Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    By that I mean that 90% of the people who fancy themselves to be actors or directors aren't actually any good at it and have no careers in it.

For that matter, 90% of the people who fancy themselves "businessmen/women" are no good at it either, as something like 90% of all businesses fail in the first 2 years. Let's stop giving handouts in the form of reduced corporate taxes to those idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    An industry [[and I mean industry in the broad sense, not just manufacturing related industries) that is naturally suited to Michigan would be one that we already have a skilled workforce for, the infrastructure and institutional knowledge for, good geography for [[when relevant), and a reason to believe that we would be competitive with other regions. These are industries that Michigan would normally be good at but require a lot of capital or are new industries where you'd expect there to be losses for a certain number of years before the industry matured. Or maybe there are industries that are not new and which we're not currently super competitive but ones that we *could* be if given a bit of a boost for a few years.

One advantage that Michigan has is it has a high number of engineers [[http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data...-majors-states) so subsidizing an emerging industry which can take advantage of one of our genuine talents would be good.

Building off of our genuine talents and advantages is important because it means that companies won't just move. It means they'll be in Michigan because Michigan is actually a good place for them to be instead of just being the place that is bribing them the most to be there at the moment.

The film industry just isn't one of those industries. LA and NYC have such a complete and utter dominance in that industry that even *thinking* that we could develop that industry to be competitive is insane. How many real actors [[not baristas) live here? How many cinematographers, writers, directors, producers are here? How many set builders are here and how many special effects companies? LA has over 100,000 people employed in the film [[and music) industries. If someone waved a magic wand and made every man woman and child in Warren into an experienced film workforce then we would be comparable to LA. Not even better! Just comparable. And as far as I know, all other things being equal, there's nothing about Michigan or Michiganders that would make it better suited for the film industry than the places it's already established.

We have a genuine engineering talent. We also have a lot of freshwater although off the top of my head the only thing that's good for is nuclear power plants. There are other things Michigan is good at that I'm blanking out on right now, but they're there. Every once in a while you hear about some field that Michigan is good at. iirc parts of Michigan are good for wine? And wind energy? Information about these types of things is available and the state could do additional studies and analysis on its own to figure out the best opportunities for investment, and whether or not investment from the government would be effective.

Food and housing assistance are some of the most effective ways the government can spend money. They directly boost demand for a variety of goods and services because poor people spend the money on these things right away, and because without that money they would not have made those purchases [[so instead of transferring one type of spending into another, you're creating spending in the economy that would not have existed otherwise). And it also means that instead of subsisting in poverty people have the stability to get jobs and contribute to the economy. Various forms of spending have different multiplier effects [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_multiplier) and food and housing assistance tend to be good. Infrastructure also tends to be a very good investment for the government to make.

There are different ways the government can spend money [[or not spend money) which have varying degrees of effectiveness and the film credits are just really terrible unfortunately.

With all due respect Jason, there are a hundred or more film cities competing for Hollywood production dollars as we speak. Detroit is not in a bad position to get more of these kinds of shows, in fact the most expensive movie ever made.

Chicago, Toronto, Montreal are big film production centers that are close to Detroit and they are in no way affected by the dominance of Los Angeles as a film city except for the fact they are competing to get the next shows shot out of L.A. When the big shows don't come around, or are rarer, the rest of the production capacity makes the wheel turn for technicians. Detroit used to have studios and more advertizing dollars spent in the region years ago. A lot of stuff has left for Chicago or New York, I suppose.

As you mentioned, engineering is a big thing in Michigan and it needs to grow. Film employs more engineers now than it ever has, and it is important for film producers to rely on local talent in these fields when needed. Just look at the credits at the end of a movie and check out the number of visual effects people over the rest of the crew. The College for Creative Studies is in Detroit, not Miami, and it churns out potential candidates for game design or production design en masse. It is worth helping an industry emerge in the city that might not blossom if Hollywood went elsewhere. If they come to Detroit it has to do with local potential, believe me...

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I haven't watched BvS yet but the critics have been taking razorblades to it.

Man of Steel got the same sort of venom and I absolutely loved that movie.

And yeah there's rumors Affleck is going to be directing himself in the next Batman solo. It needs to be back in the D. Especially after getting local JK Simmons as Commisioner Gordon.
    I wonder what mixed emotions Kevin Smith [[friend of Alleck and big comic book fan) has towards the film? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUwHaven't seen it, but it can't be any worse than anything Schumacher did or the last two Reeves Superman flicks.

I liked "Nothing But Trouble", "Joe Dirt", and "Mr. Deeds" but folks razzed them. Thank God for diversity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2