Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hatch Detroit 2013 semifinalists/voting

Semifinalists for the Hatch Detroit contest were announced last week and voting opened today. You can also vote on Facebook.
    http://hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/vote

Here's some brief info about each one:
    http://hatchdetroit.com/the-contest/...-semifinalists

As a beer drinker, I'm probably most interested to see Batch Brewing Company open up, but there are some solid concepts all around.

While I wish all of the semi finalists luck, I'm burned out on the whole coffee house thing. Restaurants and coffee houses seem to be opening all over the place so I'm voting for more retail or service options. I think that barber concept would work very well downtown with corporate clients and it seems unique. I also think that Busted! has potential as well. Is it me or does there seem to be a movement towards a more small-scale, personalized retail experience? Run Detroit has that model and it could work well for Busted.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    While I wish all of the semi finalists luck, I'm burned out on the whole coffee house thing. Restaurants and coffee houses seem to be opening all over the place so I'm voting for more retail or service options. I think that barber concept would work very well downtown with corporate clients and it seems unique. I also think that Busted! has potential as well. Is it me or does there seem to be a movement towards a more small-scale, personalized retail experience? Run Detroit has that model and it could work well for Busted.
    As a person of years, I often note that the coffee house phenomenon is obviously for the younger ones who can still do caffeine all day long - and not be kept up by it all night.

I voted for Corktown Cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I voted for Corktown Cinema.
    I went for Corktown Cinema, Batch Brewing, Spielhaus Toys and Busted Bra Shop. I think the toys and bra shop are areas that Detroit is fairly underserved in. Anything to encourage families is a good thing. The cinema is another one that is a cool, unique idea that gives entertainment options to an area that doesn't have much outside of bars. Batch Brewing is the one I'm most interested in personally, and I know the guys there have already put a ton into it.

Well, I like that Corktown Cinema isn't downtown or in Midtown, for sure. I'm fine with their concept, but the whole art house film genre isn't really my thing. I'm really excited about Batch, and I'm sure they need money, too. I guess my thing is that they already seem to have a lot of support and their buildout is already underway. They're opening no matter what and they seem like the strongest business out of the finalists IMO. I'll be supporting them with my money [[even though it's not 50K).

I voted for Busted!, Detroit Barber and Shave, Voigt's Soda House, and Mama's Sweet Side.
    Speilhaus is an interesting concept, but what do people on this forum think of it in terms of probability of success? I'm a bit skeptical but I'm certainly not an expert on starting a business. I totally agree that Detroit needs toy stores, but in this day and age of high tech toys, is a retro style toy store going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I voted for Busted!, Detroit Barber and Shave, Voigt's Soda House, and Mama's Sweet Side.
    Speilhaus is an interesting concept, but what do people on this forum think of it in terms of probability of success? I'm a bit skeptical but I'm certainly not an expert on starting a business. I totally agree that Detroit needs toy stores, but in this day and age of high tech toys, is a retro style toy store going to work?
    I think it's a viable model because Detroit is a low-income city. Most Detroit residents can't afford "high-tech." As far as I can tell, they have not limited themselves to be only "old-fashioned" toys either. I like that they intend to do activities for children as well, not just retail toys. I'm curious where they intend to locate though.

But will people be interested in buying the toys? Kids are mostly brainwashed that they need ipads, smartphones, xboxes, etc.

Keep on voting!!! Right through Sunday for this Round 1 voting...

DETROIT, MI – The top four finalists vying for $50,000 as part of the Hatch Detroit retail contest are Batch Brewing Company, Corktown Cinema, HenriettaHaus Coffee Roasters and Spielhaus Toys.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed. Not one of my votes made it to the finals. I wish them all luck, but I'm gonna have to go with Batch.

Finalists announced:
    https://www.facebook.com/HatchDetroit

Batch Brewing
    Corktown Cinemas
    Henrietta Haus Coffee Roasters
    SpielHaus Toys

Good set of finalists, I'd be happy to see Batch, CC or SpielHaus win

Now that I think about it, I actually would be okay with Corktown Cinema. It would add to the entertainment portfolio of the area.

I was torn between the cinema & toy shop. I voted for the toy shop. Toys are still very popular for the youngest of kids...which seems like who they are targeting. Developmental toys and story time sounds like 8 and under to me. Not the 10 year olds that want an iPad and xbox.

But the cinema would be cool too [[depending on location!).

CC is something different than the myriad bars and restaurants that are opening in that area. I'm ok with that, even though the art house stuff is not my cup of tea. I bet the hipsters would love it.

toy stores have been closing, all of them except toys r us. i'm not sure how a modern toy store would still compete. even stores that you took your kids to, to amaze them, like sharper image are gone.

so its down to a coffee shop, a bar and a cinema for me.
    i vote for the cinema. corktown is half bars already for the sports games.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    toy stores have been closing, all of them except toys r us. i'm not sure how a modern toy store would still compete. even stores that you took your kids to, to amaze them, like sharper image are gone.

so its down to a coffee shop, a bar and a cinema for me.
    i vote for the cinema. corktown is half bars already for the sports games.
    I kind of agree here. I don't think we need more bars, and coffee shops feel cliche, not to mention I very rarely stop by them. As a drinker, yeah sure I'd love Batch, but I would like some new options for things to do... new restaurant, new retail, place to catch a movie.

Well, Batch is happening no matter what. They're already building out. When this started, I never thought I'd end up voting for Corktown Cinema, but I have been. That area needs things like this to become more densely populated.

My argument for Spielhaus Toys...I've been a stay-at-home dad for over seven years, in Detroit, with three girls. My social network has primarily become Detroit families and Detroit school networks and I believe this is exactly what Detroit needs.

First of all, when I tell someone I live in Detroit, there are always two questions: where do you shop and where do you send your kids to school. Shopping. Retail. I'm trying to be part of the answer to that question.

When people talk about downtown, they discuss the places to eat, the places to drink, and all of the entertainment options. The complain that Detroit doesn't have a shopping district. I'm trying to be part of the solution to that complaint.

Critics write that Detroit needs to become more attractive to families. That there are many things for young, childless people to do in Detroit, but that there isn't much in terms of family oriented business. I'm trying to address that market need.

It's not as though there are hardly any families in Detroit. There are many who have been here through it all, young couples who are deciding to stay after having children and many more who are making the move into the city with children. And even those without children, whether living here or working downtown, have that niece or nephew or friend's child for whom they have to pick up a present for the birthday party they are heading to on Saturday.

To the argument that toy stores are closing, the contrary is true. Sales at independent toys stores across the nation are growing. New stores are opening every month. Cities like Chicago, Portland, Seattle, and Boston are saturated with magical neighborhood toy stores. The toy store is about the experience and the activities you program as part of the store's existence. Storytimes, children's musicians, magic shows, etc. Just about every major city in the U.S. has their classic toy store. However, like most things Detroit, we don't have one.

Our selection of toys will be, as it's known in the industry, 'specialty'. Essentially, this means that most of our inventory will not overlap with Toys r Us or big box stores. There is an entire manufacturing segment that caters to the independent stores. The products are typically higher quality, educationally based, encourage creative play for the younger children, are often made in the U.S. and some manufacturers focus on eco-friendly processes. A good way to think of a specialty toy is that it's not about what the toy can do, but what the child can do with the toy. We will also carry a selection of games and children's books.

Finally, we would like to open downtown. Ideally, we'd be located east of Woodward, along Grand River, Library, or Broadway. We want to be in close proximity to the Boll YMCA, the PuppetART Theater, and the Skillman Branch of the Detroit Public Library. Not only is there a concentration of families in this area on most days, it is within walking distance of the thousands of workers surrounding Campus Martius and it fits nicely into the recently released placemaking plan for the area surrounding the library.

Our plans for Spielhaus Toys is not Hatch or bust. We plan to open regardless. Hatch, however, will help push up our timeline and improve our chances for success.

Spielhaus Toys