Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

we got too many laws on the books.

how many laws and ordinances do you break on a daily basis?

surprised there havent been many posters in here blaming the victim and calling the city a hero for finding revenue and fixing blight.
    Last edited by compn; August-23-13 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Police don't do code enforcement. At least, they didn't "in my day". Sumas, was that ticket REALLY written by a DPD police officer? It blows my mind if it was. As far as fighting an unjust ticket, yeah, by all means, do it if you have the time to spare.

Overall, fighting blight in Detroit is a Sisyphus situation, to say the least.
    Gotta love a cop that can use Sisyphus as an analogy. Even if retired. That's what makes Detroit kick other city's butts!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I wish you were joking, tires against a curb? Here is another favorite. My next door neighbor has lived here since the fifties. Some numnut got her a handicap parking sign. No one, I mean no one, would park in her spot in front of her house. She is well loved and respected. The sign instead of a single spot calls for two ways. Assholes installed it on our property line. A visiting friend got a ticket for parking in a handicap zone. Our lots are 100 feet wide. Need to move her sign to the middle of her property. We saw him get the ticket. He offered to measure the footage. The parking officer declined. He actually was legal. The sign needs to move though. The odder thing is we do have a handicaped sticker for our car but always park to the farther end of our property.
    I don't know, you and your bunch seem to have a real criminal element among you. Low tires, parking into a Handicapped Zone. Next we'll learn you take your trash cans out an hour earlier then you're supposed to. I think you're a menace to society.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Police don't do code enforcement. At least, they didn't "in my day". Sumas, was that ticket REALLY written by a DPD police officer? It blows my mind if it was. As far as fighting an unjust ticket, yeah, by all means, do it if you have the time to spare.

Overall, fighting blight in Detroit is a Sisyphus situation, to say the least.
    Yes it was, just everything is weird, like getting it mailed to us. Used to be, it got stuck on your windshield. Guess cops are afraid to get out of cars now.

My home is a beautiful historic 112 yr old building. Flowers and planters everywhere. Lawn cut and groomed. Ticket said there was a com-plaintive. That leaves me blank too. Love my neighbors, they love me.

Now I am in hurt mode. Most of my neighbors don't even have cars. We ferry lots of people everywhere.

Again I am so blank to get this ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't know, you and your bunch seem to have a real criminal element among you. Low tires, parking into a Handicapped Zone. Next we'll learn you take your trash cans out an hour earlier then you're supposed to. I think you're a menace to society.
    Amusing, yes my husband with a walker and me aging fast are a true threat.

Amusing, yes my husband with a walker and me aging fast are a true threat.
    It actually pains me to hear of your plight. A few months ago, a couple from Bloomfield Hills came down to the Friday Night Live! thing @ the DIA. They were talking with our little group about how since they now had free access to the DIA, they thought they'd come down to the museum, catch the concert, then do dinner afterwards. As it turned out several of us, including them, had parked on Farnsworth. We walked out together, and when we got to the cars, not only was the rear glass broken out of their car, but there also was a parking ticket on it for "parking too close to the corner". [[looked fine to me) Needless to say, they were totally bummed, and went home, [[probably won't be back, nor will their friends) We just made apologize for the City. I never felt so embarrassed to be a Detroiter in my life. We can't keep your property safe, but we sure as hell can slap a ticket on it for nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It actually pains me to hear of your plight. A few months ago, a couple from Bloomfield Hills came down to the Friday Night Live! thing @ the DIA. They were talking with our little group about how since they now had free access to the DIA, they thought they'd come down to the museum, catch the concert, then do dinner afterwards. As it turned out several of us, including them, had parked on Farnsworth. We walked out together, and when we got to the cars, not only was the rear glass broken out of their car, but there also was a parking ticket on it for "parking too close to the corner". [[looked fine to me) Needless to say, they were totally bummed, and went home, [[probably won't be back, nor will their friends) We just made apologize for the City. I never felt so embarrassed to be a Detroiter in my life. We can't keep your property safe, but we sure as hell can slap a ticket on it for nonsense.
    That pains me too. A delightful evening planned ends in property destruction and a dumb ticket. I really do love our city and love to show its good points. I am saddened they had such a bad time. I suppose it could have been worse, like getting a ticket for littering all that glass too.

I would like to say once again how much I enjoy this forum. The wit, the wisdom is amazing. I am not computer literate, I do not twitter nor text. I love when people supply links and photos.

Sorry for whining, I am back in the city for the long haul but certainly police should not harass its citizens doing no wrong.

@Sumas Your ticket astounds me. I can only think that it was mailed to avoid having a conversation with you, if you would've seen them writing the ticket and questioned them.

A few years ago my car was parked in my drive way and was blocking the sidewalk. A parking enforcement officer [[it wasn't a regular officer) started writing me a ticket. I was getting ready for work, and my wife yells to me about what was happening. I go running outside and explain that I'll move my car. The officer responds that once he's started writing the ticket he can't void it. I've always heard this, but wonder if it's BS or not. Anyways, I "fought" the ticket and the judge cut the fine down for me.

Good luck in battling the ticket, and I hope it gets thrown out completely.
    -DVD
    PS - thanks for suggestions on contacts for neighborhood clean up in a different thread.

i would like to say once again how much i enjoy this forum. The wit, the wisdom is amazing. I am not computer literate, i do not twitter nor text. I love when people supply links and photos.
    np......k?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-24-13 at 12:19 PM.

Our police have simply become much more interested in filling quotas [[and the city in raising revenue) than in fighting crime, or even being generally helpful to citizens in this tough town. That's why you'll get a ticket for something stupid, that is not really inconveniencing anybody, but you can't get a cop to show up for anything for someone actively burglarizing your neighbor's home or breaking into your car or stripping yet another building or public accommodation.

Low manpower is often used as an excuse, which is at least understandable [[although subject, in my view, to a number of terrible operational decisions), but so is "low morale," which really seems to come down a refusal to do your job, enforce the actual important parts of the law, and do something actually goddamn useful for the citizens of this city. We so badly need police reform.

The ticket which is almost impossible to read got deciphered, neighbors helped read it. Not only is my car a "nuisance" but the ticket says it is an inoperable vehicle??? The poor baby is old but runs great. I'll make sure I get my mechanic to attest. Serious... it is plated and insured. Why would I do that if it doesn't run? Junk prices are pretty good these days.

Plan on driving it to that stupid court date.

Two young black women walking our street canvassing for Duggan said they have been harassed by police. I am clueless on this, but true story. A pundit on line asked if I have a Duggan sign, which I do. What is cops issues about Duggan?

OOps forgot to mention, a neighbor sent over heritage peaches delivered by a different neighbor who walks better. My neighbors just the best!

Napolean's a cop

Warren Evans is a visible Duggan backer.

I gather officers didn't like him because he was a hardass.

I remember otherwise. Napoleon wasn't terribly popular as Chief, because he became pretty possessive of the trappings and his own grandest. He wore the fancy operatic uniform, Gestapo stuff with motorcycle gear. He wsn't all that, but he started to act like he was.
    They described him as a "cowboy."
    That said, he stuck by the 14 officers who were tried in Federal Court on pretty trumped-up charges. The first trial aquitted seven of them and the Feds decidednot to try the rest. Benny stood by them.

I forgot the conclusion: I think most DPD guys want Duggan. I don't think any of them would harass Sumas because she has a Duggan sign in her lawn. It's kind of a calumny to suggest that and I wonder why she does.
    On another thread Sumas writes that one of her neighbors warned her that people are against her because she is white. On another thread Sumas worries that strange people are eyeing her house and they may want to steal it. Maybe it's those people who got the car ticketed. I do know that there is no abandoned car officer cruising streets any more, looking for and ticketing abandoned cars. No manpower for that. A complaint has to be made.

Well I guess that is one explanation. I know my sister plans to vote for him. He installed her daughter who is Detroit police officer who of course lives in SCS.

All I know about Benny is he was a womanizer.

My Duggan sign stays up and lets see about future harassment. Honestly besides the flat tire, It wasn't, to find out on this ticket my car is inoperable, it isn't.

Would be nice if our police could spell. It took friends and neighbors to decipher. The ticket was smudged, not easy to read, things misspelled.

My husband goes as my advocate because I would get quite belligerent. The car is in my name, it was my Mom's, bought the year my Dad died. So I have a silly attachment to it. It really does run great. Please remember, plated, insured!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I forgot the conclusion: I think most DPD guys want Duggan. I don't think any of them would harass Sumas because she has a Duggan sign in her lawn. It's kind of a calumny to suggest that and I wonder why she does.
    On another thread Sumas writes that one of her neighbors warned her that people are against her because she is white. On another thread Sumas worries that strange people are eyeing her house and they may want to steal it. Maybe it's those people who got the car ticketed. I do know that there is no abandoned car officer cruising streets any more, looking for and ticketing abandoned cars. No manpower for that. A complaint has to be made.
    Well I suppose I should thank you for following my posts. Certainly you are implying I am some kind of nut case, The neighbor warning concerned me a bit, she lives on the next block with multiple other people. She is a drunk, they are all druggies and her boyfriend abuses her. We help her out on occasion. They don't like me, so what! I am prone to drama, so what!

We own our house free and clear, my taxes current. I expect the house next door is up for auction and yes I find it creepy to see people hungrily eyeing my house. Other neighbors have witnessed this too. A neighbor further down had to defend his house because the auction notice listed his address in error.

As to wondering about the Duggan issue how do you explain the two pretty young black women canvassing for Duggan getting Harassed, their words, by police. Is the retired city cable commissioners word good enough, he was with us when they relayed that info. Maybe you want to get my neighbors to post about witnessing people stareing at my property.

YEP i CAN GET DEFENSIVE! City living is not for everyone. I see weird shit everyday. I try hard not to feed trolls. This is Detroit Yes.

I also have the kindest lovely neighbors in the world. Can name almost every neighbor for 4 blocks. Been working on that this summer.

Got my post card with the court date. Funny, I have a colonocophy scheduled that morning. Frankly rather go to court but health first. Hope I can change the court date

probably the judge will throw it out as soon as you explain the situation.

is it better to park in a driveway , or would they still have ticketed you?

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    probably the judge will throw it out as soon as you explain the situation.

is it better to park in a driveway , or would they still have ticketed you?
    I do not have a driveway, we do have garage parking in back, off the ally. That is a huge pain in the butt. I would have to sprint 300 [[maybe more) feet up, through the house, unlock the garage, hit the garage button, then open amazingly heavy cast iron gates too.

Just not an option, my husband has Parkinsons, mobility issues are huge and I have serious medical issues myself. Curb works best for us. The 13 or more steps just to get up our front porch is a challenge

We could park on the maintained lot across from us. That's a funny story too.

Only in Detroit.

I could tell so many bizarre stories, I just don't feed trolls.

Honesty is a great policy, I try to keep that stuff for community meetings where folks actually care

Ok gets even more stupid spent from 10am to 3 to try to change the date. Couldn't do it, I have to go downtown, pay for parking and prove to the judge I have surgery scheduled. OF COURSE i CAN PROVE IT. Lets hope it is one one of those few judges that actually show up for work. All this crap over a flat tire which wasn't. My husband suggested I become a fugitive and totally ignore the issue. I wouldn't do that but sure sounded tempting.

Ok gets even more stupid spent from 10am to 3 to try to change the date. Couldn't do it, I have to go downtown, pay for parking and prove to the judge I have surgery scheduled. OF COURSE i CAN PROVE IT. Lets hope it is one one of those few judges that actually show up for work. All this crap over a flat tire which wasn't. My husband suggested I become a fugitive and totally ignore the issue. I wouldn't do that but sure sounded tempting.
    How ridiculous that you have to go spend hours there to prove you can't be there. So you can again later drive there to prove that your undriveable car can take you to court twice and to the doc/hospital for tests. Such a waste of time for all concerned. Tax dollars working at their best. Grrrrrrr

lily
    Last edited by Lily; August-27-13 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Missed sentence

Coming to the rest of the country ... soon!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast