Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

This is nuts. A classic case of political circus! brought to us by Tom Barrow. He's a definitely playing the race card game against Duggan. Barrow wants to make sure that Detroit's Mayoral Race is a 'BLACKS ONLY' campaign with a 'BLACK WINNER!' I'm sick and tired of this Aunt Jemina, Uncle Bens, little black Sambo, Mammy, Mantan Morland talk along with all the Alabama Porch Monkey's running around.

Mr. Boileau or any moderators, please excuse my language. Seeing that election results really upsets me. Please feel free to delete this sentence off this board. Right now I'm very upset of the people who run Detroit's business.

Detroit is no Birmingham, Alabama! and Michigan is not Mississippi. Detroit is not a Black power city. its everyones city.

Not sure which is worse, the fact that this happened.....that it just became public knowledge today or that ........

extremely sad day for all of us that care about Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Instead of disenfranchising a large number of voters, why don't they just re-count?
    Because that is too simple?????? Would seem like recount would make a lot of sense, which is why i can't imagine it happening.

Sad

Lily

i have no doubt that the votes for Duggan will be reinstated

Looks like the Napoleonic Wars just getting started, in Detroit!

Elmore Leonard would've loved this plotline.

And this is why I support a takeover of Detroit. What a messed up city from top to bottom. Further proof that the circus is still in full swing.

I have no horse in this race...but if they honestly do not count those 20,000 votes because of internal issues that would be just stunning. Just a stunning destruction of democracy.

I'm fed up. I'm just sick of the incompetence; the excuses. I don't care if there's nothing left in this town but a mule. Ultimately as the City Clerk/Department of Elections, your job is to count. That's it. You learn it in preschool, at least, if you didn't grow up in Detroit, you did. Can't even get that right, now can we?

What about the 59 minute emergency response time for police [[to say nothing of their no-response policy for scrapping or noise complaints) , a third of all streetlights not working, and now trash pickup even weeks behind.

I don't care about the tax base, bankruptcy, etc. I want results, not excuses, as a citizen. Too many idiots here, frankly. The old guard and friends and family plan runs too deep. I say we make Janice Winfrey join the Infantry and deploy her to Iraq to catch bullets with her body, because she's frankly useless otherwise. It would be the first good thing she's ever done for democracy, because it is dead in Detroit, and it has nothing to do with Kevin Orr.
    Last edited by poobert; August-20-13 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    A totally dysfunctional city.
    Glad you're in Nevada aren't you Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Why is Mike Duggan issuing a statement saying "My opponents tried another dirty trick today"? Did Napoleon's camp have something to do with the Board of Canvassers deciding to throw these votes out? It doesn't alter who is going to be in the general election. All it does is shine a negative light on Janice Winfrey and the Elections Department.

Did someone raise a protest that we don't know about?
    Excellent question and observation. An unusual blurt-slip for the generally disciplined Duggan campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Instead of disenfranchising a large number of voters, why don't they just re-count?
    If it made any difference in who would be in the final election, I'm sure a recount would be forced. In this case it is possible that since it doesn't matter they won't do one. But you are right that as a principle you can't have people's votes disregarded because the election workers make a mistake.

In case you didn't read my above post or don't believe Fox 2, here is a clip from WDIV's story; the votes aren't being thrown out, the validation is being turned over to the state of Michigan to handle.
    The Wayne County Board of Canvassers is not validating votes from the city of Detroit's primary mayoral election and is requesting the validation be turned over to the state of Michigan.
    This request comes after the Board of Canvassers announced Tuesday that Detroit mayoral candidate Benny Napoleon won the city's primary election by 4,421 votes after thousands of votes were thrown out.
    "Our Bureau of Elections is in contact with Wayne County's Board of Canvassers. We don't have any details, so I can't comment right now," said Gisgie Davila Gendreau, communications director at the Michigan Department of State
    "Our opponents tried another dirty trick today and it didn't work," said Bryan Barnhill, Duggan's campaign manager. "To its credit, the Board of Canvassers unanimously refused to disenfranchise 18,000 Detroiters who properly cast their write-in votes for Mike Duggan. We're confident the State Elections Division will certify the results of the election properly and make certain that all votes are counted.".
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/p...g/-/index.html
    Last edited by jcole; August-20-13 at 10:30 PM.

ROTFL! Great. Next we'll need Horatio Nelson to sail in for the final battle on the seas, ughhh--the Detroit River.....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Looks like the Napoleonic Wars just getting started, in Detroit!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-13 at 11:55 PM.

To me, this is beyond sad. Just when you thought you'd seen all the incompetence in Detroit you possibly could...... However, it changes nothing, it is merely a technicality. The voters HAVE spoken, their frustration with the current status quo has been made known. Detroit IS looking for change, positive change. On a side note, kudos to both Mr. Napolean and Mr. Duggan for handling this like grown adults, and not like spoiled children flinging dog poo.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-21-13 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Election inspectors handle the count of the write-in vote. They are not "public employees" eligible to receive a pension. They apply to be inspectors and are appointed by the clerk. They are employees only if employees want to use their vacation time to work on election day and apply to work.
    Zacha and others,
    Here is first hand knowledge from a former Chairperson and Sr. Chairperson from 2008 to 2010 [[me):

You must apply to be an election pollworker. You must take a basic reading and writing and math test [[at least I did back in late 2007). Once you pass a notice is sent to you with your title based on the outcome of said test above. Write-ins have been a part of the election process for years but just not on this magnitude. During the 2009 and the School board election of 2010 [[I worked the primary that year but not the General), there were a number of write ins. YOU must use the "tick" method tally for ALL name variations then put the arabic numbering on what is called the Optical Scan, a three part sheet in which each write in candidate must be named if he/she received a vote.

There has been problems in the past with Election workers not comprehending things mentioned in training. For example, I was mandated to attend a 3 hour "beginners" pollworker class at WCCC [[or whatever it is now) at the old Greenfield campus back in 2007. Then, I had to attend a 1 hour mandatory meeting as a Supervisor [[Chairpersons, Sr. Chair, Superpollworkers are considered Supervisors and should have vast knowledged of the Election law but some don't!)

I can tell you as a fact with the number of Detroit residents being appointed Election workers there are some comprehension issues. I am not for one saying that ALL Detroiters can't understand things but at the precincts that I worked at and at several of my training classes there are folks who would not know their ass from their freakin' elbow!! I mentioned this several times to the Administration department and this is one of the reasons why I quit! As the old adage goes, "U can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink!" There are a lot of folks appointed as pollworkers that should not be! That's all I got to say and my apologies for the long diatribe.

Quote Originally Posted by nativegirl View Post
    Zacha and others,
    Here is first hand knowledge from a former Chairperson and Sr. Chairperson from 2008 to 2010 [[me):

You must apply to be an election pollworker. You must take a basic reading and writing and math test [[at least I did back in late 2007). Once you pass a notice is sent to you with your title based on the outcome of said test above. Write-ins have been a part of the election process for years but just not on this magnitude. During the 2009 and the School board election of 2010 [[I worked the primary that year but not the General), there were a number of write ins. YOU must use the "tick" method tally for ALL name variations then put the arabic numbering on what is called the Optical Scan, a three part sheet in which each write in candidate must be named if he/she received a vote.

There has been problems in the past with Election workers not comprehending things mentioned in training. For example, I was mandated to attend a 3 hour "beginners" pollworker class at WCCC [[or whatever it is now) at the old Greenfield campus back in 2007. Then, I had to attend a 1 hour mandatory meeting as a Supervisor [[Chairpersons, Sr. Chair, Superpollworkers are considered Supervisors and should have vast knowledged of the Election law but some don't!)

I can tell you as a fact with the number of Detroit residents being appointed Election workers there are some comprehension issues. I am not for one saying that ALL Detroiters can't understand things but at the precincts that I worked at and at several of my training classes there are folks who would not know their ass from their freakin' elbow!! I mentioned this several times to the Administration department and this is one of the reasons why I quit! As the old adage goes, "U can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink!" There are a lot of folks appointed as pollworkers that should not be! That's all I got to say and my apologies for the long diatribe.
    Thanx for the insite. It's becoming easier to understand what happened. One person looks over @ the other and asks "What are we supposed to do?" the other answers "Well I'm doing such and such". Soon everyone follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Excellent question and observation. An unusual blurt-slip for the generally disciplined Duggan campaign.
    That wasn't a "blurt-slip." Duggan reiterated that Napoleon had a hand in this.

Yep. He's getting into the sand box of fun a bit IMO on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    That wasn't a "blurt-slip." Duggan reiterated that Napoleon had a hand in this.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-13 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanx for the insite. It's becoming easier to understand what happened. One person looks over @ the other and asks "What are we supposed to do?" the other answers "Well I'm doing such and such". Soon everyone follows.
    That sounds about right for a typical person working in Detroit's government.

Then if you question their incompetence, their anti-social response is along the lines of "You don't know who the fuck I am. Don't be disrespecting me!!!"
    Last edited by 313WX; August-21-13 at 08:18 AM.

Awesome points from the perspective of working as an election staffer. Thanks. Would you say the Superpoll and Chairpersons are the ones that last sign off on the poll book or wherever these entries go? They should have noted that absence of hash-mark tallies. For sure having a write-in would have required more time to make all those grouping of roman 5 stikes each option. Looks like it was overlooked at some precincts for the numeric option...

Quote Originally Posted by nativegirl View Post
    ...[[Chairpersons, Sr. Chair, Superpollworkers are considered Supervisors and should have vast knowledged of the Election law but some don't!)

And that is a very 'limiting' response to accountability. For certain it does not play well everywhere, not at all...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Then if you question their incompetence, their anti-social response is along the lines of "You don't know who the fuck I am. Don't be disrespecting me!!!"
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-13 at 08:43 AM.

Bottom line it that voters cannot be dissinfranchised based on numerics alone [[roman vs. standard numeric). I think a recount of the physical ballots is needed and that outcome may still have Duggan in the game, even as second.

He'll be on the ballot for November and the 'write-in' issues will be a non-issue... He just needs to keep his calendars updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

The opinion of the common Detroit is pretty low here and in general. First, the big deal about 'two g's' in a name. Now Detroiters cant read, comprehend or count and we dont even know who the inspectors were. Its a good thing you guys have this website to get all of your condescending, insulting, and low opinions of Detroiters in a safe anonymous. We really wouldnt want that attitutide to show through to Detroiters when you meet them in person.

If these comments were on facebook and people could see your face...whoaboy..

For the record my opinion has always been that indeed Detroiters could, can and did spell Duggan correctly and with deliberation of vote and voice so expressed.

The percentage vote for a 'write-in' was impressive to me withstanding any reservations I had/ have about Duggan. The votes spoke to a diversity of thought not considered possible, and assumptive leaders have been so informed.

Now we have before us a processing issue of said votes. Duggan will remain in the game.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-13 at 08:44 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast