Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jimmyr Guest

Default Why doesn't Dan Gilbert live in Detroit?

Isn't it a bit hypocritical for him to tell everyone to give Detroit a chance when he drives home to a $4M mansion in tony Franklin each night? I haven't seen the media address this hypocrisy one time.

We could go a step further, Illitchs are all in Bingham Farms, Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. Penskes are in Birmingham, or out of the state entirely. And Rip Rapson, who runs the Kresge Foundation, also lives in Birmingham.
    Last edited by jimmyr; April-27-14 at 02:31 PM.

Because Detroit isn't safe... duh

This again?

Because the rents are too high?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    Isn't it a bit hypocritical for him to tell everyone to give Detroit a chance when he drives home to a $4M mansion in tony Franklin each night? I haven't seen the media address this hypocrisy one time.

We could go a step further, Illitchs are all in Bingham Farms, Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. Penskes are in Birmingham, or out of the state entirely. And Rip Rapson, who runs the Kresge Foundation, also lives in Birmingham.
    Simple...

He's privatizing the profits and socializing the losses....

He's reaping the benefits of Detroit's big city infrastructure without having to actually contend with the problems of Detroit's big city infrastructure.

The media does the same thing to an extent. Let's face it, being licensed to a huge population center like Detroit will garner more attention from people across the nation/world than some podunk suburbs like Southfield or Sterling Heights.

Or they could ignore Detroit all together and invest in S.E Michigan's Tony suburbs only...

I think about it all the time, but I guess it really doesn't matter because they're all so heavily involved in Detroit's revitalization.

I don't think this even needs to be a discussion. Detroit needs responsible investors from everywhere, not just within the city limits. By responsible, I mean investors that don't sit on the land as a speculator, scrap it[[like Bill Hultz), or let it rot like Matty Maroun. There is no major city on Earth that has every investor living in the city limits. Detroit shouldn't be any different.
    Last edited by dmike76; April-27-14 at 05:38 PM.

No, it's a free country. It's fucking awesome that we can live anywhere we want to if you can pay the rent.

They don't want to pay city income tax

I don't really care where he lives or why, but I think it would be pretty funny if someone asked him this to his face. Like, at a press conference or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerojoe View Post
    They don't want to pay city income tax
    You pay city income tax regardless of where you live. You pay some if you work in Detroit, you pay some if you live in Detroit, and you pay double if you live AND work in Detroit.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical for him to tell everyone to give Detroit a chance when he drives home to a $4M mansion in tony Franklin each night?

Gilbert has done a lot of great things for the city. It would be nice if he'd relocate to Detroit and build a mansion there, but I'm not going to hold it against him.

I think it's ridiculous for folks to try to minimize what he's done for the city because he lives in Franklin. He's brought ten thousand jobs to the city, purchased buildings, renovated those buildings, and stuff them with jobs and tenants. He did what Ilitch has always refused to do, built a parking structure.

Gilbert has done more good for the city than most residents [[mainly because he has the means to do so, not because residents are unwilling). So I won't hold it against him if he doesn't live where you want him to live.

So you're not allowed to do business in Detroit if you live in the suburbs? I don't think that's something you want, as suburban folks bring a lot to Detroit, just as Detroit brings a lot to the suburbs.
    Last edited by Scottathew; April-27-14 at 06:06 PM.

jimmyr Guest

I didn't say anyone has to live in city proper to conduct business in city proper. What I am saying is that the biggest cheerleader of Detroit RESIDENTIAL property obviously doesn't find it suitable enough for him an his family to live in. If you don't see the hypocrisy there I don't know what to tell you. Optics are important.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I don't really care where he lives or why, but I think it would be pretty funny if someone asked him this to his face. Like, at a press conference or something.
    Indeed. But he has Crain's, Freep and D News wrapped around his finger, so nobody ever will call him out on his hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Because the rents are too high?

Sooooo, you do have a sense of humor.

Good

Indeed. But he has Crain's, Freep and D News wrapped around his finger, so nobody ever will call him out on his hypocrisy.
    I just gave him a call and ran this by him, he said he has a community that he has decided that you should move to and live in. Would you like that?

I didn't say anyone has to live in city proper to conduct business in city proper. What I am saying is that the biggest cheerleader of Detroit RESIDENTIAL property obviously doesn't find it suitable enough for him an his family to live in. If you don't see the hypocrisy there I don't know what to tell you. Optics are important.
    I don't think you know what hypocrisy means. There are lots of places I'd encourage people to live. I only live in one of them. You make far too many assumptions.

Aren't you being a tad too Hypercritical?

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I just gave him a call and ran this by him, he said he has a community that he has decided that you should move to and live in. Would you like that?
    Cute. Detroit proper is great...so great that the town's biggest ambassador chooses to live 15 miles away. Message received.

Cute. Detroit proper is great...so great that the town's biggest ambassador chooses to live 15 miles away. Message received.
    I choose to live in the Midwest, but Santa Barbara, CA was a better place to live. Message received?

I agree with this quote.

Also, It makes total sense that all of the entrepreneurs that live in Detroit and have suburban companies need to move out of the city. And any property owner that does not live in the city where they conduct business must move into the city where they conduct business.

BTW, If you think Gilbert has a single residence you are naive.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    No, it's a free country. It's fucking awesome that we can live anywhere we want to if you can pay the rent.

Gilbert has championed jobs, investments, business, and the tearing down of abandoned houses.

Nowhere have I seen him telling people that they should live in Detroit. He's certainly encouraged people to do so, but I've never seen him making demands of anyone. Therefore, I don't see any hypocrisy.

Now if Gilbert was pounding his fists in front of the media saying, "EVERYONE SHOULD MOVE BACK TO DETROIT", and then he remains in Franklin, then that would be saying one thing, and doing the opposite.

I think it's funny to be so critical of Gilbert. Name me as many individuals as possible that have made such a large impact on Detroit lately. I can't think of one that has made a greater contribution.

I think eventually we'll think of Duggan as doing more good than Gilbert, as Duggan has the power to change the neighborhoods. However, Gilbert has been a changing force in Detroit, as well as a catalyst to get others to make good changes.

So what do you think the solution is? Should Gilbert move all the jobs back to the suburbs if he chooses not to live in Detroit? Or perhaps should you stop criticizing the gift-horse because he doesn't want to live where you want him to live.
    Last edited by Scottathew; April-27-14 at 07:17 PM.

how many billionaires live in Detroit? How about millionaires? Dan Gilbert is well insulated from crime in Franklin. Probably lives in a gated community. I for 1 think it would be a poor decision on his part to live in Detroit.

The clue may be in how much solidarity exists in Detroit metro; if a political unit of some kind existed above county lines to achieve a cohesive mentality, then it would matter less which part of the metro folks hailed from.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I don't think you know what hypocrisy means. There are lots of places I'd encourage people to live. I only live in one of them. You make far too many assumptions.
    Hypocrisy: Detroit is amazing! You all should move there and be a part of this come back. Me? Um I will be in a safe enclave 15 miles away.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    how many billionaires live in Detroit? How about millionaires? Dan Gilbert is well insulated from crime in Franklin. Probably lives in a gated community. I for 1 think it would be a poor decision on his part to live in Detroit.
    I don't really care about his wealth. He has this agenda to pump Detroit up, which is fantastic, but obviously he doesn't really believe the city is so wonderful or he'd move his family there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast