Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    There wasn't any of the usual BS that makes me drop a store.

Electronics weren't locked behind glass.

There was no bag checker. I'll put up with at a place I signed up to shop at. But a trashy low rent place like Walmart? Please.
    All of those security measures cost extra money. Do you think stores WANT to do that, or do you think they do it out of necessity?

If they can't make a profit, they will not operate in Detroit. Simple as that.

I doubt Family Dollar in Dearborn wants to pay for a gun-toting security guard to protect its store, but they have to now. Don't blame the stores, it's not their fault that people target them for crime at higher rates in certain areas than in others.
    Last edited by aj3647; July-27-13 at 12:30 PM.

The store opening was even covered by Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss...eally-matters/

Let the shoplifting begin!!!

There's security in every corner, WATCH OUT!

It is a shame that the so-called city's dignitaries weren't at the opening of Meijer as they were at the opening of Whole Foods and the Somerset Collection two years ago. I am more excited when a retail store or market open in the city that meet the needs of us lower to middle income folks that the upper income ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It is a shame that the so-called city's dignitaries weren't at the opening of Meijer as they were at the opening of Whole Foods and the Somerset Collection two years ago. I am more excited when a retail store or market open in the city that meet the needs of us lower to middle income folks that the upper income ones.
    They were, there was a opening ceremony the day before the grand opening

I stand corrected

Many stores in the D have armed security with the exception of Family Dollar, and they are robbed often for the absence. It will be curious to see what the Dearborn location will do. Suburbs are not accustom to having armed guards in their dollar store but things may change.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I doubt Family Dollar in Dearborn wants to pay for a gun-toting security guard to protect its store, but they have to now. Don't blame the stores, it's not their fault that people target them for crime at higher rates in certain areas than in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Many stores in the D have armed security with the exception of Family Dollar, and they are robbed often for the absence. It will be curious to see what the Dearborn location will do. Suburbs are not accustom to having armed guards in their dollar store but things may change.
    I am wondering if all suburban stores will have armed security after [[if) a group of Detroit teens suddenly decide to commit a series of armed robberies at various national stores throughout every suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I am wondering if all suburban stores will have armed security after [[if) a group of Detroit teens suddenly decide to commit a series of armed robberies at various national stores throughout every suburb.
    Why do you all continue to kid yourselves? Thousands of those "Detroit" teens have already moved the precious suburbs en masse, with all their problems. Welcome to hell.

Went by today. The parking lot around Meijer itself was completely packed. My wife and I did venture into the Petco. Very nice store.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    That is serious rude. Racist too! Last I looked, lots of recent horrific crimes have occurred in burbs. Oh my, by white folk?

I applaud Detroiters for embracing the "It takes a Village to raise a child" concept. I talk about my kids, meaning local children.

I think our collective efforts make a huge difference. I play such a small part in this movement but let me remind everyone, I am female, old, white, a feminist, well educated, a Detroiter and really hate bigotry.

I can also be vulgar, so piss off on that statement! If I have a bias it has to do with stupid people!

My 16 month old son and I decided to check this place out Saturday morning as it's now probably the closest Meijer to our Huntington Woods home [[it may be a close second behind The Royal Oak Meijer).

Different set up than I am used to with the grocery section being more in the center of the store and the general merchandise items being on the outer ring. I noticed they have some cool Detroit theme items such as some Detroit art and an "M-102" sweatshirt.

The staff looked happy and excited to be there for the most part. Crowds were not crazy and everyone was behaving themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Maybe there are a lot of Ferndale people who never cross 8 Mile, but I don't know them.
    I take it you don't know a lot of Ferndaliens. We're not all cowering in fear of 8mile. Some of us even live near it. And cross it, sometimes even on bikes!

I think a lot of South Oakland residents that are tired of the trip to 15 and Coolidge just might take a chance on crossing 100 yards into the city to shop here. I know a lot won't, but most people I associate with here in Ferndale will.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    I take it you don't know a lot of Ferndaliens. We're not all cowering in fear of 8mile. Some of us even live near it. And cross it, sometimes even on bikes!

I think a lot of South Oakland residents that are tired of the trip to 15 and Coolidge just might take a chance on crossing 100 yards into the city to shop here. I know a lot won't, but most people I associate with here in Ferndale will.
    Did you misread my quote? That is pretty much what I said!

And let's not set aside the suburban teen problem and agnst already there. A great combination indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Why do you all continue to kid yourselves? Thousands of those "Detroit" teens have already moved the precious suburbs en masse, with all their problems. Welcome to hell.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-29-13 at 10:58 AM.

