Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Jack Scott

Default Jack Scott

Does anybody know where Detroit's biggest fifties rock star lived?

He was from Windsor, moved to Hazel Park. He still lives here

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    He was from Windsor, moved to Hazel Park. He still lives here
    thanks for the info

Ever hear of Bill Haley? Spent his childhood in Highland Park? Had a band called the Comets?

Jack Scott was, I think, more popular sales-wise and arguably more influential, especially in rockabilly circles. Another Detroiter who belongs in the rock and roll hall of people Jann Wenner likes.

Besides, Bill Haley grew up and began his career outside Philly
    Last edited by rb336; July-30-13 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Jack Scott was, I think, more popular sales-wise and arguably more influential, especially in rockabilly circles. Another Detroiter who belongs in the rock and roll hall of people Jann Wenner likes.

Besides, Bill Haley grew up and began his career outside Philly

I was just kidding, really. Of course Haley didn't break out in Detroit. He was just a kid in Detroit in the 1930s, though I think he did play here.

But to say that Jack Scott sold more records and was more influential -- outside of a narrow group of rockabilly fans -- doesn't seem to hold up. I know how it is, though; people who love Jack Scott REALLY love Jack Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I was just kidding, really. Of course Haley didn't break out in Detroit. He was just a kid in Detroit in the 1930s, though I think he did play here. But to say that Jack Scott sold more records and was more influential -- outside of a narrow group of rockabilly fans -- doesn't seem to hold up. I know how it is, though; people who love Jack Scott REALLY love Jack Scott.
    "Rock Around the Clock" probably sold more than all of Jack's hits combined BUT [[and I just looked this up in my Joel Whitburn book) Jack Scott had more Top 10 hits in Billboard than Bill Haley had, and almost as many hits overall. It's a fact that Jack Scott was not a cult artist in his time but an actual Star.. And one of the best artists of his time because he mostly wrote his own tunes, many of which are excellent..
    Last edited by d'oh; July-30-13 at 08:21 PM.

There is something on his website that he is playing the Warren B'day bash 8/24, but Warren has NOTHING on the schedule for the bash

Quote Originally Posted by d'oh View Post
    "Rock Around the Clock" probably sold more than all of Jack's hits combined BUT [[and I just looked this up in my Joel Whitburn book) Jack Scott had more Top 10 hits in Billboard than Bill Haley had, and almost as many hits overall. It's a fact that Jack Scott was not a cult artist in his time but an actual Star.. And one of the best artists of his time because he mostly wrote his own tunes, many of which are excellent..
    Well, lookie there. I learned sumptin'.

Thanks, d'oh!