Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hudsons Maurice Salad

I don't know if anyone else out there misses this Detroit classic, but I found the receipe online and thought I'd share, so here goes:

DRESSING:
    2 t. white vinegar
    1 1/2 t. lemon juice
    1 1/2 t. onion juice
    1 1/2 t. sugar
    1 1/2 t. Dijon mustard
    1/4 t. dry mustard
    1 c. mayonnaise
    2 T. chopped fresh parsley
    1 hard cooked egg, diced
    salt to taste

SALAD INGREDIENTS:
    14 oz. ham, cut into strips
    14 oz. cooked turkey breast, cut into strips
    14 oz. Swiss cheese, cut into strips
    1/2 c. slivered, sweet gherkin pickles
    1 head Iceberg lettuce, shredded
    12-16 pimento stuffed green olives

Combine the first 6 dressing ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add remaining dressing ingredients and mix well. Combine the ham, turkey, cheese and pickles together in a large bowl. Toss together with the dressing. Divide the lettuce among plates, top with salad and garnish each plate with 2 olives.
    [[serves 6-8) Enjoy!

Buy American Guest

You can get the Maurice Salad at Macy's Lakeshore Grill. Lakeside, Oakland Malls. It is exactly the same. Thanks for the recipe anyway.

Linda...thanks for the recipe. My husband and I met then we both worked at Hudsons. Love that salad, we would have it often. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I may just have to make it soon.! And the chicken pot pies were yummy too.

I miss the shrimp salad on toasted cheese bread. Is was a perennial favorite of my mom's and the last one I had was on my birthday several years back. Ironically, my mom died three days later.

Loved eating those salads as a kid at the basement of Hudson's in Northland back in the 1970's. Now you're making me hungry!

LOL - I remember eating at Eastland's Hudson's Restaurant with my mother and she would almost invariably order this, as back in the '70's it was actually considered "healthy." HA!!!!! It was probably less healthy than the burgers or whatever I would get!!!

yummom worked in the pantry department at eastland and would occassionaly bring maurice salads home along with the crescent rolls. if i remember correctly, they also had ham and cheese ones too!

Default Maurice salad/Mickey Mouse

Don't forget the mickey mouse ice cream, single scoop of ice cream with the chocolate wafer cookie ears! Couldn't finish the chicken pot pie fast enough to get to the dessert. Brings back memories of the 50's and Northland Hudson's.

Thanks Linda..I use to go there with My Mom and Dad...always very good..Salad one time ...Chick pot Pie...next...the Popovers were my Dad's favorite

Lorax Guest

Thanks for the recipe, will be making it this week.

Also loved the Hudson's Eastland restaurant on the top floor. I'm old enough to remember the fish tank with the turquoise glass mosaics surounding it.

Funny, if the malls built by Victor Gruen, Eastland, Northland, etc, had been preserved in their original configuration, outdoor style, well landscaped with fountains and sculpture gardens, they would be photographed as superb examples of mid-century modern design by architects and designers from all over.

Loved the popovers too.

I know this isn't about Hudsons, or salads, but I remember when Northland first opened. My aunt was one of the first servers at Sanders...and boy was it great to take the bus there and have her fix a sundae!

Along with the salad dressing, who remembers the wall of sculptures of Great Lakes boats that decorated the restaurant at Eastland? I wonder who did that, and where the ship models are today. I'd be willing to bet they're squirreled away in someone's basement. I know I've got the "University of Minnesota" seal that once decorated a men's shop in the downtown Hudson's. It must have had a Big Ten theme when my dad worked there. The U of M was his alma mater and he nicked the emblem when the men's store was redecorated.

My grandmother worked at Hudson's, and it was a big treat to go down with my mother and sister to see her for lunch. We would all go up to the restaurant and I would get that burger that came on dark bread [[how exotic!). My mother and grandmother would usually both get the Maurice Salad, and grandma would always give me a little taste, because I loved the dressing. And then... the sundae with the cone on top.

Sometimes, for a real exotic treat we would go "behind the scenes" to the employee cafeteria, which served many of the same items as the restaurant. I realize now that this was only probably because it was grandma's turn to pay and it was a lot cheaper, but still, we felt like such special insiders, and all of my grandma's friends from the aisles of beauty would dote over us kids.

Thanks so much for the Maurice Salad recipe! My husband and I eat quite often at the Lakeshore Grill in Hudsons/Marshall Field/Macys in Oakland Mall; I try different things but he ALWAYS gets the Meat Loaf. They tried to discontinue it for a while but must have gotten lots of flak so they brought it back.

Hubby is very happy, and so am I. They still offer the popovers. Some of my favorite memories are of taking my mother to the Northland store for lunch. When they closed that restaurant is when I stopped going to Northland.

Do they still use iceberg lettuce in the Maurice?

Seems like every birthday till I was around 10yrs old, My Mom , Grandma, Me and some times my Aunt and cousin who,s birthday is a week after mine we would go to Hudsons usually at Westland to eat. My Mom and Grandma would get the Maurice salad, I got the kids meal with the Mickey Mouse ice cream. Then I would get a prize from the "treasure chest and go home".I have never had a Maurice salad , I guess it is never too late.

m'lady and I go there a lot for the Mandarin salad and the amazing cheese soup!

Don't forget the Turkey Twist !

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    Along with the salad dressing, who remembers the wall of sculptures of Great Lakes boats that decorated the restaurant at Eastland?
    I do - weren't they metal sculptures mounted on a blue-tile background? I can just about visualize them. I believe the restaurant itself was called the Seaway Room.