Did you misread my quote? That is pretty much what I said!
    Derp. This Ferndalien can't read. Need more coffee. Sorry.

Maybe there are a lot of Ferndale people who never cross 8 Mile, but I don't know them.
    Bunch of us are crossing and enjoying the new store. Feel very safe. No worries and I like that can walk their or ride my bike [[done it twice). Great job, Meijer! Thanks!!

This new Meijer Detroit store better work. Long ago Kroger put their Detroit store on E. 7 Mile Rd. and Gratiot Ave. and didn't work out.

After going a second time...I had to buy more stuff and covered pretty much the entire store...I have some additional observations. Even though I am appreciative...and it's not obvious "ghetto" elements...I did notice a few things:

- The store definitely has fewer offerings than other Meijer's locations. Groceries are probably on par with others, however the movie section consists of exactly one shelf. Not a long shelf, but a single shelf with about 15-20 titles inside of big clear plastic security boxes. Same for music...one single shelf. The electronics section is very limited too. Housewares, outdoors supplies, and automotive are limited too. Perhaps they're specializing towards what likely customers will mostly buy [[groceries, pharmacy items, & cheap clothes). Personally, I'm not missing out, because Meijer is always more expensive than amazon when it comes to blu rays, CD's, and electronics...so I always buy those types of items online anyway.

- The fact that there are fewer products [[and a slightly smaller store) is seen by how wide the aisles are compared to other Meijer's. This is nice in the grocery section...but I think it was likely done as filler more than for some sense of convenience.

- Busy first week...I know...but they need to get their grocery cart situation in check. They were all over the parking lot when I went there. Especially in the part of the lot just West of the store where there are no Meijer cart returns.

- Other than those issues, I'm still happy to have a great grocery shopping option right in the city. Whole Foods is decent, but not really my typical brands. Meijer has had plenty of everything I get...and it still feels weird that the store is actually open. I remember there being an abandoned neighborhood with prostitutes looking at drivers going by.

I hope that the store is here to stay and other developers jump on the bandwagon. the entry-level jobs at a Meijer obviously don't pay great, but especially for young people they are a gateway for continued mainstream employment-

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I heard an interview with one of the mgt from Meijer who said it wasn't going to be 24 hrs because they wanted consistency with the other stores in that strip mall that close earlier. Plus, they figured most of their customers rely on public transportation, & they wanted to be open during hours of more frequent bus service.

Incidentally, Meijer stores in Ohio ARE NOT 24/7.
    That's definitely not true. I live less than a mile away from one in Cincinnati [[actually IN the city, it has a Cincinnati address), it's open 24/7.

It's a good store, I shop there all the time. It's popular with the locals, it competes well against the hometown grocery chain [[Kroger's is HQd in Cincinnati).

All together, there are 12 Meijers in Metro Cincinnati [[10 in Ohio, 2 in Northern Kentucky), they are all 364/24/7 [[Christmas Day being the day they are closed).

Jerry was askin' if they [[Meijer) have rotisserie BBQ whole chickens available at the new store?

I stopped into Meijer&PetCo on Friday afternoon&I was highly impressed with both stores. Petco looks as most Petcos do but the Detroit store was somehow different to me. Maybe it's a[[slight)bit darker paint wise or perhaps it's the front end/checkout section but I was highly impressed with the store&the service I received.
    Meijer is just fantastic. It too looks a bit different than other Meijer stores I've been in but I was very impressed. Wonderful selection of fruits&veggies and phenomenal service from the three employees I sought assistance from. I wasn't in search of anything in particular,I thought,until I saw the store's hummus&olive selection. Seeing those items put me in the mood for tabouli. I searched high&low and couldn't find it anywhere. Finally I asked a man passing if they sold it in that location. This man stopped what he was doing,donned a hairnet and went in the kitchen in search of the tabouli for me. When he came up empty he searched the coolers I'd not looked in&the deli counter. We found that location doesn't carry tabouli but I was grateful and impressed with his effort on my behalf.
    I wish Meijer,Petco,&the other retailers in the plaza all the best and hope they're in the city for decades to come!
    It's wonderful seeing major retail come back to the city of Detroit!
    P.S.Smirnoff I saw whole chickens near the deli section. I didn't notice if they were BBQ or not but they looked&smelled delicious lol!

nice place. different layout than the 'typical' meijer outlet. slightly smaller? I didn't visit everything on my first trip. I noticed brown signage/letters rather than the typical red/blue at other meijer stores. I'm glad they thought enough to include a gas station from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Incidentally, Meijer stores in Ohio ARE NOT 24/7.
    Another item for the list of reasons why I hate Ohio.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast