Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Detroit's Meijer Grand Opening Discussion

Jump to UPDATED Discussion.

Original July 2013 thread starting post is below.
    ===============================
    For those who aren't aware, The Meijer at 8 Mile and Woodward had its grand opening today.

Needless to say, I was impressed. It seemed like your typical Meijer store. It was on jam too, as I'd swear everybody and their momma from all over the city and inner ring suburbs paid a visit to the store today [[granted, the Kroger at 7 Mile and Gratiot was the same way when it first opened)

There were some minor design differences though, such as the interior color being mostly black/brown/white versus the typical red/blue in most other stores. Also, this location only has door in and out [[I'm guessing a subtle way to limit the amount of shrinkage, as security will only have to monitor one door).

Although majority of the shoppers were black, there seemed to be a fair amount Caucasian shoppers mixed in there as well, granted I would say it was less diverse than the Whole Foods in Midtown. Same goes for the employees.

I also like how easy it is to get in and out of the store from 8 Mile, thanks to the Michigan U-Turn and the traffic signal they put at the entrance.

Quite frankly, given this location is just about as close to my neighborhood in NE Detroit as the Roseville and Warren stores, I may start coming here to do any of my food or other shopping.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-25-13 at 09:52 PM.

I'll visit soon. I wonder was the grand opening ceremony filmed?

As a sidebar, in addition to the Meijer, Detroit's first K&G Fashion Superstore and Petco have opened with far less fanfare.

So now you no longer have to leave the city to buy specialty pet supplies for your pets, or for pet grooming. You also no longer have to leave the city to buy dress clothes at reasonable prices.

Although the Marshall sign is up, it has not opened as of yet. There's also a Dots that will be opening soon, in addition to a Payless Shoe Source that's already open.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As a sidebar, in addition to the Meijer, Detroit's first K&G Fashion Superstore and Petco have opened with far less fanfare.

So now you no longer have to leave the city to buy specialty pet supplies for your pets, or for pet grooming.
    You didn't have to leave for pet supplies before--I like Pet Supplies Plus better than Petco anyway, and the store on Livernois is good. No grooming there though.

There wasn't any of the usual BS that makes me drop a store.

Electronics weren't locked behind glass.

There was no bag checker. I'll put up with at a place I signed up to shop at. But a trashy low rent place like Walmart? Please.

It's closer than hopping on the lodge to go to Southfield. If it stays clean I'll keep going.

It's crazy that this is probably the only place in the city I can buy a new videogame console [[I've seen a few game shops on Woodward near Highland Park but I can't speak to the quality).

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    There wasn't any of the usual BS that makes me drop a store.

Electronics weren't locked behind glass.

There was no bag checker. I'll put up with at a place I signed up to shop at. But a trashy low rent place like Walmart? Please.
    All of those security measures cost extra money. Do you think stores WANT to do that, or do you think they do it out of necessity?

If they can't make a profit, they will not operate in Detroit. Simple as that.

I doubt Family Dollar in Dearborn wants to pay for a gun-toting security guard to protect its store, but they have to now. Don't blame the stores, it's not their fault that people target them for crime at higher rates in certain areas than in others.
    Last edited by aj3647; July-27-13 at 12:30 PM.

Many stores in the D have armed security with the exception of Family Dollar, and they are robbed often for the absence. It will be curious to see what the Dearborn location will do. Suburbs are not accustom to having armed guards in their dollar store but things may change.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I doubt Family Dollar in Dearborn wants to pay for a gun-toting security guard to protect its store, but they have to now. Don't blame the stores, it's not their fault that people target them for crime at higher rates in certain areas than in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Many stores in the D have armed security with the exception of Family Dollar, and they are robbed often for the absence. It will be curious to see what the Dearborn location will do. Suburbs are not accustom to having armed guards in their dollar store but things may change.
    I am wondering if all suburban stores will have armed security after [[if) a group of Detroit teens suddenly decide to commit a series of armed robberies at various national stores throughout every suburb.

I like K&G... just brought a pair of shoes there. They carry discounted business and casual clothes etc. mens and womens.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Great news overall. I prefer Meijer over Walmart and have had to go to the 12/ Telegraph or 96 Middlebelt locations up to this point.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-27-13 at 08:29 AM.

There's also a Dots that will be opening soon, in addition to a Payless Shoe Source that's already open.[/QUOTE]
    sorry DOTS will not be opening they filed Bankruptcy earlier this year, they are closing all the stores.
    I do llike this Meijers, just heard on news today one is going to open on the far west side

This may be the only Meijers that isn't open 24 hours a day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Probably true for Metro Detroit [[maybe even the whole state)...but I know many of the "inner ring" suburban Chicago locations have the same hours as Detroit's.

Is it really not 24 hours? That is really strange, certainly have never seen that before.

Some of the locations in the Chicago area aren't open 24 hours. I know the one in Orland Park isn't.

Any decent retail in this city that isn't crappy party stores, hair braiding joints and wig shops is most welcome as far as I'm concerned.

let the shoplifting begin

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    let them start at django's place

Its a documented fact that most shrinkage is internal

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Its a documented fact that most shrinkage is internal
    That is so true. The last retail position I had, had a simple method. Stuff people wanted went out with the trash at night and stowed behind dumpsters. No one to report it to cause managers did it too.

Will you be making your 'five-finger' discount selections shortly?

Most of the Meijers I've been to have two entrances one of which is closed later at night. This one has only one entrance with a guard stationed in the middle. Don't know if this is how they are building them now or if this is the urban store configuration

Yes I saw on the website 6am-11pm hopefully it will one day be 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Yes I saw on the website 6am-11pm hopefully it will one day be 24/7
    Yeah I looked as well. Very odd, I wonder if this is the first. That's one of the things that I really love about Meijer, and could have influenced me specifically to go to this one [[a lot of stuff closes early in the city).

Who in the hell needs to be in a grocery store after 11 pm anyway? Meijers is smart. Why stay open 24 hours and have the predators waiting for the few people going in and coming out of the store and then have news stories on TV and radio reporting on the crimes going on in the parking lot in the early morning hours? This just scares away people who would normally go to the store during regular business hours. Is Whole Foods open 24 hours? Maybe one day they'll be open 24/7. Remember: Detroit ain't paradise yet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast