Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No, it depends on income level. There is no level of "quality" that would induce me to spend 200 bucks on one pair of jeans.
    $250, but what's $50, give or take....

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No, it depends on income level. There is no level of "quality" that would induce me to spend 200 bucks on one pair of jeans.
    I don't expect any of these companies are marketing towards the majority of consumers, so don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    ...most of the nice selvedge...
    I've noticed this word thrown around a few times ITT, is this just a misspelling of salvage or some special kind of fabric?

selvedge or selvage is a term referring to fabric that has a finished edge. It's thought to be a corruption of "self-edged"

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I've noticed this word thrown around a few times ITT, is this just a misspelling of salvage or some special kind of fabric?
    Selvage890

All fabric has selvages; it's part of the weaving process. I gather what the difference is with these jeans is that they use the selvage edge as part of their seam. They must lay the pattern on the edges of the fabric so that the jean has selvages included on the outside seam. I don't think there is any way to have the selvage on both the inner and outer seam.
    Last edited by jcole; September-05-13 at 08:34 AM.

$250 for a pair of jeans. I wonder how this company will survive in a society where most people are not making more than $30,000 a year and would shop at Target, Kmart, or Forman Mills for a pair of jeans for $200 or less. It would be nice if a denim store will open in the downtown midtown area that will sell Wranglers, Levis, Lees, Dickies etc. That store would draw all of the customers from these local stores that make a pair of jeans that cost more than two winter coats

^^^ Tell me about it. I have purchased several pairs of decent jeans at Forman Mills [[which has some grand deals on many things if you're willing to dig thru the crap). The tags are often removed but otherwise they are ok.

If I get a pair of designer jeans I go to a discounter. Have found some nice jeans at the resell shop too. I like variety. I don't want one pair of expensive jeans when I could have multiple pair and not have to go about not washing my one and only. Nope.

I buy a lot of my stuff at Value Village for work. I frequently find barely used jeans for regular wear.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    $250 for a pair of jeans. I wonder how this company will survive in a society where most people are not making more than $30,000 a year and would shop at Target, Kmart, or Forman Mills for a pair of jeans for $200 or less. It would be nice if a denim store will open in the downtown midtown area that will sell Wranglers, Levis, Lees, Dickies etc. That store would draw all of the customers from these local stores that make a pair of jeans that cost more than two winter coats
    There are probably 100 other companies selling $250+ jeans that have been surviving...so the market must exist someplace.

There are probably 100 other companies selling $250+ jeans that have been surviving...so the market must exist someplace.
    Add "Detroit" to the name, and you have something more than a few young up-and-comers might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    All fabric has selvages; it's part of the weaving process. I gather what the difference is with these jeans is that they use the selvage edge as part of their seam. They must lay the pattern on the edges of the fabric so that the jean has selvages included on the outside seam. I don't think there is any way to have the selvage on both the inner and outer seam.
    That's pretty much it. In "non-selvege" jeans, they cut the fabric to size and use the seam to seal the cut end. You can tell because the seam will have a mass of splayed fibers running along it - the end of the fabric that's been cut.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    That's pretty much it. In "non-selvege" jeans, they cut the fabric to size and use the seam to seal the cut end. You can tell because the seam will have a mass of splayed fibers running along it - the end of the fabric that's been cut.
    I sew; I know how it works. Most clothing is laid out with the grain of the fabric and it's not easy to get a selvage to run the entire length of one side of, say, a dress because of the curves of the pattern. It's easier with a straight edge.
    Also, most fabric is 36" to 60" wide and you would waste a whole lot of fabric trying to lay out only on selvages. Apparently, the denim these companies use is 30" wide denim which probably is one reason it's so expensive to buy these jeans; specially woven fabric.
    Also, the "selvedge jeans" are only cut with one edge selvedged, not both. Just the outer side of the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Add "Detroit" to the name, and you have something more than a few young up-and-comers might be interested.
    You're absolutely right. A lot of extraterburbin couch potatoes are closet "bad-ass Detroiter" wannabees. There's nothing wrong with $250 jeans, just like any other obsession, I just don't feel the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're absolutely right. A lot of extraterburbin couch potatoes are closet "bad-ass Detroiter" wannabees. There's nothing wrong with $250 jeans, just like any other obsession, I just don't feel the need.
    These are pretty clearly not marketing towards "bad-ass Detroiter wannabees," nor will they be purchased by them.

These are pretty clearly not marketing towards "bad-ass Detroiter wannabees," nor will they be purchased by them.
    You work for Detroit Denim don't you? Not many authentic Detroiters I know can afford $250 jeans, nor would they buy them if they could.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    You work for Detroit Denim don't you? Not many authentic Detroiters I know can afford $250 jeans, nor would they buy them if they could.
    I work at WSU. I don't know anyone who works for the company, nor do I own a pair.

They're probably not trying to sell them to the "authentic Detroiters" that you know.

I'm not sure why so many people here don't understand this. Expensive raw, selvedge denim is not unusual. A local business doesn't necessarily cater to the locals.

i buy my jeans at value world. $2-4 a pair.

true hipsters clean their clothes like the romans.
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...RA*/Fullo.html
    The ancients were not acquainted with soap,a but they used in its stead different kinds of alkali, by which the dirt was more easily separated from the clothes. Of these, by far the most common was the urine of men and animals, which was mixed with the water in which the clothes were washed.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i buy my jeans at value world. $2-4 a pair.

true hipsters clean their clothes like the romans.
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...RA*/Fullo.html
    did they use raw urine or derive ammonia from it, as the Norse did?

These hipsters that spend $250 on a pair of jeans clearly wear them and care for them differently than I do my $50 jeans.
    Last edited by RedeemerKid; September-06-13 at 08:23 AM.

What about the non-hipsters that buy them?

What about the non-hipsters that buy them?
    Mythical creatures. Many have claimed to have experienced contact or a sighting, but I am skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
    Mythical creatures. Many have claimed to have experienced contact or a sighting, but I am skeptical.
    Is this where you should define "hipster"?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3