Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Most suburban parents aren't interested in the libertarian dreams of the Wesley Mouchs of the world. They want good local schools that provide their kids with a good education. But right now, the confluence of Republican theology combined with corporate greed has led to an effort to undermine that entire system of local public schools. The question is whether those efforts will be stopped before they do so much damage that the system of schools that most parents want can't be put back together again.

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    Of course education is all that matters, but it the system is not educating them they should be called out. After 10 years of state control, the state is responsible. They either put the resources together for a better system or stop trying to lie...uh use million dollar marketing strategies to say their failing system will work.

If the U.S wants to remain a superpower it needs to ensure all kids are educated. I know the free public school system was one of reasons people came here, because you could come from nothing and be something. No longer the case.

Its not just poor black kids in the cities either, its poor white kids in rural areas and working class areas as well.

So do you have a list of good school these parents can pick from? Because I dont see many.
    As I understand it from reading various threads here in DetroitYes, the state EM only controls the financial and facilities part of the schools and the school board still controls the curriculum and teachers. If i got that wrong, pleas disabuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    ...So do you have a list of good school these parents can pick from? Because I dont see many.
    Yes, after about 3 seconds of searching I found that this information is widely available on the net -- as well as school rankings and descriptions.

Yet, you didnt list them.
    LOL.... the majority in this city are not up to par.
    If they were working then there would only be only elephant in the room and that would be crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    As I understand it from reading various threads here in DetroitYes, the state EM only controls the financial and facilities part of the schools and the school board still controls the curriculum and teachers. If i got that wrong, pleas disabuse me.
    Like I said my kids arent old enough school yet, so I am not clear on all that either. But I think the EM got more power with the passed of the PA[[??) the new EM law. Besides the people who control the finances pretty much control everything. They distribute the money as they see fit.

What is so wrong with saying the EM is not working for the schools? Its not.
    Maybe the 'powers that be' share the same beliefs as W.Mouch.
    However, if the government [[whoever is running the system) is responsible for providing good public education, then we shouldnt be taxed for it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Most suburban parents aren't interested in the libertarian dreams of the Wesley Mouchs of the world. They want good local schools that provide their kids with a good education. But right now, the confluence of Republican theology combined with corporate greed has led to an effort to undermine that entire system of local public schools. The question is whether those efforts will be stopped before they do so much damage that the system of schools that most parents want can't be put back together again.
    I don't accept your argument that you know what's best. Nor do I accept your position that public schools were idyllic until undermined by evil right-wingers who are making untold profits.

I'm always suspicious of stereotypes, but your argument is so stereotypically liberal. We know what's best for yours kids. We know what you are thinking. And since we know what you're thinking, we'll impose our system on you because we know what's good for you. Oh, and by the way, there's no room for dissent since we're right.

The rot of the public education model preceeded the liberation of students by the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I don't accept your argument that you know what's best. Nor do I accept your position that public schools were idyllic until undermined by evil right-wingers who are making untold profits.

I'm always suspicious of stereotypes, but your argument is so stereotypically liberal. We know what's best for yours kids. We know what you are thinking. And since we know what you're thinking, we'll impose our system on you because we know what's good for you. Oh, and by the way, there's no room for dissent since we're right.

The rot of the public education model preceeded the liberation of students by the right.
    I think when it comes to the schools there is enough blame to go around. All of the stakeholders can be blamed for this mess. For example as much as I think unions are the key for americans getting into the middle class I think the educational unions have overreached to the extent that they didn't want to accept any kind of accountability for there membership. It wasn't until they saw the handwriting on the wall that they would even come to the table on teacher evaluations. They were too interested in getting more teachers to pay union dues rather than be concerned about the quality of the existing teachers. Also another stakeholder the parents can't be held blameless. Too many parents want the schools to be there day time babysitter. They don't have their children physically, behaviorally or emotionally ready to attend school. Its easy to pick on the administrators, teachers, right wing politicians and yes they have a role as well but the problem is more nuance than only corporate greed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5