Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

How about the million check left in a city employee drawer for a month. Plenty of room for graft at the city county level. Frankly state auditors must suck at their jobs too.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    How about the million check left in a city employee drawer for a month. Plenty of room for graft at the city county level. Frankly state auditors must suck at their jobs too.
    Checks and balances allowed it to be caught. DPS checks their statements and realizes a large check has not been cashed. They contact the City. The City knows who receives such checks and finds the person stuck it in a drawer and never got back to it.

Independent auditors do the audits and the results are provided to the State. If the political subdivision has a lot of exceptions, the State can withhold revenue sharing and insist they correct any problems. They have done so with Detroit more than once.

The State has always had a lot more authority over what a municipality/county is doing financially than a lot of people seem to realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Checks and balances allowed it to be caught. DPS checks their statements and realizes a large check has not been cashed. They contact the City. The City knows who receives such checks and finds the person stuck it in a drawer and never got back to it.

Independent auditors do the audits and the results are provided to the State. If the political subdivision has a lot of exceptions, the State can withhold revenue sharing and insist they correct any problems. They have done so with Detroit more than once.

The State has always had a lot more authority over what a municipality/county is doing financially than a lot of people seem to realize.
    Nice explanation. Still though, how dumb is that to put a check for that amount in a drawer and forget about it. Actually due to city incompetence 3 yrs ago, they owe me 1500.48. I was given 3 different instructions on how to get it back. I decided a year ago that that was my donation to a troubled city.

I have also dealt with very competent city workers so I am not trying to trash civil service workers.