Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Wilson Family Farmland expanded from Joy, Rd and Inkster Rd to Five Mile Rd and goes further northwestward to Middlebelt Rd to past Schoolcraft Rd. What's left the Wilson Dairy Farm is on the corner of Middlebelt and Chicago Rd.

The Livonia Airfield was develop into Wonderland Mall in 1959. It was a outdoor mall complete with S.S. Kresge's, Wards, Federals, Woolworth's and many more. By the 1970s Federal's closed down new stores were added in. The Old Dunham's Sports came in, only to move across the mall. Service Merchadise fill up the area. Then it was closed in late 1990s. Replace by Office Max. Eaten Place was the food court at the time. Later it was remodeled to only 5 resturants. It did catch on. In the 1990s Woolwoths closed down.Target arrived in the early 1990s. Just recently a 6 year old black boy named DeWan Simms was shopping with his mother in the Target Store when he was vanished. He was never seen again. Ward's was closed in 1999. Without a prime achor store. Lot's of patrons turned away and the stores next to Ward's closed, too. By the early 2000s Wonderland Mall close it doors for good. It was demolished to turn into a strip mall called Wonderland Village with Target and Wal-Mart Supercenter. That are is still thriving to this day.
    Last edited by Danny; March-24-14 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The Old Car Factories thread [[p. 17) had this picture of the Ford warehouse, date unknown, with the airport buildings in the foreground. Why the grounds were filled with buses, I don't know.
    In the 1950s, the larger DSR buses were made by Mack and Twin Coach [[GM). The smaller buses for the less traveled routes were made by Ford. DPS chartered DSR buses for school bus purposes where needed. I rode the bus from Berkshire and Nottingham to Jackson Intermediate [[and return) 1951-1953. Most times we got a Mack and less frequently a Twin Coach and most of us had seats. Occasionally DSR would be short and we would get a Ford and more than half of us would have to stand.

So, you're saying their was a field trip that day?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Do you think the buses are staged to replace the street cars?

or wrong time frame?
    Not all routes at this time were streetcars. Only the busiest routes had streetcars. Buses have always been the core of a transit system and feed higher level lines.

So, you're saying their was a field trip that day?
    No, Wayne, Arthur, and Clark were feeder elementary schools to Jackson but were far enough away that DPS had top provide daily transportation for their 7th and 8th graders. We rode chartered DSR buses every day and every day would be a different bus and driver. We never knew which bus would show up as Bus #7.

If there was a field trip, that would be still another chartered DSR bus.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Not all routes at this time were streetcars. Only the busiest routes had streetcars. Buses have always been the core of a transit system and feed higher level lines.
    The Fords were used on the low ridership routes that never had a streetcar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    No, Wayne, Arthur, and Clark were feeder elementary schools to Jackson but were far enough away that DPS had top provide daily transportation for their 7th and 8th graders. We rode chartered DSR buses every day and every day would be a different bus and driver. We never knew which bus would show up as Bus #7.

If there was a field trip, that would be still another chartered DSR bus.
    Okay, I'm not following the connection to the airfield/Ford warehouse you're trying to make. Sorry.

Okay, I'm not following the connection to the airfield/Ford warehouse you're trying to make. Sorry.
    I was just noting that DSR had a lot of the small Ford buses in the 50s and providing a basis for my experience with them.

I am very interested in the history of the company "National Air Service" that was based at National Airport at Plymouth and Middlebelt in 1926-1933 [[Also was called Triangle Air Service). I have a set of pictures from that era and I am looking for any other information people may have.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jrereeves View Post
    I am very interested in the history of the company "National Air Service" that was based at National Airport at Plymouth and Middlebelt in 1926-1933 [[Also was called Triangle Air Service). I have a set of pictures from that era and I am looking for any other information people may have.

Thanks!
    Let's see the photos?

I worked at the Ford National Parts Distribution Center from 2000-2008. The front office personnel were categorized as "Ford Customer Service Division" employees when I worked there. In May of 2008, the office was relocated to the Regent Court building [[10-story black granite building at SE corner of Ford Road and Southfield Fwy.). The distribution center remained open at that time [[I'm not certain of its current fate.)

Part of my responsibilities were updating the intranet for the building employees and when I redesigned the website, I did a lot of research and incorporated many images from the dedication of the building on 6/12/1952. You can find my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kbreen...57594315547419

I also contacted the city of Livonia and they provided me with some information and photos, which also includes the National Airways airfield and the developers/architect of Wonderland Mall. The documents are uploaded here: https://www.scribd.com/collections/3552453/Livonia.

Enjoy!

Karen Breen-Bondie
    Ferndale

Not to thread jack this post, but what other little airports have disappeared from the Detroit area?

Some were used to train fighter pilots during WWII.

I saw a "American Pickers" episode that had a closed airport in Iowa that trained pilots during WWII.

I know of several in this area, but would like to hear about more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Not to thread jack this post, but what other little airports have disappeared from the Detroit area?

Some were used to train fighter pilots during WWII.

I saw a "American Pickers" episode that had a closed airport in Iowa that trained pilots during WWII.

I know of several in this area, but would like to hear about more.
    Here is a great source:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MI/Airfields_MI.htm

417deer Guest

Since Livonia residents want to secede from Greater Detroit then let them build their own airport also.

This can be done by tearing down the auto factories which are now vacant and then there will be land again for an airport.

An airport can't be built on this site because it is now used.
    Last edited by 417deer; March-16-16 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 417deer View Post
    Since Livonia residents want to secede from Greater Detroit then let them build their own airport also.

This can be done by tearing down the auto factories which are now vacant and then there will be land again for an airport.

An airport can't be built on this site because it is now used.
    I don't know where to start with this thing. Letting it slide and go unchallenged is a poor choice, but engaging may be a worserer one.

Name:  LIvap.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  82.9 KB
    Hi All:

Thanks for all the information. The airport in Livonia was National Airway Service. It was owned by my grandfather Elden Kracht. Elden married Ina, daughter of Ira Wilson. The above photo is of Elden.

There is also another photo on this site, someone posted it, at the airfield. The photo was donated to the City of Livonia by my Aunt, Irene Turner, granddaughter of Ira. She is still living and is one of the best historian's regarding the city. The two men in the photo are: Jack Wagoner and Elden Kracht.
    Last edited by krachtelden; March-18-18 at 07:05 PM.

Ira Wilson donated the land to his son in law Elden Kracht who owned the airport.

Like feeding raccoons, replying to angry, negative people is almost always a bad idea.

Thanks for the update, krachtelden.

Quote Originally Posted by krachtelden View Post
    Name:  LIvap.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  82.9 KB
    Hi All:

Thanks for all the information. The airport in Livonia was National Airway Service. It was owned by my grandfather Elden Kracht. Elden married Ina, daughter of Ira Wilson. The above photo is of Elden.

There is also another photo on this site, someone posted it, at the airfield. The photo was donated to the City of Livonia by my Aunt, Irene Turner, granddaughter of Ira. She is still living and is one of the best historian's regarding the city. The two men in the photo are: Jack Wagoner and Elden Kracht.
    Tell us more pleeeeeese!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2