Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Anti-gentrification is tribalism. Fighting against good from the outside is folly.
    Well, if we're talking Mexicans, they've only been 1000x more positive to SW Detroit than hipsters moving in for a few years from Shelby Twp. Is there any hipster presence west of Clark Park? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Tribal thinking is a natural human weakness. We do best for ourselves and our tribe when we trade and share with others.

Anti-gentrification is tribalism. Fighting against good from the outside is folly. Instead of fighting gentrification, communities would be helped more by learning how to profit from gentrification.
    Thats one way of looking at it.
    Maybe the original tribes are holding some bad feeling directed at the newcomers. They could likely wonder why it is that better stores and ammenties don't arrive until the newcomers are there. Why police presence and responses improve only after the newcomers are there. I imagine that sends a pretty negative message about the original tribe's worth

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Thats one way of looking at it.
    Maybe the original tribes are holding some bad feeling directed at the newcomers. They could likely wonder why it is that better stores and ammenties don't arrive until the newcomers are there. Why police presence and responses improve only after the newcomers are there. I imagine that sends a pretty negative message about the original tribe's worth
    Except that the first "tribe" [[I assume we mean Mexicans) has no idea the second "tribe" [[I assume we mean hipsters) even exists. The only way Tribe 1 would see large numbers of Tribe 2 would be at Honeybee, maybe. And I don't think the bulk of Mexicans shop at Honeybee, which is expensive and isn't where they live.

The OPs post suggests that graffiti is a sign of a 'widening divide'.

The media loves sensationalism.

We should always remember that radicals can be a 'sign' of the future -- but more often they are simply a fringe.

So a person or two spraypaints. And we react as if there's really something going on?

Probably someone just craving attention -- and probably a hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    are there any local community organizations, block clubs, houses of worship, etc., that can sponsor some type of ongoing "get together" forum where the "new" folks and the "established" folks can come together for socialization and dialogue?
    That is sweet. We do that. People would be amazed at just what Detroiters do.

Neighbors just want good neighbors. I used to be serious active but now in slo mo, personal reasons. I am always amazed, impressed by locals. My neighborhood is just the best. Small issue a few weeks back and its gone and a done issue.

I like to kid about hipsters, but I like them. I like anyone who agrees to live according to the laws of the land and love them twice if they are improving the community.

totally agree. I like the "kids" that have moved in. They make a point to get to know neighbors.

This seems appropriate to leave here. Apparently hipsters are flocking to Detroit from all over the world. The pictures certainly show a fun and interesting road trip from SFO, but with many hipster elements - even stereotypical PBR.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ikknh

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I like to kid about hipsters, but I like them. I like anyone who agrees to live according to the laws of the land and love them twice if they are improving the community.
    They don't bother anyone, clean up after themselves, spend money, and don't cause crime. Whats not to like about them.

^^^ I can sign on to that. The more the merrier... but I can do without all the graffiti from all parties!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-13 at 01:35 PM.

Bham1982: Who are all those Spanish looking/speaking folks that live in the
    area and shop at Honeybee?

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    ...take the action of as little as one person & act as if it reflects sentiments in a wider area.
    Ding.

There are racist white people. There are racist black people.

Then there's the vast majority of folks who don't care.

It's funny how one person with a can of spray paint gets blown up in the newspaper as a "widening divide in Detroit neighborhood".

The person who sprayed those things is intolerant, ignorant, and wants to promote further decay in his neighborhood, instead of new investment and families.

The vast majority of Detroiters, black, white, or green would welcome new folks to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Bham1982: Who are all those Spanish looking/speaking folks that live in the
    area and shop at Honeybee?
    You see Castillians or Catalans at Honeybee? I assume you mean "Mexican-looking" people.

I never said Mexicans don't shop at Honeybee; I said they generally don't know anything about hipsters, and don't generally live or shop where hipsters live or shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    They don't bother anyone, clean up after themselves, spend money, and don't cause crime. Whats not to like about them.
    Talking to my neighbors in Woodbridge who've been there for generations, they are happy to see the students and hipsters moving in. They generally take good care of their property, aren't very disruptive and some even volunteer and help keep the community strong. That's what I strive to be, since I was raised to be a good neighbor and to try and contribute..

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You see Castillians or Catalans at Honeybee? I assume you mean "Mexican-looking" people.

I never said Mexicans don't shop at Honeybee; I said they generally don't know anything about hipsters, and don't generally live or shop where hipsters live or shop.
    I didn't realize La Colemena, the Honey Bee Market, that's existed for over 35 years, that I know of, in the oldest Mexican section of Detroit, was a hipster store. I guess I'm "hipper" then I thought. Other then that, kids will be kids. They have a right to let their hair grow, wear their pants below their butts, pierce and tattoo all the body parts that can stand the pain, because it's their time to do this. As far as the "Great Divide" the writer speaks of, it's plain BS. I'm sure ALL the Mexicans didn't have a community meeting and elect an individual to go forth and spray-paint their sentiments on a building wall. One ass-clown, one spray-can, one sentiment, one filler article, nothing to see here folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I didn't realize La Colemena, the Honey Bee Market, that's existed for over 35 years, that I know of, in the oldest Mexican section of Detroit, was a hipster store.
    I'm not saying it's exclusively a hipster grocery, but it's the only grocery store on that end of SW, and Mexicans generally live on the other end of SW [[and there are multiple groceries on that end).

And yes, Clark Street area is the original Mexicantown, but I'm talking where Mexicans actually live, in 2013.

One bout of graffiti means little.

No offense Bham, but there are PLENTY of Mexicans living around "Mexican Town", hence the reason for the name and the existance of those restaurants. Clark Park was not Mexican per se when we used to skate in Clark Park. [[on REAL ice, not an app) The bulk of the Mexican populace is going West, [[around Vernor & Springwells), and also Northwest, [[McGraw & Central). I welcome anyone who pays taxes, takes care of their property, keeps their nose clean, and adds value to the City.

pretty sure Honey bee has a Mexican clientele. I am a very good cook, no chef. I cook Greek, Italian, German, French but my favorite is Tex Mex. The best produce and ingredients found there for my favorites.

My alley is paved and garage got painted [[tagged), no bfd, We covered it over. We seriously welcome a younger crowd.

Saw a group of twenty somethings looking to buy a carriage house and restore it. Mixed race [[for those who care) collective maybe. Don't care, if they are good neighbors works for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2