Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Even if that were true, they clearly don't have the resources to patrol outside of WSU's campus.

Besides that, what benefit would it have to them doing so?
    Well, students/faculty/staff not being mugged or having cars stolen for starters...

And they clearly do have the resources because they clearly do patrol outside of WSU's campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    As I understand WSU cops have jurisdiction in all of Detroit and are not just limited to the Corridor. If I am wrong I would like to know.

Exactly, WSUPD are sworn DPD officers. they have the same jurisdiction as DPD. The only difference is that they are the elite DPD officers, all have college education and are paid more. they also are paid by WSU. Essentially theey are a precinct with different uniforms and patrol area. But a WSUPD can pull you over on 6 mile if he was out there.

They will also occasionally go out away from WSU if a WSU student is involved in something.

I agree with illwill.

I initially the thread would be about someone stealing from the Whole Foods.

illwill has not said why he/she thought the police were called, based on my thread title; only that my title was misleading.

You agree with illwill, and you thought there had been stealing, even though I only said the police were called.

Was there something in my thread title to cause you to think of stealing?

Why is the thread misleading, when all that I said was that the police were called to Whole Foods?

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I am actually glad that someone called the police. While this may seem like a minor incident, there are regularly cases in which infants die because they are left in hot cars in the summer. In this case, the engine was left running and the air conditioning was probably on, but that is still quite negligent.
    Thank you Cman, never ever left my kids unattended though sometimes tempted. Kids are work, have them... be responsible.

How do we know they were really cops? Sometimes hard to tell these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Interesting. My first thought was "I wonder what happened?"
    Welp, I guess my Detroiter instinct got the best of me.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Well, students/faculty/staff not being mugged or having cars stolen for starters...

And they clearly do have the resources because they clearly do patrol outside of WSU's campus.
    I don't think Woodbridge counts as "outside of WSU's campus." I've never seen the WSU police at 7 Mile and Gratiot or Vernor and Junction. And again, how does WSU benefit from patrolling or responding to crimes in the aforementioned areas?
    Last edited by 313WX; July-30-13 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    illwill has not said why he/she thought the police were called, based on my thread title; only that my title was misleading.

You agree with illwill, and you thought there had been stealing, even though I only said the police were called.

Was there something in my thread title to cause you to think of stealing?

Why is the thread misleading, when all that I said was that the police were called to Whole Foods?
    My thought process was the police arrived to Whole Foods in response to a robbery, or an attempted robbery, given how big of a problem shrinkage is in the city.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-30-13 at 05:49 PM.

Welp, I guess my Detroiter instinct got the best of me.
    NP. Living where we do, sometimes you can't help it. However, I was serious with my smart-ass comments. In today's world, WHAT was she thinking??????
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-30-13 at 06:28 PM.

I don't think Woodbridge counts as "outside of WSU's campus." I've never seen the WSU police at 7 Mile and Gratiot or Vernor and Junction. And again, how does WSU benefit from patrolling or responding to crimes in the aforementioned areas?
    A lot of WSU students, employees and profs live in the surrounding areas. WSU probably wants safe places for its 30K population to live. It also helps for it not to be in the middle of a warzone, for recruiting purposes. Students do occasionally step foot off campus.
    Last edited by TexasT; July-30-13 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    A lot of WSU students, employees and profs live in the surrounding areas. WSU probably wants safe places for its 30K population to live. It also helps for it not to be in the middle of a warzone, for recruiting purposes. Students do occasionally step foot off campus.
    I don't disagree with your sentiment [[except for the part about the warzone, which I think is ill-informed hyperbole at best). I was merely responding to an earlier post that hinted the WSU should be able to respond to crimes all across the city. The department only has 54 officers [[thus limited manpower and resources), and has no reason to respond to crimes outside of WSU's campus [[and I guess I have a different definition of WSU's campus, as I lump the DMC and Woodbridge into WSU's campus), even if they have the jurisdiction to do so.

And also, I would imagine that having 54 officers patrol an area that's only 1 or 2 sq. mi. area would naturally net a much higher emergency response time, and thus lower crime rate, than having roughly 2,500 officers patrol 143 sq. mi.

except for the part about the warzone, which I think is ill-informed hyperbole at best
    Oh jeez, lighten up. I live in the area. My point was, WSU has an interest it the area around it NOT turning into a warzone.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Oh jeez, lighten up. I live in the area. My point was, WSU has an interest it the area around it NOT turning into a warzone.
    All college campuses have police departments, even U of M. It's not as if this is something unique to WSU. And while you're, in a passive-aggressive way, describing the areas outside of midtown/downtown in a condescending way as they fight an even tougher battle against the high rate of crime rates in their neighborhoods, keep in mind WSU wouldn't be able to do jack shit to prevent crime in Midtown if it weren't for all of the dough rolling in from its Alumni and the Federal/State Government, both of which are things these so-called war zones you refer to DON'T have the benefit of receiving.

All college campuses have police departments, even U of M. It's not as if this is something unique to WSU. And while you're, in a passive-aggressive way, describing the areas outside of midtown/downtown in a condescending way as they fight an even tougher battle against the high rate of crime rates in their neighborhoods, keep in mind WSU wouldn't be able to do jack shit to prevent crime in Midtown if it weren't for all of the dough rolling in from its Alumni and the Federal/State Government, both of which are things these so-called war zones you refer to DON'T have the benefit of receiving.
    Um, I think you are reading things in my posts that are not there.

Never inferred that it's odd that WSU has its own police.

Never said other areas are warzones. I said WSU has an interest in its surrounding areas not being one.

You are being overly sensitive.

Can I get a copy of 313WX's OFFICIAL WSU CAMPUS MAP?

My thought process was the police arrived to Whole Foods in response to a robbery, or an attempted robbery, given how big of a problem shrinkage is in the city.
    Well 313WX, of course.

I too jumped to a conclusion as I encountered the scene. That is why I described - in my original post - that those of us standing by felt rather sheepish for assuming there had been a robbery, after watching the mother being questioned.

But would you agree that it was your own thought process [[and I suppose illwill's, too), rather than anything that I said in the thread title, that was "misleading"?

[Of course, leaving your little ones in the car [[one was a tiny one, a baby) is a crime too.]

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Well 313WX, of course.

I too jumped to a conclusion as I encountered the scene. That is why I described - in my original post - that those of us standing by felt rather sheepish for assuming there had been a robbery, after watching the mother being questioned.

But would you agree that it was your own thought process [[and I suppose illwill's, too), rather than anything that I said in the thread title, that was "misleading"?

[Of course, leaving your little ones in the car [[one was a tiny one, a baby) is a crime too.]
    I will admit that I jumped to a conclusion.

That said, your thread title was vague. This is Detroit after all and you're talking about Police arriving to the first national grocery store to open in the city in nearly 5 years. So I think it was easy enough to jump to conclusions based off that.

I think WSU police go outside of WSU on occasion. I have seen them as far north as Euclid and down south by Temple.

I'm glad they come out of their said jurisdiction. Whole Foods is not trying to have an incident this early in the game I suppose. Their security at the front door are equipped with a side arm.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Can I get a copy of 313WX's OFFICIAL WSU CAMPUS MAP?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-01-13 at 05:54 AM.

So, the introduction of "Well, it happened..." as highlighted in the DYES active threads summary was not meant to incite imagery?

Yeah, right.

I heard there was a shooting that involved someone taking a shopping cart off Whole Foods property.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2