Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I hated them at first. Now I love them!

I love roundabouts. Much quicker getting through the intersection, much safer also.

A round about was proposed by planning firm Beckett & Raeder for Lincoln Park's Fort Street and Southfield intersection about 2001 or so. MDOT didn't like it. In a meeting with MDOT on the proposed streetscape, MDOT stated that they were not yet in favor of round about's because although successfully utilized in other states and countries, they hadn't yet been used in Michigan.

Default Formerly Skeptical

I live in Bloomfield Township and go through the intersections at Maple/Farmington, Maple/Drake, and/or 14/Farmington a couple of times a week. I also grew up in New
    Jersey, where back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's traffic circles were used for intersections of two roads each of which carries as much traffic as Telegraph Road. Let's just say NJ spent gobs of money to cut through these circles [[or build overpasses in the worst cases) because they were instant gridlock. After my New Jersey upbringing, I was skeptical of the roundabouts, but I'm now a convert. Michiganians seem to be getting the hang of them, and once you do they're great for getting through the intersections reasonably quickly.

My experience has been that most of those who expect to hate roundabouts before using them end up being converts. My explanation for this is that the same ones who predict their failure are also the same impatient drivers who can't stand to wait for lights. They discover that the benefit roundabouts provide, not having to wait for lights, far exceeds the negative of having to learn to drive them and having to deal with the people who never learn the proper way to drive them.

I don't like 'em.

Roundabouts are great except for the learning curve of idiots that don't know how to use them. I swear once people get stuck in their ways their is no way to change them.

The 26 mile and M53 set up is great, except for when people don't know what they are doing and last fall a guy on his motorcycle gets run over by a Silverado. I've even seen people within the circle stop for traffic. Stupid people honestly.

The prototype roundabout that the Northwestern/14mile/Orchard Lake rd roundabout will be based on?
    I want to put a bar on this thing and call it The Roundabout Lounge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony Codfish; October-08-14 at 06:14 PM.

That is a vortex straight to hell.

Has anyone checked out the M-53 [[Van Dyke Fwy) and 26 Mile Roundabout.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzgBqX8jAM

You guys must all be really terrible drivers if you can't understand/handle a roundabout...they're the most sensible thing ever. Near where I live off Whitaker Road in Ypsilanti TWP is one, also off geddes rd...follow the signs and you're good

Agreed. Get off your cell phone and go back to driving school if you can't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    You guys must all be really terrible drivers if you can't understand/handle a roundabout...they're the most sensible thing ever. Near where I live off Whitaker Road in Ypsilanti TWP is one, also off geddes rd...follow the signs and you're good

Hehehe.... MCS [[hey!) and Rjlj..... these comments are all 5 years old... so I think the naysayers might be up to speed by now....

I always thought that E. Jefferson at E. Grand Blvd. at the MacArthur Bridge entrance to Belle Isle would make a great spot for a roundabout....

Those double ring ones like the illustration Tony Codfish posted confuse the heck out of me. They have them in DC and every corner there is a no turn sign. On our first visit, we could not figure out how to get out of the inner ring to the outer ring to make a turn. Went round and round and round, finally just did the turn. Got stopped and got a DC warning. Officer did not explain how to do it right, though. Must have been watching and waiting for us to give up and jump the signs. He was laughing of course. That was a while back, we were driving a big bad blue 70 Gremlin. It's hard to be sneaky in a car like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Those double ring ones like the illustration Tony Codfish posted confuse the heck out of me. They have them in DC and every corner there is a no turn sign. On our first visit, we could not figure out how to get out of the inner ring to the outer ring to make a turn. Went round and round and round, finally just did the turn. Got stopped and got a DC warning. Officer did not explain how to do it right, though. Must have been watching and waiting for us to give up and jump the signs. He was laughing of course. That was a while back, we were driving a big bad blue 70 Gremlin. It's hard to be sneaky in a car like that.
    Here is a local example, not quite as complicated, but complicated enough!
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...c501df63c50357

Yeah, I'm a big fan too.
    Posting that photo [[above) of the "magic roundabout", as their known in Britain, was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
    I do think roundabouts decrease congestion under most circumstances and I actually like how they function. Going through the ones on Farmington rd [[etc) too gives me a chance to tease the Other Half as well ... she apparently finds my enthusiasm unsettling.
    And "magic roundabouts" notwithstanding, the trick to using a roundabout is merely to get in the correct lane entering, based on the direction you will head in when exiting, and then just observe common sense practices in yielding appropriately.

I thought the British one in the photo above was hilarious when I first saw it; but I immediately had questions about the photo:

How does one negotiate this roundabout in the winter when the markings are covered with snow?

Is that an Airship mooring mast in the center?

Does this roundabout contain spots for military naval vessels?

Is wagering by pedestrian observers permitted?

And just how many pubs are adjacent to this roundabout?

... all important questions - along the lines of "why don't sheep shrink when it rains?" and so forth.
    I digress.
    Last edited by Tony Codfish; October-09-14 at 06:06 PM.

^^ Great questions.

Love roundabouts just wish MDOT would expand roads or they are useless during traffic backups and create stop flow. M-5 is a prime example when you pass Pontiac trail. should be 8 lanes with the amount of volume. Can't even use the round about due to the traffic jam blocking.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4