Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 45thParallel View Post
    I lived at Forest Arms in '84/'85. Had the dubious honor of occupying the "bay window" basement apartment on the south end. I believe rent was just under $300.
    Yes, the basement apartments were not so nice, even back in 1968-1971, when I lived at Forest Arms. We lived on the first floor, room 105, if memory is correct. Upper floors, especially the top two, were cleaner, quieter, and better maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I want us all to think long and hard about this. This is the kind of shortsighted behavior that has brought us, in large part, to where we are today: a terrifying city known for its vast tracts of vacant land.
    I totally agree with you, but what do you expect? I mean instead of seeing an insured building rebuilt, repaired and rehabbed within 9 months its taken 5 years. The problem is the fragments of Detroit's valuable neighborhood architecture are held by people with very little money to upgrade these buildings or rebuild after a disaster. Tearing down is the easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Wow. To have the building be vacant for so long as to inspire a "What is this building?" post on DetroitYES! I remember the fanfare of Scott Lowell's announcement that he was going to rescue the building. Now, I'm not saying that it won't happen, eventually, but it's a fact that Lowell owns plenty of properties around town and isn't doing much with them. And that statement is unrelated to all the bad blood various people I know have between themselves and him. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on Forest Arms. But ... yeah, what's the holdup?
    Of the properties I've seen, whether it be having been shown them, having friends live there, etc, most of his properties are pretty alright. Its not stellar, its not Broderick-like living, but its decent to very nice [[I think the Blackstone? Its been a minute, but it looked real nice, even though out of my price range) and he does do some work on them. Not a ton, but he works on them.

When it comes to Forest Arms, like I said, there are often people there working on it, but 1-3 people can only do so much. I agree that it most likely comes down to financing, as thats the only way he could afford to have larger crews in there.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    We lived next to the Bronx Bar in that cool Victorian house in 1969. At the time it wasn't in the best shape, looks better today. One of the other denizens of the building back then told a story about being there the day those porches fell off. I don't know if he was smoking something, but apparently there was a stability problem with the balconies. It's still a fine looking building.
    g:We were neighbors. Perhaps our paths crossed at Ho Ho Inn late nights, or at Henry Drugs [[Third & Forest), where I also worked. Went to the Bronx, from time to time.

According to one of my guys-employee-Detroit guy in the loop- they just installed or are installing a geothermal heating/cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post

When it comes to Forest Arms, like I said, there are often people there working on it, but 1-3 people can only do so much. I agree that it most likely comes down to financing, as thats the only way he could afford to have larger crews in there.
    As one more poster added earlier, there never have been billionaires banging on doors to buy buildings of any sort in Detroit [[with familiar exceptions) so we've had to rely on smaller entities lacking limitless resources to fund these projects.

Add to this, a 90 year old residential structure with this much damage has to be completely re-done, from plumbing/mechanical/electrical to ADA [[disability) compliant. So the staff of 1-3 employees working on it take a back seat to what the plumbers/mechanical/electricians charge, which is hugely significant. But I like their thinking here with the geothermal system, because to do any heating cooling system is such a gigantic cost, that you might as well front-load those costs [[only partially offset by green grants and tax credits), and realize the energy savings [[and environmentally friendliness) as future benefit.

Forest Arms as seen during Dally in the Alley 2016. Restoration nearly completed and occupancy coming soon!

Now:

Then, after 2008 fire:

It would be nice to see pics of the new penthouse apartments on the roof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2