Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Some FM stations can survive as music stations if they have very popular disc jockeys
    Or if...wait for me...

They actually had a diverse playlist of good music, and not just the current top 40 hits!!!

I know, I foreign concept in the era of corporatism...

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    As much as I complain about literally everything, Detroit has some pretty good radio options. It seems like as soon as you leave the orbit of Metro Detroit, the west coast, or the east coast, every other station is new age country or new age Christian [[sorry, I like my church music to sound like Mozart, not some shitty Nickelback wannabe).

101.9 WDET is great for news in the morning, but sometimes their music is a bit too wonky for me. As NPR they allegedly have a liberal stance but to me it is just good, in depth reporting and stories. 90.9 WRCJ is great classical and jazz [[though I feel their classical is stronger.

Fear not, there is relief on your radio dial from the meatheads.
    What Detroit truly lacks though is a good Urban AC station, which is ironic for a city with the largest black population in the country.

The last good one, WGPR, folded back in 2011 to RadioOne.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Or if...wait for me...

They actually had a diverse playlist of good music, and not just the current top 40 hits!!!

I know, I foreign concept in the era of corporatism...

A radio station can play any music they want [[so long as they can find advertisers to pay the bills).

Half the time, they only talk about whatever lights up their phones. You can go for an hour and not hear any sports on some of these channels. What does George Zimmerman have to do with local sports? Having Drew Lane on will only provide for more juvenile and blow hard radio.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Half the time, they only talk about whatever lights up their phones. You can go for an hour and not hear any sports on some of these channels. What does George Zimmerman have to do with local sports? Having Drew Lane on will only provide for more juvenile and blow hard radio.
    You are so correct. Most of these stations need to stick to sports only and do away with the silly topics I hear sometimes, especially on 97.1 in the mornings.

Personally one is more than enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You are so correct. Most of these stations need to stick to sports only and do away with the silly topics I hear sometimes, especially on 97.1 in the mornings.
    Absolutely. I can stomach Stoney in the morning, but Bill McCallister is so clueless he needs to have his listeners pick some mundane topic to talk about, like, "what's your favorite alltime sandwich?"
    Yes, real enlightening radio.

Being a sports nut, I have no problem with multiple sports stations. Competition is good. The only complaint I have is when they talk too much football in the middle of the summer. Heck, anytime they talk Lions, I switch the station.
    Give me pennant chase talk and I'm glued.

I have been trying to give Drew a chance in the afternoon, but so far I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I do not believe he has enough sports intelligence to carry that show. I honestly think I could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Why does Detroit need three sports stations?
    after tuning in on and off this week.... because apparently UM slappies and wal mart wolvies need a spot on the FM dial in Detroit? Maybe I just tuned in at the right times..but wow.

Alternative is badly needed. 97.1 is basically 100 callers per hour of random stuff. I quit listening to it because they got rid of the interviews and insiders and basically have let the callers run the station. So instead of getting some type of information for example from Kevin Allen, we get to hear Peter from Roseville talk to us about what their favorite slider place is. 97.1 is basically catering to the lowest common denominator at this point and am very glad 105.1 is on the air. The best thing is that they actually interview people and have guests. Not have callers voice their opinion on whether neck tattoos are a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You are so right but the morning is basically silly topics and little sports. I used to listen to it when Drew and Mike went off the air and it was unlistenable. The Red Wings would have a playoff game the night before and I'm thinking ok great, Red Wing talk... Nope, it was whether you liked sesame seeds on your hamburger bun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Alternative is badly needed. 97.1 is basically 100 callers per hour of random stuff. I quit listening to it because they got rid of the interviews and insiders and basically have let the callers run the station. So instead of getting some type of information for example from Kevin Allen, we get to hear Peter from Roseville talk to us about what their favorite slider place is. 97.1 is basically catering to the lowest common denominator at this point and am very glad 105.1 is on the air. The best thing is that they actually interview people and have guests. Not have callers voice their opinion on whether neck tattoos are a deal breaker.

They must get paid good money for this type of programming. You routinely hear Stoney talking about his vacations in Vegas and overseas and how he lives in W Bloomfield Twp. Bill just bought a new house. As well as reading newspaper articles on the air. I can read the paper myself and these are things the listeners don't really care about. That's why it's called "Sports Talk Radio" The one cool thing they do though, is have the callers play a quiz game to win tickets for certain sports or entertainment events. Otherwise, just report on the sports scene and related stories, and keep the personal stuff personal.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-17-13 at 05:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2