Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by C_S_14 View Post
    No, they don't. They're either affiliated with the university in some way, the type to take offense to anyone saying anything bad about Detroit, or simply pull the faithful race card. It's criminal what this university is getting away with and you need your head examined if you think it's O.K.
    ....did you get fired from WSU? not admitted to grad school there? Went to grad school there and didn't get the job you wanted afterwards? did the dean run over your dog?

I don't particularly think Eastern's 26% or Centrals 31% or MSU's 50% is anything to crow about either. In fact, I would think that anything less than 75% should be cause for discussion.

WSU is having that discussion and making adjustments. What is your problem with them? not enough? too little too late?

I wonder where the people who prefer facts and realty over hyperbole and lies fit into Robert's little diatribe?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    You folks who are defending WSU on this have a point, but so does CS14 despite the "trollishness" you may perceive. I think you have to admit it.

Most universities are fighting for students these days. Some do let in unprepared students not just because of an "urban mission", but because they need the money to balance the budget. This is a high-stakes game for the U. I've read of admissions deans being let go because the college's yield estimate was too high this year. They thought say, 40% of the admitted students would enroll but only 35% did which results in a big budget problem.

Don't blindly dismiss this at WSU, it's a problem for all less selective colleges.
    But nothing you posted is Robert's point. So no, he doesn't have a point.

I have a question regarding financial aid. Now I've heard for awhile that this is one of the major causes for the tuition rise.

When a student receives aid, is the school reimbursed for the full amount? If so, how does that in turn cause tuition rates to rise?

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    I have a question regarding financial aid. Now I've heard for awhile that this is one of the major causes for the tuition rise.

When a student receives aid, is the school reimbursed for the full amount? If so, how does that in turn cause tuition rates to rise?
    Ponzi scheme.

As the schools know the government's going to cover a student's tuition [[who can print money freely), the rules of supply and demand don't apply to their prices. If they raise the prices, the government will simply offer more money to cover the rise in prices.

Colleges used to be proud of lower graduation rates. It showed how "tough" they were. When I began, during a "warmup" for the incoming class, the speaker said, "Look at the individual to the right of you and look at the individual to the left of you. Only one of the three of you will graduate four years from now."

C_S_14 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Colleges used to be proud of lower graduation rates. It showed how "tough" they were. When I began, during a "warmup" for the incoming class, the speaker said, "Look at the individual to the right of you and look at the individual to the left of you. Only one of the three of you will graduate four years from now."
    Maybe that was before they let illiterate kids take out $20,000 a year in student loans to take university course work they're not prepared for. Or maybe those 66% who didn't make it had jobs they could still qualify for. A low graduation rate in 2013 is nothing to be proud of; it means the school is stealing from a bunch of kids that shouldn't have been let in in the first place. The consequences of this are devastating. Wayne's conduct is unethical and borderline criminal.
    Last edited by C_S_14; September-26-13 at 07:49 PM.

"...because I said so!"

Am I the only one who sees the irony of a poster crying about WSU admitting "illiterate students" while presenting an argument that wouldn't earn a passing grade in an intro level course's first research assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ....did you get fired from WSU? not admitted to grad school there? Went to grad school there and didn't get the job you wanted afterwards? did the dean run over your dog?

I don't particularly think Eastern's 26% or Centrals 31% or MSU's 50% is anything to crow about either. In fact, I would think that anything less than 75% should be cause for discussion.

WSU is having that discussion and making adjustments. What is your problem with them? not enough? too little too late?
    Exactly what I've been thinking. WSU is still one of the lowest [[if not the lowest) tuition rates of a 4-year institution in the state. It's actually comical to read the same things repeated over and over and over as to how WSU is financially raping supposedly retarded students. Given the disdain and name-calling of the students themselves, I put my money on Ms. C_S_14 48009 He-She Grumpy Face being a former student that believed his/her/its classmates were beneath him/her/it. If he/she/it was truly defending the student and disgusted by them being taken advantage of, then I doubt all the insulting descriptions would be used.

Well he/she/it obviously didn't graduate from a world class institution... they teach you how to think.... not what to think....

I think one of the most embarrassing aspects of Detroit is how we fight on threads like this. And of course how easy we are to take the bait.

the school needs better accommodation for adult, working students. Folks can 'tread water' for years taking the handful of evening/Saturday courses available each semester and not make much headway in their major.

The 1 in 13 stat was referenced because it is the saddest, not because I was yearning to drop a black stat [[perhaps you're fixated on race, I am not).
    I'm the one fixated on race, yep, definitely not 48009 or any of she-he's ilk. Definitely not nope.

Also Det_ard, I know that CS_14 has a valid point, but the issue is approach here. Offering absolutely no solutions beyond "DON'T DO IT ITS BAD" and basically arguing to death with anyone who says that this problem might be deeper than "WAYNE STATE IS FULL OF SHITTY STEALER JERKS". Seriously, we haven't said that C_S_14 is wrong, I personally just think their approach to the subject is anti-productive and smells heavily of the hyperbole politicians use to scare people into caring. That isn't productive, reasonable, level-headed discussion is productive.

C_S_14 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I'm the one fixated on race, yep, definitely not 48009 or any of she-he's ilk. Definitely not nope.

Also Det_ard, I know that CS_14 has a valid point, but the issue is approach here. Offering absolutely no solutions beyond "DON'T DO IT ITS BAD" and basically arguing to death with anyone who says that this problem might be deeper than "WAYNE STATE IS FULL OF SHITTY STEALER JERKS". Seriously, we haven't said that C_S_14 is wrong, I personally just think their approach to the subject is anti-productive and smells heavily of the hyperbole politicians use to scare people into caring. That isn't productive, reasonable, level-headed discussion is productive.
    The solution is simple: [[i) reject about 50% of the applicants, [[ii) stop robbing your desperate undergrad students with 8.9% tuition increases to pay for your graduate level projects

Will either of those be done? Hell no! Why? Because they're unethical pigs and they don't give a shit how many lives they ruin, or how diluted a diploma from WSU is. They know the average student at WSU is an easy mark, with no voice and few options and they lure them in by the thousands and rape them financially.

I have zero former or current affiliation with this university, FYI. All of you should be as outraged as I am.
    Last edited by C_S_14; September-27-13 at 01:41 PM.

The solution is simple: [[i) reject about 50% of the applicants, [[ii) stop robbing your desperate undergrad students with 8.9% tuition increases to pay for your graduate level projects

Will either of those be done? Hell no! Why? Because they're unethical pigs and they don't give a shit how many lives they ruin, or how diluted a diploma from WSU is. They know the average student at WSU is an easy mark, with no voice and few options and they lure them in by the thousands and rape them financially.

I have zero former or current affiliation with this university, FYI. All of you should be as outraged as I am.
    1) what university[[ies) are you affiliated with/graduate of?

2) WSU is a State school. Its not overseen or controlled by Detroit officials. it's board is elected through state wide vote and the president of WSU serves at the pleasure of the Board. If WSU is an indication of any dysfunction, it's the STATE and it's populace that is dysfunctional.

Screaming about how WSU is a disgrace to Detroit is like saying GM is a disgrace to Detroit for going bankrupt. It's nonsense.

3) I don't think I could maintain your level of outrage over anything. ever.

Let me say that Wayne State University is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I was from a working class family where no one ever went to college. I had zero money for college. I came from a single parent home. I worked my ass off in both school and late hours at shitty jobs [[which literally involved cleaning up shit) and got a degree. During my time at Wayne I had professors who helped and mentored me. It was the first time, though grants, that I got to go overseas. My friends went out and partied and I didn't. It got me a good job and my education has served me well. This was about a decade ago.

I'm not trying to be Horatio Alger here. That is just what happened.

You make Wayne State sound like a Japanese internment camp. I've never seen anything to lead me to believe that WSU actively recruits or markets to those who are ill-equipped for university.

If you're functionally illiterate and applying to a state university, my questions are:
    why are you illiterate still? I can direct you to people who can help you with that for free, if you are willing to work at it.
    who told you to apply to and attend a state university?

Nobody is going to wipe you ass for you. It's a dog-eat-dog world and if there is one thing I can't stand it is whiners. Learn to read. Work hard. Find someone who will help you. Nobody is going to chart your course for you.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Let me say that Wayne State University is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I was from a working class family where no one ever went to college. I had zero money for college. I came from a single parent home. I worked my ass off in both school and late hours at shitty jobs [[which literally involved cleaning up shit) and got a degree. During my time at Wayne I had professors who helped and mentored me. It was the first time, though grants, that I got to go overseas. My friends went out and partied and I didn't. It got me a good job and my education has served me well. This was about a decade ago.

I'm not trying to be Horatio Alger here. That is just what happened.

You make Wayne State sound like a Japanese internment camp. I've never seen anything to lead me to believe that WSU actively recruits or markets to those who are ill-equipped for university.

If you're functionally illiterate and applying to a state university, my questions are:
    why are you illiterate still? I can direct you to people who can help you with that for free, if you are willing to work at it.
    who told you to apply to and attend a state university?

Nobody is going to wipe you ass for you. It's a dog-eat-dog world and if there is one thing I can't stand it is whiners. Learn to read. Work hard. Find someone who will help you. Nobody is going to chart your course for you.
    Me too and hear hear!

Oh except for that part about $h!t. I just had to clean up patient barf off of food trays in a hospital. Both my parents never finished college so they were not exactly pushing their kids to go. They were terrified at the cost. I ended up being able to pay for all of it, except for $1,000 in a merit scholar award. Yeah it was 25 years ago and much cheaper, but I was able to do it. Yeah it took more than 5 years to finish [[mostly due to changing majors and getting concurrent degrees in geography and urban studies) but I did it.

For inner-city kids this place is a God-send. I know I sure as heck would have never fit in at U of M and would have dropped out due to cost. If you're lazy you probably should not be there to begin with and fiscally stupid to even try.

The 8.9% tuition hike was instituted at the cost of TAXPAYER funding. Should taxpayers float the bill or students who actually attend? This sounds like a Tea Party dream.

The new President clearly said there wouldn't be more large tuition increases like this.

The last President, who oversaw the tuition increase, donated his entire tenure as President's salary back to the University, essentially having worked for free. What a thief!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Me too and hear hear!

Oh except for that part about $h!t. I just had to clean up patient barf off of food trays in a hospital. Both my parents never finished college so they were not exactly pushing their kids to go. They were terrified at the cost. I ended up being able to pay for all of it, except for $1,000 in a merit scholar award. Yeah it was 25 years ago and much cheaper, but I was able to do it. Yeah it took more than 5 years to finish [[mostly due to changing majors and getting concurrent degrees in geography and urban studies) but I did it.

For inner-city kids this place is a God-send. I know I sure as heck would have never fit in at U of M and would have dropped out due to cost. If you're lazy you probably should not be there to begin with and fiscally stupid to even try.
    sounds to me like that was UofM's loss

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I think one of the most embarrassing aspects of Detroit is how we fight on threads like this. And of course how easy we are to take the bait.
    Exactly...

I keep on seeing this use of the word "robbery" when it comes to what Wayne State is doing here and I think that couldn't be farther from the truth. To rob someone I have to see an intent to do harm and forcibly take something from someone. Sorry I don't see it. Wayne State and any other accredited college offers up a chance at an education just like any other business offers up a product. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

And even after one "buys" that product or service, I agree with so many other posters here that the buyer has some responsibility to use it properly. I mentioned something about the liquor store somehow being responsible or not being responsible to the drinker earlier and the original poster couldn't even offer up a rebuttal because they couldn't. Wayne State is what it is- it's a Detroit based college that has educated a lot of people. Obviously some better than others. That could be said for every college in the nation. To somehow expect ALL college graduates to measure up to some arbitrary level of success is ridiculous. Wayne, like so many other colleges just supports an environment to learn- it's there for the taking by its students. If a student chooses not to take advantage of it- it's not the school's fault.

Where is the supposed outrage to the individuals who attend and not do anything with their degrees and opportunities?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I graduated from WSU with a B.A. in Liberal Arts and Mass Communication Theory degree in 2010. and now started my own film company. WSU pay half of my tuition. I don't see nothing wrong with that university. It's folks who put innuendos in the news that would WSU or other colleges and universities a bad name.

"1 in 13 black students leave there with a degree."

That's because they did studied enough or going through any required English, Math or foreign language courses for gen ed. If they follow the rules like everybody else, then they will succeed.

There's some white folks who didn't graduated from WSU. That included Hispanics.

Asians and East Indians graduated more in WSU than blacks, whites and Hispanics with degrees in engineering and pre-med. Why can blacks, whites and Hispanics? It's folks in the media is trying to say that Wayne State University a 'ghetto school!' But its growing and still prospering in Midtown.

Students when you all in college.

1. Go to class

2. Study

3. find resources

4. hang out later

5. rest.

That's all you have to do. I did it and I have graduated. It's that simple!
    It's a good thing you weren't going for an English degree.

Embarrassing?
    Wayne States campus is the safest area in Detroit, it's a world class university.
    i think the problem is that unprepared DPS students go there and cannot handle the academics, that coupled with a weak support system causes them to fail. Just my 2 cents.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5