Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fiscal reality is a funny thing... how many here thought that the Book Cadillac would ever be restored? So speaking of reality... all but the MCS are lesser projects...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah, that's not really a fair measure then.

A highrise is still a highrise for all practical intents and purposes. It's capital being injected into the city and it does have an effect, even if only a marginal one, on the skyline.

Is anyone calling it a contest? No. I only mentioned the article because it validates my point that renovations outpace highrise construction in Detroit. And that's not a bad thing. I rather see older buildings rehabbed first. When I get home I'll look for the link.
    Last edited by wolverine; August-24-13 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    There have been several comments along the lines of "no demand", and "plenty of housing". Obviously, the writers of those comments haven't been shopping recently for downtown housing – – – because essentially there is none! As fast as a building rehabs, it fills up immediately. The estimate is that downtown residential occupancy is around 95%. So, obviously, there is a need and a demand. Personally, I favor the Book Building.
    OP asked about buildings in Detroit and not specifically downtown core.

Occupancy and average rents are two different things as one could fill a highrise with tenants and have high occupancy but no profit.$1800 per month + for 700 sqft sounds close enough for starters.

A quick 5 minute internet check with a follow up phone call finds this at Detroit city apartments with 2 b 2b @ $1560 for 1152 sqft available 09/22.CC in hand could have held it.Cheap per sqft.

Broderick has a 1 bedroom also available.

Now, penthouses are, granted, a bit more hard to find.

I can see core residential units starting around $2500 for 700 sqft in about another five years,it always happens.
    Last edited by Richard; August-24-13 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Fiscal reality is a funny thing... how many here thought that the Book Cadillac would ever be restored? So speaking of reality... all but the MCS are lesser projects...
    Umm actually I did! LOL The location is great. It is not far from Cobo or many businesses.

I would add the old Wayne County Building.

Admittedly it's a small building, but what is happening with the [[Civil War era) GAR building?
    Last edited by night-timer; August-26-13 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Admittedly it's a small building, but what is happening with the [[Civil War era) GAR building?
    Hardly Civil War [[1861-1865) era. From Wiki:

• Detroit, Michigan: Grand Army of the Republic Building was completed in 1890 as a meeting place for the local chapter of the GAR. When membership dwindled in the 1930s, the group deeded the property to the City of Detroit who paid a portion of the construction costs. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 and was vacant for many years.[39] In November 2011, the software company Mindfield acquired the building and, through the summer of 2013, spent over $1,000,000 on restoration.[40]

Even later... the GAR was finished in 1899...

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    being renovated for mindstream's HQ and a museum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2