Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Speaking of rape crimes. The campus of University of Michigan his the highest report of campus crime the State of Michigan. Are parents are thinking twice to send their adult child to that school?
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    Source?

http://police.umich.edu/?s=alerts

Read that and reap! There's more to come.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    http://police.umich.edu/?s=alerts

Read that and reap! There's more to come.
    That doesn't say it's the "highest report of campus crime" anywhere. I'd like to see a source that states that, or at least UM-Ann Arbor leading in one campus crime category.

Always thought the term was "read and WEEP", but I like yours better, Danny.

@Danny - this particular woman was not walking the streets alone. You say "be aware of your surroundings!" She was in her apartment doing laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    In Chicago, the PD has been using face recognition software to catch perps. Hope Detroit PD has that same software, so they can catch him.
    Facial recognition software works OK when comparing similar shots with each other - say mugshots and drivers license photos.

It's pretty awful at comparing random security photos to a known database. There have been a few companies trying to sell software that claims a high hit rate with security camera footage, but nobody has proven that it actually works.

There was a big pilot program for a similar system at the Superbowl a few years ago. They never used it again.

Decades ago when I was a twenty-something, starting a family, living in an apartment just off campus [[in Woodbridge) I was often doing laundry in the basement alone, a few times while pregnant preparing for birth of a child. Goodness! I'd never take such a risk now!! Even I if were holding a cocked pistol in one hand and laundry bag in the other. Times are indeed worse...

This creep needs to be caught now as he will do it again. He's of slight build as is his victim from photos [[she looks maybe a size 4 or so). Ladies, never allow yourself to be alone on any campus classroom either. Too many folks walking about who aren't students, they can wander in shut the door and commit assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    @Danny - this particular woman was not walking the streets alone. You say "be aware of your surroundings!" She was in her apartment doing laundry.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-08-13 at 07:59 PM.

Zacha, thank you for highlighting harm to women. In the 70's rape was quite common around, in or near campus. I have no solutions, poor baby was doing laundry. Castrate the bastards. Rape is a serious crime but honestly don't believe our police take it serious.Crimes against women get trivialized. Sigh!

Pretty much. But you have all of these people harping about how great Midtown is; so much so that from 12-2:00a on weekends you see college-aged guys and gals walking alone, like sitting ducks. So many in that area with a false sense of security or walking with their guard down, it's amazing stories like this aren't more frequent.
    Uh... stories like this aren't more frequent because that sense of security isn't false...

That doesn't say it's the "highest report of campus crime" anywhere. I'd like to see a source that states that, or at least UM-Ann Arbor leading in one campus crime category.

There was another campus crime occur on September 9 In U of M campus. A student got robbed by 4 men and got away. University of Michigan still remains the highest in campus crime in the State of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    Whether you're inside your house, apt. and out on the ghettos of Detroit be aware of your surroundings.

I don't care much about this conversation, but a quick Google search brought this up from 2010:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...es-ranked.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2