Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Do you own or carry a gun?

Where/when do you carry it?

Never go to Detroit with out one.
    Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Where/when do you carry it?

Like car insurance, health insurance, and wallet, always carry it. Hope I never need it, but would rather never need it and have it, than need it and not have it.

^^^^Wykkidx said it all in my opinion. Mine is always with me except in places where I'm not allowed to carry it.

No. There's a disassembled Mauser around here someplace though.

that is a funny question. my only response is I am a damn fine shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    that is a funny question. my only response is I am a damn fine shot.
    feel free to buy me one too.

Yes, not at the moment, but have for years in the past.

Most anyplace I felt like it. I had a CCW before the wholesale law change a few years back, there weren't many restrictions at the time.

Own, yes. Carry no. A 10 gauge double barrel shotgun always seems a bit tacky at a Denny's or in a tavern. Several knives and some brass knuckles seem a bit more appropriate and people seem to appreciate your lack of visible hostility.

10 gauge, WOW. Id like to see that. Ive only heard about them.

I feel that more guns equal more problems. Is there any other country that allows such behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post

I feel that more guns equal more problems. Is there any other country that allows such behavior?
    Iraq, Libya, Syria Afghanistan, Many places in Africa.....

Said it before, but I am amused by the bumper sticker, "An armed Society, is a polite society. No particular interest in guns. No interest in the ARA. A gun is a tool no more no less. An educated population is the key as to appropriate use.

When I lived in New Mexico, guns were everywhere, they just had to visible. One or two homicides in the whole state per year. People were educated as to appropriate use.

Our oldest son, wanted a gun, did a paper route, paid for his classes. He was 13. My sister bought him his first gun. due to his age, it was registered in my husbands name. He collects guns now as a man in his 30's. He has a concealed weapons licence now but took classes in Nevada. He doesn't carry. It's just a conceit.

The US Government does not "allow such behavior", rather it is the US Constitution's Bill of Rights that guarantees the right of the individual to keep and bear arms and protects that right from infringement by the government.

I do but I dont advertise it I would rather have the element of surprise then be the center of attention. I carry a small .380 body guard in the summer to keep it concealed and in the winter I go with a .45 glock with the heavier winter clothing.
    I come from a hunting family and got my first 20ga shotgun when I was 13.
    Even though I carry I disagree on many issues of the NRA I have no problem with all the back ground checks.

I'm not a gun fanatic, in fact I don't even like them. Just curious if you've ever seen an 8 gauge or a 4 gauge shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Said it before, but I am amused by the bumper sticker, "An armed Society, is a polite society. No particular interest in guns. No interest in the ARA. A gun is a tool no more no less. An educated population is the key as to appropriate use.

When I lived in New Mexico, guns were everywhere, they just had to visible. One or two homicides in the whole state per year. People were educated as to appropriate use.

Our oldest son, wanted a gun, did a paper route, paid for his classes. He was 13. My sister bought him his first gun. due to his age, it was registered in my husbands name. He collects guns now as a man in his 30's. He has a concealed weapons licence now but took classes in Nevada. He doesn't carry. It's just a conceit.
    Hmmm a quick Google check reveals that New Mexico has a higher murder rate than Michigan and even Illinois or New York.

murder rate per 100,000 in order from highest to lowest

New Mexico 6.9
    Michigan 5.7
    Illinois 5.5
    New York 4.5

Twenty-five years of carrying was enough for me. When I retired from the DPD in 1984 I put it away in the night stand and it has been there ever since.

Of course, I no longer live in Michigan.

Ray what gun did you carry on duty

It was only in the last couple of years that i could accept the fact that my neighborhood, where i was born, raised and returned to years after college might require a gun to protect us. My husband got his CPL. I can't tell you how many books, pamphlets and articles i read about the pros and cons. Many. I also talked to two girlfriends who carry. The one thing that i heard over and over was the question, if i was in a position and pulled it out, would i be able to shoot to kill? I have never been able to answer that with a definitive yes. So the answer to Do I Own or Carry a Gun, is no. Should I? Yes. But i don't want to be part of the gun carrying public that is a problem, don't want to be the one who is disarmed and shot with her own gun. I could list many reasons why i should get a CPL, and one why i shouldn't. At least now that one reason i shouldn't, outweighs the others. Lily
    Last edited by Lily; November-18-13 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add missing punctuation

I bought a new one I really like a Springfield XDS .45 it's really compact shoots great and it's a .45 so it has knock down power. After what happened with the guy that hit that kid and the mob attack after I won't leave home without it