it notifies the landlord and tenant that personal property cannot be removed until the overdue taxes are paid.

McCullough said the owner owes $2,951 in property taxes, with $699 in penalty fees. In addition, he said he believes the owner also is behind on rent.

“We are not looking to put out businesses with these warrants,” McCullough said. “We just want a viable presence within the community.”

He said he has been in contact with the landlord and owner, who are seeking other potential tenants for the property.

The distraint warrant says the owner has 10 days from the date it was issued to pay the taxes or else the city is able to secure the property and look for a company to auction it off.

The doors are permanently closed for Papa Romano’s at 2208 West Road.

The owner of the pizza place decided to close prior to being issued a distraint warrant on Oct. 30.
    A distraint warrant is a document that indicates the amount of overdue taxes, the due date and instructions prohibiting the destruction of any property within the business. Removal of personal property inside the business is also prohibited.

City Treasurer, Michael McCullough said when he found out that the business closed, he immediately issued the warrant on the premises. He said it notifies the landlord and tenant that personal property cannot be removed until the overdue taxes are paid.

McCullough said the owner owes $2,951 in property taxes with $699 in penalty fees. In addition, he said he believes the owner is also behind on his rent.

“We are not looking to put out businesses with these warrants,” he said. “We just want a viable presence within the community.”

He said he has been in contact with the landlord and owner who are seeking other potential tenants of the property.

The distraint warrant says that the owner has 10 days from the date it was issued to pay the taxes or else the city is able to secure the property and look for a company to auction it off.

And finally, the Pizza Hut Express that was co-branded with the Taco Bell on Fort Street north of Northline in Southgate is no more. Went up there tonight and it was now just Taco Bell.

Here's the article about the Panera I mentioned.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...e046714901.txt
    Downriver’s newest Panera Bread opened its doors in Taylor on Saturday, but not before closing in Southgate.

The Southgate location, 13665 Eureka Road, closed Nov. 2, but the closure is really more of a move, according to a Panera Bread manager.

Bob Farmer, manager of the Taylor location, said all of the employees have been brought over from Southgate. In addition, 20 to 30 new employees have been hired.

The Taylor location is at 23301 Eureka Road, just 3 ½ miles west of the previous Panera.
    Farmer said the ability to have a drive-thru in Taylor did factor into the company’s decision to move.

It’s currently unclear what will occur with the former Southgate location’s space, which is neighbor to a Buffalo Wild Wings. Despite rumors, Buffalo Wild Wings spokeswoman Alyssa Groth said the company does not plan to expand its Southgate location.

To reach Panera Bread in Taylor, call 734-258-1510 or visit panerabread.com.
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    And finally, the Pizza Hut Express that was co-branded with the Taco Bell on Fort Street north of Northline in Southgate is no more. Went up there tonight and it was now just Taco Bell.
    Add the Pizza Hut Express locations at the Taco Bells at Telegraph & Eureka in Taylor and Telegraph in Dearborn Heights to the list as well.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-11-14 at 04:53 PM.

There are those that think that this thread was pointless from the beginning, but look at the involvement it has sparked! Growing up in Detroit, I saw personally how certain chains wanted to distance themselves from Detroit. I was rather young, in the early '80s, growing up around six mile and Evergreen, when the 7-11 on McNichols [[Six Mile) between Evergreen and Outer Drive pulled out [[along with all others in the area). It was replaced by an In-n'-out party store that kept having suspicious fires. I really didn't get to enjoy the experience of having the local Slurpee on a hot summer's day...Oh, well. I guess there's a 7-11 on Telegraph towards Joy Rd., but I can't tell if that's a part of Dearborn Heights or Redford. Also, I remember Rally's was a big chain in the '90s [[did they have the "Cha-ching" Guy that looked like Seth Green ?), until folks spread a rumor they were a KKK creation [[like Mount Rushmore), then, they became Checkers.

In 1996 and 1997, there was a McDonald's inside the Meijer store in Taylor. [[source)

I have no idea where it was in the store, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    In 1996 and 1997, there was a McDonald's inside the Meijer store in Taylor. [[source)

I have no idea where it was in the store, though.
    This jogged a memory. There was a mini McDonald's in the Meijer on Carpenter Road in Ypsilanti. It was on the second floor with a limited menu. The grills were double-sided like a panini press.

Cottage Inn Pizza 7840 Wyoming, Dearborn just south of Tireman closed [[2-3 months ago?) has reopened as 7 Star Pizza.

Does anyone here remember the former kid's fun center chain called Discovery Zone? There was one for a couple years in the Southgate Shopping Center as the first tenant to occupy the space vacated by Woolworth after it shut down in 1997. It became a Sears Hardware soon after and is now a Planet Fitness.

I remember Discovery Zone. They had one here in Westland. They closed and a gym opened up in its place. Then the gym closed and the former Discovery Zone space was separated, and part became a Dollar Tree and the other is currently vacant. Even after Discovery Zone closed, the small kid-sized door remained, which is kind of funny. Other closed kids fun centres include Caesarland in Westland and Kid Kingdom in Canton.

The former Riverview Wendy's has been sold today to Tubby's.
    http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...c713721126.txt
    A former Riverview Wendy’s is slated to become a Tubby’s Sub Shop.

The 18520 Fort St. location was reported sold on Dec. 4.

Groesbeck Building Partners LLC bought the location from Kelemen Properties LLC.

Tubby’s, a Roseville-based company founded in 1968, announced in August that it plans to expand the business by acquiring new franchisees and renovating their current locations.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast