Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Since the Flamingo Theatre, listed on the database 56packman linked to, still stands as Solid Rock Church an Seven Mile Rd. E. Near Gratiot, does anyone know if the organ has survived there?

Thank you, packman! Guess I did not catch it. Happy to know it might still be in the area.

Since the only thing I know about organs is what I've seen at my old church [[First Baptist Church in port huron) how does someone lut an organ in their HOUSE?the organ in the church [[new building built 1971) came from th old building from circa 1883. The organ chamber is about 15-18 feet tall and something like 10x15 feet square. People actually have this much room to put a THEATER organ in? What about the rest of the house for the sound? I know the church's organ can be heard outside if they crank it up so how could you even enjoy it in a house?

A friend of mine had an old church pipe organ in his house. He put the pipes in the basement. Most were affixed to the ceiling to keep the floor space.

It is possible. Definitely a lot of work though. My grandfather would have been the type to have done just that. He was the organist at Holy Redeemer for years and also worked at Wurlitzer. Always music in the house.

Ltdave--having a pipe organ in a home is less than ideal for the instrument from an acoustical standpoint. The sound can't travel far, and can't "bloom" like it does in a large public space like a theater or church. But many of these instruments would have gone to the dump had the buffs not rescued them from the theaters as they closed. It was an inexpensive hobby back then [[50s-early 70s) except for the electric bill to run a 3, 5 or 7-1/2 HP motor for any length of time. I know of several instances where the instrument was donated back to the theater it came from, the theater having turned from a grind movie house into a performing arts center in the years between. The State theater in Sandusky OH has its original Page [[brand) organ back, it was purchased and removed in 1960 by the late Floyd Bunt, who had it installed in his home on the grounds of Cranbrook, where he was a faculty member. He gave the organ back and funded its restoration.
    Brock--the Flamingo/Solid Rock organ is long gone, one of the unknowns.

A 1927 Wurlitzer 4/78 may be one of the largest organs assembled & is used daily in a pizza theater here in my city.
    website has photos and history
    http://www.organstoppizza.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2