Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Who Has The Lowest Insurance Rates For Downtown?

I'm shopping around for insurance because my rates have doubled over the last two years [[with State Farm). AAA has always had competetive rates when I have previously received quotes from them, but they have doubled over the last two years as well.

Allstate just gave me a quote that was twice as much as State Farm and AAA. If anybody has found decent rates for downtown [[48226) please give me a heads up.

Thanks!

You will find that geography is only one factor. Other factors include age, points, claim history, and credit score are factored in.

Because of this the best advice is to shop around and look for other ways of getting discounts. For example, if you increase your deducible by $250, sometimes you can get more than $250 in savings over the year. The only caveat I have is that you better have that extra $250 in your checking account. Also look for other discounts. Many insurance companies will give you a discount if you are a college grad, belong to a professional organization, or combine your policies [[for example home-owners, renters, with your auto).

In addition look to have your PIP coordinated if you have good health insurance at work.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I'm shopping around for insurance because my rates have doubled over the last two years [[with State Farm). AAA has always had competetive rates when I have previously received quotes from them, but they have doubled over the last two years as well.

Allstate just gave me a quote that was twice as much as State Farm and AAA. If anybody has found decent rates for downtown [[48226) please give me a heads up.

Thanks!
    May be something you can use in here.....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...nsurance+rates

I have been living in Detroit for 15 years and used my Parents house in Roseville for all that time for Auto Insurance. My Wife who's Family has had Homes in the University District also uses an address in Brighton. we all do this to keep auto insurance low. Time to fix things!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    I have been living in Detroit for 15 years and used my Parents house in Roseville for all that time for Auto Insurance. My Wife who's Family has had Homes in the University District also uses an address in Brighton. we all do this to keep auto insurance low. Time to fix things!
    Have you ever had to file a claim? What happens when they realize you don't live where you say? Sounds like they could deny you based on insurance fraud.

I thinbk all automobile insurance rates went way up last year. I called a lot of brokers and only one offered me anything less than AAA was asking.

I live in 48226 and I have Geico

Chinman is right. Find a relative in a burb that will add you to their policy.

On a different thread, I mentioned our parked car got hit by a drunk driver along with 6 other cars in the middle of the night. We got a check on the spot from the adjuster,which surprised us. Idiot made the check out to the dude who hit us. Impressively stupid.

Now we are waiting for our check in the mail. Of course, on a different thread all together, we talked about our mail lady from hell. She delivers once or twice a week. Important documents sometimes don't get delivered. Sigh. Curious when we will get our check since we should have seen it Tuesday.

I will say Geiko seemed proactive but no clue as to rates.

Good luck!

So your drivers license does not match your insurance providers records?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    So your drivers license does not match your insurance providers records?
    I'm not living in Detroit but close to it. I work in Detroit though. The best rate I could find [[and I shopped!) was Farm Bureau. 313-884-4141 on Mack Ave in Grosse Pointe Woods. Ask for Scott.

My license does match my insurance. Never said I have a Detroit Address. Just have lived in the 'D' for 15 years. I have a business in the 'D' that is also a residence.

My license does match my insurance. Never said I have a Detroit Address. Just have lived in the 'D' for 15 years. I have a business in the 'D' that is also a residence.
    So you don't vote or pay you fair share of taxes. Nice,

Detroit and other troubled cities not only are punished with exorbitant insurance rates, they pay another fee -- loss of population and with that revenue sharing, representation and more.

To avoid the exorbitant rates drivers maintain their driver's license and voting cards at parents and friends addresses outside those high rate areas. I'd bet many of those avoid city taxes too.

IMO the entire metropolitan area should be put in a single rate category. No more red lines. Detroit's population would climb by several thousand over night.

Yeah, shame on anyone that moves here and doesn't change their address.

You're either in or your not.

Again, shame!

I own a Co-Op so I do not personally pay city taxes. I am a Contractor so that if my Employer has a base in Detroit...Taxes are taken out. I did not and will not say that I do not pay city taxes. I said that I don't pay Insurance Rates based on Living in the 'D'! those are two [[2) different things.

please don't try the SHAME game! I support this City in many ways that you could only imagine. Paying a lower insurance rate does not help the 'D'. it never will.

please don't try the SHAME game! I support this City in many ways that you could only imagine. Paying a lower insurance rate does not help the 'D'. it never will.
    We don't have to be friends.

I just say shame on people like you and your ilk. Lowell nailed it.

And are you arguing that you're not a tax-dodger because you pay taxes if your employer has a base in Detroit? Because that's only half of the income tax equation; where you lay your head at night is the other half.

So I stand by it. You're a minor scumbag if you live here but don't "officially" live here. Just because someone in that situation pays some city taxes and fees doesn't mean they pay all city taxes and fees; additionally, it means they can't vote here either.

The only shame is the insurance rates! I started working in the insurance industry back in 1973, and they were redlining then too. In 1990, the company I had been with pulled all the HO insurance policies, would not write in Detroit.
    Since then I've been with several different companies, my deductble on auto is 1000 and 2500 on HO and my rates are still way too high.

Yeah, mine are high, too. But I suck it up because I don't believe in fraud and I also believe in pulling my weight.

So shame on you, too. But like I said to the other poster, we don't have to be friends. And beyond that, I've probably done some things that are shameful to you.

My buddy owns a rental in Inkster, and that's how he keeps his rates down.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    My buddy owns a rental in Inkster, and that's how he keeps his rates down.
    Inkster? really?

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Yeah, mine are high, too. But I suck it up because I don't believe in fraud and I also believe in pulling my weight.
    Unfortunately, I reckon that the insurance companies leaving rates at unacceptable levels in Detroit don't agree with your values.

...on that note, am I the only one that paid Detroit city taxes, voted in local elections, and still had my car insured outside the city?

why do you have to move into the realm of Name-Calling [[as in scumbag). Your post is both pompous and mean. Your self-righteousness does nothing to move the debate into the issue that insurance rates are high in the city. Please move beyond name calling and offer up a solution.

mr. or miss Eber. don't know which and that is my fault, every person who works in the city of Detroit pays a city tax through their payroll. 3% if you live in the city, 1.5% if you don't. Please go ask all the nurses who live in Canada if they are Happy supporting the City through that deduction. My Wife lives in Grosse Pointe Park but Works in the City. To Say that her taxes don't pay for things is silly. Residence does not equal rights. I have never had children but still pay tax to support schools.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast