Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so now.. er, two weeks from now-- maybe-- will real issues get prominently discussed?

For me, it's not good enough to say you don't like Orr/the bankruptcy, or even Snyder..
    Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if Benny doubles down on the" I'm the real Detroiter candidate"

So far, I haven't even seen Barrow's name mentioned in results, only something about the court cases.

Imagine that... and I don't think that vote came from a singular type of person or community. But the fat lady has not sung yet!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Duggan may come in first after all the votes are counted. If he does, Benny will have an uphill battle in the general.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So far, I haven't even seen Barrow's name mentioned in results, only something about the court cases.
    He's in 4th place.

When I voted at 7:50pm, I was 232 with a steady stream behind me [[burton library).

Assuming that the "write-in" votes are 90+ percent for Duggan, this victory is very impressive, maybe even stunning. At the last tally the write-ins had way outpolled Napoleon with 53 percent compared to Benny's 30 percent.

Benny should be nervous, very, very nervous. He ran a very minimalist campaign, skipping out on debates or forums when he could, apparently under the mistaken belief that all he had to do was run out the clock and avoid any major gaffes.

I have to take my hat off to the Duggan people. I simply did not think he could do this. Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thank you Zacha, Detroiters can spell. Duggan may not be everyone's candidate, fine with me. He is my choice.

I wish you could see the poetry my neighbor kids write. Outstanding!.

As to non Detroiters who think we are all illiterate louts, sending a loud fart and you all know I wanted to say something else.
    Some other write-in spellings include “Duggen,” “Duggon,” “Droggan,” “Doggan,” and “Diggeu.”
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/...-to-write-ins/

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Assuming that the "write-in" votes are 90+ percent for Duggan, this victory is very impressive, maybe even stunning. At the last tally the write-ins had way outpolled Napoleon with 53 percent compared to Benny's 30 percent.

Benny should be nervous, very, very nervous. He ran a very minimalist campaign, skipping out on debates or forums when he could, apparently under the mistaken belief that all he had to do was run out the clock and avoid any major gaffes.

I have to take my hat off to the Duggan people. I simply did not think he could do this. Very impressive.
    I agree and even though Benny is going to put a positive spin on this he, and his people are going to need to have a different approach to the general election. If Benny has a solid policy platform he better bring it out. The pandering and the I'm more of a Detroiter than you isn't going to work this election. I believe the voters are tired and want to see change but they want to know what that change represents and how are you going to get to that change. I will watch Benny's campaign closely and see if he makes any adjustments.

I have spent most of my life in Detroit. My neighbors are black. Most of our friends are black. Some are gay, no issues.

Barrow pissed me off huge when he played a race card. I really thought we got past that crap.

I want to support people who run who give a damn and can deliver.

We voted and no clue who my husband supported and I am good with that.

I did laugh a little that my black pastor gave me advice, but only when asked. He said Holier but White, another black man was appealing too

Being slightly mean, yes, Detroiters can spell.

I agree and even though Benny is going to put a positive spin on this he, and his people are going to need to have a different approach to the general election. If Benny has a solid policy platform he better bring it out. The pandering and the I'm more of a Detroiter than you isn't going to work this election. I believe the voters are tired and want to see change but they want to know what that change represents and how are you going to get to that change. I will watch Benny's campaign closely and see if he makes any adjustments.
    I agree, at the moment Benny is a one issue candidate. Certainly I will consider all candidates. Duggan leads my choice but totally open to people with a plan.

Detroit is not a dead issue. IT'S OBVIOUS I am a political person. I love this city and want a revival. My neighborhood is awesome, all should be.

Voted for the 1st time as a Detroit resident. I was bombarded with campaign literature on my way to the polls. Someone gave away free lemon heads. I have not had lemon heads for years, they're pretty good. I then spilled said lemon heads all over the booth but utilized the 7 second rule. :-). I then gave the worst interview in the history of interviews to a reporter outside. It was a pretty eventful day. I am positive about the city's future.

Quote Originally Posted by wingedwheel1983 View Post
    Voted for the 1st time as a Detroit resident. I was bombarded with campaign literature on my way to the polls. Someone gave away free lemon heads. I have not had lemon heads for years, they're pretty good. I then spilled said lemon heads all over the booth but utilized the 7 second rule. :-). I then gave the worst interview in the history of interviews to a reporter outside. It was a pretty eventful day. I am positive about the city's future.
    Welcome to Detroit. I do know what you mean about worst interviews, it is ok.

I am so un-photogenic my pics in the news make me look like a troll. All the same, thanks for voting.

Duggan may come in first after all the votes are counted. If he does, Benny will have an uphill battle in the general.
    Before the lawsuits, it looks like...
    1st place Duggan 44,395
    2nd place Napoleon 27,828

YAY! DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN. He's Back! He's ready to become Detroit's first white mayor in 40 years.

Some are arguing rather or not Duggan is in the lead. That fact that he is in [[lead or second) is the deal-maker for him, relative to a 'write in'. Like him or lump him...

Even if he is 'second' his positioning as a 'write in' speaks to a broad, diverse spectrum Detroit response within the black community!

A response the likes of Barrow [[someone I would have NEVER voted for) assumed was not possible!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-07-13 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Some are arguing rather or not Duggan is in the lead.
    lawsuits and spelling debates aside... it's tough to "argue" with a 15,000 vote lead...

I took note of the spelling variation per that link. I think intentionality will be quantified and the Duggan camp can always argue that the double 'GG' closest fo 'Duggan' is for him not the Dugeon write-in. But I don't believe that many Detroit who voted for Duggan mispelled his name. Even if half his ballots are tossed [[which I doubt will happen) he's still second... Duggan just ain't that hard to spell....

Last edited by Zacha341; August-07-13 at 06:53 AM.

Tell me about it... bottom line, Duggan carried a large black broad spectrum vote.

I mention race again because this outcome goes against the thinking that black people are monolithic in thought [[per Barrow et al). No. We don't all think alike and this vote outcome speaks to that rather you voted for Duggan or Napolean or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    lawsuits and spelling debates aside... it's tough to "argue" with a 15,000 vote lead...
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-07-13 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY! DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN. He's Back! He's ready to become Detroit's first white mayor in 40 years.
    Good result Danny, but spare a thank you for Barrow and his side kick Davies who together projected Duggan [[have I got the speling write?) into widespread Public awareness.
    "Hoist by one''s own petard" comes to mind.
    Last edited by coracle; August-07-13 at 05:35 AM.

Here is my prediction for new Detroit City Government for 2013:

for Detroit Mayor

MIKE DUGGAN VS. BENNY NAPOLEON

Duggan writen-in campaign worked like a charm. Advertisements explaining Detroiters to write his name correctly and filling in oval was successful. This is first time on over 80 years that a write in candidate has been elected as a front runner for mayor of Detroit.

Napoleon in the meantime spent weeks getting rid on Duggan by have some guy named 'Dugeon' as a write-in to trick Detroiters to write his name incorrectly, thinking that Duggan will win the primary. His own distraction cost him as a front runner for mayor. He's now number 2 on the Detroiter list.

There will be 58% chance that Duggan will become Detroit's new mayor.

District 1:

JAMES TATE VS. WANDA HILL

Tate has some friends in all the high places. However in his new district his friends will make sure he's name will be in new council district seat.

Hill has her challenges to face I'm not sure what she has done in her district. Some of the folks in her district wants a new face in the seat rather than guy that sits around being a do-nothing. We will have to see come November.

There will be 61% chance that James Tate will become District 1 councilman.

District 2:

GEORGE CUSHINGBERRY JR. VS. RICHARD BOWERS JR.

Since we some new faces in the council race. I don't have any data on both on them. However my eyes in on Cushingberry he could get the seat just by 2 to 5% of the vote.

District 3:

SCOTT BENSON VS. FRANCINE ADAMS

Scott Benson has been running for a Detroit City Council seat for long time. Now he may get his wish. I waiting to see if Adams can come up with some trick to win some folks in the 3rd district.

Benson could win District 3 city council seat just 10 to 15% of the popular vote.

District 4:

ANTON SPIVEY VS. BETTIE SCOTT

Anton Spivey has more loyal Detroiters on his side. Now when it comes to his new district. He friends still loves him for community involvement. He could be the new 'Kwame Kenyatta' on district 4. Bettie Scott must reach out more in her district if she want to grab that seat.

There's a 62% chance that Spivey will become District 4 city councilman.

District 5:

ADAM HOLLIER VS. MARY SHEFFIELD

This will be close race! Mary has her D.A.B.O. church friends and loyalists on her side. Now he must get the undecided and she could win her seat. Adam Hollier has some loyalists, too. He some folks from Indian Village and Lafayette Park that would like him to become District 5 city councilman. This is be a 50 50 chance.

District 6:

RAQUEL CASTENEDA-LOPEZ VS. ISAAC ROBINSON

Raquel could make Detroit city history to become its first Hispanic District 6 city councilwoman. She has tons of Mexican and Hispanic loyalists along the W.Vernor Business District on her side including Springwells Village supporters. Robinson [[ He was at my church just while ago), only has few support in lower SW side and other parts in lower west side of Detroit. He's going to have convince the growing Mexican- Hispanic community that he's the right man for the job.

There is 69% chance that Raquel Lopez would win District 6 city councilwoman seat.

District 7:

GABE LELAND VS. JOHN BENNETT

I have seen John Bennett's name and image over Detroit's ghettohoods for a while. This could be his lucky break for District 7 seat. However Gabe Bennett is rallying up his troops fast. Gabe Leland may get the District 7 seat by 15% of the popular vote.
    Last edited by Danny; August-07-13 at 06:08 AM.

Lots of misspellings in this chart:

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C420976787.PDF

The Barber only got about 30 or 40 votes total.

Hahahha!!!

Love that there were three votes for "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Lots of misspellings in this chart:

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C420976787.PDF

The Barber only got about 30 or 40 votes total.
    Anyone who misspelled the word Mike Duggan or Mike Dugeon, their vote will NOT count. Spell their names correctly. I pretty sure that most people got Mike Duggan correctly. So he will be the next front runner for Detroit Mayor. And that is a F.A.K.T!

For sure... an impressive 'write in' TKO!

Napoleon assumed a certain status quo 'default' vote percentage. Umm, nope. Did not work out that way... Interesting as well that Crittenton pulled her percentage above the others in the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast