Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I'm hip! The sort and resort is going to go a while... but per that chart a large amount got the name right. I drove by a couple of precincts to see what was shaking and the lack of Napoleon campaign folks that flank the outside shocked me at a few. Duggan's folks were out there... I think there was some assumption afoot in Bennies camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Anyone who misspelled the word Mike Duggan or Mike Dugeon, their vote will NOT count. Spell their names correctly. I pretty sure that most people got Mike Duggan correctly. So he will be the next front runner for Detroit Mayor. And that is a F.A.K.T!

Several votes were cast for "the white guy Mike Duggan". Can't really dispute who they were voting for.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if Benny doubles down on the" I'm the real Detroiter candidate"
    it's going to be tough to beat having "brought the city's largest employer back from the brink" on your CV

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if Benny doubles down on the" I'm the real Detroiter candidate"
    Napoleon has got a fatal flaw; He dresses like a city slicker - can such a cool dude be trusted again [[shades of Kwame)? On the other hand Duggan always has that slightly unfinished look that goes with being ready for a day's work. I didn't think Duggan could recover from being slimed by Barrow/Davies but now I think he'll win and it's all due to Barrow.

Roll out Tom Barrow, I think Tom Barrow is done......

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    it's going to be tough to beat having "brought the city's largest employer back from the brink" on your CV
    But that is Benny's big, and perhaps only, chance. Turnout for the general election will be larger, and Napoleon will need to motivate as many of these new voters as possible to show up and vote for him.

I foresee an unfortunate return to the 2005 Kilpatrick-Hendrix mayoral campaign, which had a very similar primary result to this one, and a very different campaign dynamic for the November election [[remember "Our Mayor"?). This could get ugly, particularly with all that's happening here now with the fear of "outsiders" taking power, and Benny really has no incentive to not make it so.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-07-13 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    [[remember "Our Mayor"?).
    How can I forget.

Still haven't seen where the Wheel Barrow ended up. The press seems to have forgotten him.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Especially since every DMC employee I've personally met that worked there during Duggan's reign has nothing but great things to say about him and his integrity.

If he laid a bunch of people off and pissed off the workers, it'd be a different story.

Personally, I think the "Napoleon is a Detroiter, but Duggan just moved here" tactic is not very effective. If this was NYC, I could see...an outsider trying to take over a thriving empire is often not taken very well. But for many, in a time when the city is trying to lure people in, it is encouraging to see a qualified [[and wealthy) individual choosing to jump on board with the city. Personally, I want a mayor that actually does stuff well, and not just try to win on saying "I'm like you." I wouldn't want myself as mayor, lol...I want someone that could actually succeed.

Duggan's 40,000+ write-in votes should shut up the race-haters on both sides who've spent the last year telling everyone that Detroit voters wouldn't vote for a white guy because of his race.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Personally, I think the "Napoleon is a Detroiter, but Duggan just moved here" tactic is not very effective. If this was NYC, I could see...an outsider trying to take over a thriving empire is often not taken very well. But for many, in a time when the city is trying to lure people in, it is encouraging to see a qualified [[and wealthy) individual choosing to jump on board with the city. Personally, I want a mayor that actually does stuff well, and not just try to win on saying "I'm like you." I wouldn't want myself as mayor, lol...I want someone that could actually succeed.
    I think everyone believes that being a 'Detroiter' [[whatever that means) is valuable. But when you're sick, you need a Doctor, not a friend. Duggan's the better Doctor. Nothing to do with race. If Duggan were black, I don't think things would be significantly different -- except for Napoleon's attacks and xenophobic slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I see what ya did there.....

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    You want to vote somewhere, you have to fucking live there as a citizen. You want to vote in Detroit, then move there. It's not rocket science. You draw a paycheck here apparently, so just be grateful for that. I pay sales tax when I shop in the suburbs, so how about you let me screw around with your elections? Resident aliens pay taxes, how about we let them elect our president? Please try to think these things through before you start on with your tea party nonsense.

I voted today. #16 at 720 this morning.
    Hit a sore spot maybe?

Sales tax is statewide and it goes to the STATE who then SHARES it with cities, including Detroit. A tax directly due to you working in the city is COMPLETELY different.

Quit trying to assume where I am coming from. It is my personal feelings driven only by ME not a political party.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Duggan's 40,000+ write-in votes should shut up the race-haters on both sides who've spent the last year telling everyone that Detroit voters wouldn't vote for a white guy because of his race.
    I'm still waiting for one of Detroit's larger, 85+% white suburbs to elect a black mayor. Perhaps it's happened but there is never any concern that all majority white communities only elect white mayors.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I'm still waiting for one of Detroit's larger, 85+% white suburbs to elect a black mayor. Perhaps it's happened but there is never any concern that all majority white communities only elect white mayors.
    Wouldn't a black candidate need to run first? They voted for a Black president [[twice)...right?
    Last edited by bailey; August-07-13 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Wouldn't a black candidate need to run first? They voted for a Black president [[twice)...right?
    And how many viable white mayoral candidates have run in Detroit? That doesn't stop people from insisting Detroiters would never vote for a white mayor.

If the strawman argument can be applied to Detroit, why can't I apply it to the suburbs? Is it only fair to presume that black people only vote based on race but the open minded white suburbanites just don't have viable black candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Hit a sore spot maybe?

Sales tax is statewide and it goes to the STATE who then SHARES it with cities, including Detroit. A tax directly due to you working in the city is COMPLETELY different.

Quit trying to assume where I am coming from. It is my personal feelings driven only by ME not a political party.
    Well I hope that you are also complaining about the other 20-30 communities in Michigan that have an income tax. You can push to have income tax abolished in Michigan [[for all communities), quit and find a new job or suck it up and deal with it. You have choices, bitching on a forum won't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    I don't know if it will shut them up, but this is definitely a turning point. Might take another 20 years for them be totally silenced, but the old race baiting on strategy on both sides is definitely not a good long-term investment.

BTW, anyone ever think they'd see a black president in DC and a white mayor in Detroit? Certainly interesting fodder for conversation, regardless of how much [[or how little) meaning one puts into the symbolism.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    LOL LOL good one HT.

And how many viable white mayoral candidates have run in Detroit?
    about as many black ones in the 'burbs?
    That doesn't stop people from insisting Detroiters would never vote for a white mayor.
    wouldn't that be past tense though...as Duggan proved it wrong?

If the strawman argument can be applied to Detroit, why can't I apply it to the suburbs?
    because the suburbs have already knocked it down by voting for the "black guy" twice.

Well I hope that you are also complaining about the other 20-30 communities in Michigan that have an income tax. You can push to have income tax abolished in Michigan [[for all communities), quit and find a new job or suck it up and deal with it. You have choices, bitching on a forum won't change anything.
    My stance is the same for those communities.

I guess you think its fair? I guess its not a valid talking point in your world since I am an "outsider". Sounds like typical Detroit mentality, "It's cool if we take from them, but if they take from us that is WRONG"

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    about as many black ones in the 'burbs?
    wouldn't that be past tense though...as Duggan proved it wrong?

because the suburbs have already knocked it down by voting for the "black guy" twice.
    So voting for a black president overrules any local prejudice. I don't believe that for a second. The reality is [[and you may disagree) is that the locally, the concept that all black people vote alike is overwhelmingly accepted and stated time and time again with little to no basis. This bs argument isn't tied to white people.

It is complete bs and straight up bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    My stance is the same for those communities.

I guess you think its fair? I guess its not a valid talking point in your world since I am an "outsider". Sounds like typical Detroit mentality, "It's cool if we take from them, but if they take from us that is WRONG"
    I do think it is fair since it is legal and people accept jobs knowing there is an income tax in the specific community. Do I think Detroit would be better off if an income tax was never implemented? Absolutely. Do I like that there is an income tax to live/work here? No. Do I pay double what you do since I live/work here? yes.

As for the 'typical Detroiter ' comment, I really have no response because it is just an ignorant statement and has no basis in this conversation. I pay double the income tax rate you do [[And likely more than double you do in real dollars).

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    I agree, and I think 40,000 other Detroiters agree with you. Personally, I didn't think he had a snowball's chance in hell, then the other night I drove through a real 'hood part of Detroit. I was amazed @ the # of Duggan signs on people's lawns. I think: A.) Detroiters aren't as dumb as people make them out to be, and B.) I think Detroiters in general are tired of the City's status quo. I was never a big Duggan supporter from the get go, but after reading candidate interviews and ideas, he swayed me. I'm still not 100% sold on him, but I DO think he is the most qualified for the job. I just hope he isn't all BS.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast