Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

[QUOTE=ct_alum;396947]You are correct. DPD began hiring people with criminal records under the guise of "Affirmative Action". The mechanism to push unqualified people up the ranks is called a charter promotion. It is used to promote people who didn't score high enough on the test but who are politically connected or having sex with a supervisor. These people are referred to as someone who is "chartered".

Do you have proof of this statement?

[QUOTE=48205to24;396949]
    Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    You are correct. DPD began hiring people with criminal records under the guise of "Affirmative Action". The mechanism to push unqualified people up the ranks is called a charter promotion. It is used to promote people who didn't score high enough on the test but who are politically connected or having sex with a supervisor. These people are referred to as someone who is "chartered".

Do you have proof of this statement?
    What kind of proof are you requesting and why? Looking to cost somebody their job? Perhaps Ray1936 can comment as he is retired and presumably has nothing to lose.

[QUOTE=ct_alum;396986]
    Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post

What kind of proof are you requesting and why? Looking to cost somebody their job? Perhaps Ray1936 can comment as he is retired and presumably has nothing to lose.
    Affirmative action began with the election of Coleman Young. To some degree it was appropriate because the number of black officers was very minimal and nowhere near representative of Detroit's population. While I've heard rumors of recruits having troubled backgrounds, I don't know of any specific cases. I think it's more an urban legend than fact.

Promotions were another thing. The "charter promotions" turned some idiots into supervisors. Not that we didn't have any white idiot supervisors, but it seemed like some black charter promotees had a degree of arrogance that just burned me up. I dunno, not being black myself, maybe that arrogance was just part of the comeuppance. Who knows.

Anyway, in 1980, I darn near aced the lieutenant's exam and had a perfect interview score. I ended up 14 on the list. They made 20 lieutenants off that list. However, they had to promote one black for each one white sergeant. All the first 20 on that list were white. So I retired as a sergeant. But what the heck, life's too short to be bitter.

The sex factor? I'm not going there. I'm too damn old to think about that can of worms.